Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Random mods.
bvc
Guests
May 27, 2012 - 5:10 am

1) Does it matter what "k" the potentiometer is for throttle control?

2) Isn't the trim on the S107 remote a potentiometer? Could this be used?

Syma Freak
Admin
May 24, 2012 - 5:21 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Raptor said
I've just performed my first few mods on the S800G, and I think I'm starting to like it.

So far I've done:

Image Enlarger

The Battery Charge mod (so I can use my balance charger on it)

Image Enlarger

The Throttle limiter (it works very well)

Image EnlargerImage Enlarger

and finally the S807G mod. (essentially removing the "servo"Laugh, and replacing it with the tail & Prop off a S107)

So overall it now fly's like a S107, but with more lift, and a 4th channel. Cool

As you know from other posts I am really getting into the S800G ,so really stoked to see your mods already-great work Raptor.

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

bvc
Guests
May 24, 2012 - 2:34 pm

So limiting the throttle does just that, right? Since we don't need it all, this is ok, and limiting it reduces how sensitive it is?

Are you going to convert to mode2? I ask because on another forum where I saw it done, two people did it differently and both claimed to have mode2.

bvc
Guests
May 24, 2012 - 11:52 am

S807G? Need a video man!

Raptor
Guests
May 24, 2012 - 9:53 am

I've just performed my first few mods on the S800G, and I think I'm starting to like it.

So far I've done:

Image Enlarger

The Battery Charge mod (so I can use my balance charger on it)

Image Enlarger

The Throttle limiter (it works very well)

Image EnlargerImage Enlarger

and finally the S807G mod. (essentially removing the "servo"Laugh, and replacing it with the tail & Prop off a S107)

So overall it now fly's like a S107, but with more lift, and a 4th channel. Cool

bvc
Guests
May 23, 2012 - 1:17 pm

Raptor said
Is the Aileron (left/right tilt) control also a problem?

Not for me. It has a dead zone, but I think it's a good thing.

Raptor
Guests
May 23, 2012 - 2:58 am

Is the Aileron (left/right tilt) control also a problem?

If so i believe that i could increase the precision of the stick, by removing some of the dead zone on the left and right of the stick in a similar way to the throttle (sorry I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but essentially it takes the middle 50% of the stick, and stretches it out)

The more advanced explanation (full left on modded = half left on Original)

Stick movement Original resistance Modded resistance
Full left 0.00Kohm 1.25Kohm
Half left 1.25Kohm 1.875Kohm
Middle 2.50Kohm 2.50Kohm
Half right 3.75Kohm 3.125Kohm
Half right 5.00Kohm 3.75Kohm

So far, from my calculations. This should be able to be accomplished with a 5Kohm resistor, and one 1.2kohm resistor.

If anyone is interested in testing this before I have a chance to do so, here is how it will probably be done.

Image Enlarger

(Image of S107 transmitter) (red=cut, blue=wire)

Syma Freak
Admin
May 22, 2012 - 1:33 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Raptor your expertise is amazing,looking forward to more info on the S800G-BVC is correct about the throttle control on the 800G-Going to try the potentiometer mod idea-really great topic and advice,thanks guys.

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

bvc
Guests
May 22, 2012 - 10:24 am

Awesome. Looking forward to how well that works on the s800g. Does it limit overall speed on the 107? That's one thing I can't give up! Cool

Raptor
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 9:03 am

If you send me a photograph of the front and back of the transmitter's circuit, i think I can walk you through it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: *facepalm* (sorry about the over complicated/incorrect explanation earlier, I was writing when I should have been sleeping)

All you should need to do, is use a 22k pot connected to the accelerator potentiometer on the board. (image is of a S107 transmitter, but should be similar to the S800G.

Image Enlarger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit(2):

After performing the mod on my S107 transmitter, I can confirm that it is possible to limit the throttle.

This is a easy mod to perform, as it requires only one 22K Variable Resistor, connected with 2 wires.

There is no need to cut circuit traces, and can easily be removed with no damage to the transmitter if it is no longer required.

Throttle limit.Image Enlarger

With this mod, i was able to limit the height that I could obtain with my S107.

bvc
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 9:01 am

That's all sorta greek to me. Well I know what cutting a trace is and what's going on (learning about converting to Mode 2), but would have to be told where to do it. Maybe I should wait til I have a second controller in case I screw it up? That's why I haven't converted to Mode 2. I sure do want to do both though.

Raptor
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 7:19 am

Applying a cap to the maximum throttle should be quite a easy fix with 2 resistors, or a potentiometer.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

These circuits would cap the top speed at about 60%.

This mod would require cutting the circuit trace from the central pin of the throttle potentiometer, and adding a 10k potentiometer/2 resistors in between.

Edit: Sorry I cant be more specific about how to connect this up to your transmitter, Ideally I need to see a photograph of the front and back of the transmitter to determine solder points, and which tracks to cut. (Google isn't returning any useful images, other than how to convert it Mode 2)

bvc
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 7:16 am

You can see what I am talking about a little here (start 2:15). He says 1/32" but I was thinking from the top of the knob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....KjPUDFYgaA

bvc
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 7:06 am

Thanks!

You never give the S8000G full throttle. Not even close. 3/16" up and you are hovering and raising the throttle another 1/4" will quickly put you into the ceiling if you are not careful. I already lengthened the sticks on the remote for more control,

S800G knob modImage Enlarger

which helped, but basically, it seems like all the power you will ever need is about half throttle.

Raptor
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 6:33 am

Yes that would work, but I would recommend this Potentiometer as it looks to be lighter http://www.radioshack.com/prod.....nSession=1

I haven't got my hands on a s800g yet, but I assume that it only has 1 gyroscope.

This mod will only work on a gyroscope controlled channel such as the steering, so it probably wont be able to modify the throttle.

However can you please describe how you mean touchy. Does it react too fast to your control, or is it overpowered. (if it is either one, it can be fixed)

p.s. I started this thread for any mods, on any helicopter, so the s800g isn't a problem. It is also meant to be a place for people to request,improve, and upload their own mods.

bvc
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 2:26 am

Raptor said
The GYRO mod works.

Image Enlarger

The Gyroscope mod: This advanced mod allow the R5 board to be able to turn a LOT faster than normal (or the R3, and still be perfectly stable).

By using something known as a voltage divider,we can reduce the sensitivity of the output on the gyroscope.

Using a 10k potentiometer, I am able to easily adjust the turning speed/sensitivity from 100% all of the way to 0%

Image Enlarger V1 of mod

Image Enlarger V2 of mod

Image Enlarger Potentiometer glued to underbelly of helicopter for quick adjustment.

However this mod requires very fine hand movement to solder onto the there is very little area to solder to on the board (~1mm x ~2mm), so may be very difficult to accomplish.

Would this work on the throttle from the remote? The reason I ask is because the new S800G has an extremely touchy throttle, and it would be great if this could reduce that. I don't want to change this into a S800G issue. Just curious. Thanks!

bvc
Guests
May 21, 2012 - 1:49 am

Raptor said
Thanks,

A potentiometer is a type of Voltage/Potential divider, as it produces a fraction of its input voltage. Wiki

Think this one would work?

http://www.radioshack.com/prod.....ntiometers

Product Diameter   0.55 inche

Raptor said

All of the images I use are hosted on image shack, so in not sure why your firewall should be locking some but not others. If you are still having difficultly viewing them, try having a look through here

It's my dns server. I use it as a filter. I don't know why it would see only two, but I added imageshack so I can see them all now. Thanks!

Raptor
Guests
May 20, 2012 - 7:52 pm

Thanks,

A potentiometer is a type of Voltage/Potential divider, as it produces a fraction of its input voltage. Wiki

All of the images I use are hosted on image shack, so in not sure why your firewall should be locking some but not others. If you are still having difficultly viewing them, try having a look through here

bvc
Guests
May 20, 2012 - 11:44 am

Pretty sweet!

You mentioned a "voltage divider" and a "10k potentiometer". Two different things? I'm seeing the last two pics in your post but not the first two. Are the hosted on different sites? What site is the first two hosted on, so I can allow it through my filter?

Raptor
Guests
May 20, 2012 - 10:28 am

Sorry about the slant to the video, and my hands being out of center of the shot.

This was taken with my first attempt at a head mounted video camera (essentially a camera, bolt, hard-hat and a stick. all duct taped together)

p.s. Do you prefer videos with or without music?

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2