Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Random mods.
wannabe_pilot
Guests
August 16, 2012 - 1:51 am
121sp_Permalink sp_Print

i think i narrowed down the problem to the capacitor i used...it was marked 105 which i think translates to 1uf...in the pdf you specify a 10uf ceramic capacitor, but the only 10uf ones i have are electrolytic...are they interchangeable or should i go find a 10uf ceramic?

Raptor
Guests
August 14, 2012 - 8:46 pm

I am glad to hear that you have started the mod, and am sorry that you are having difficulties with it.

just to check, the 433mhz module is the one from RobotShop.

I took my IR receiver out of my helicopter, to use in my transmitter side circuit, this helps to reduce the possibility of mismatched parts.

Did you take the IR receiver out of a old helicopter or did you order it? if you ordered it, can you send the details so i can make sure that it is correct.

I would also recommend that you remove the IR receiver on the helicopter, as it can cause some issues with the signal interference.

can you please upload some images of it, there may be something i could spot on it.

Edit: The antenna's on both the transmitter and helicopter should be 174mm long. For the best signal, the antennas should be identical.

wannabe_pilot
Guests
August 12, 2012 - 9:10 pm

great ideas raptor! can't wait to see what you come up with... i actually ordered a breadboard and have my first arduino coming in the mail soon

i got a chance to try the RF conversion mod and, no surprise, it doesn't seem to work the first time. i think i have the tx part down, the LED lights when i give throttle, albeit with a slight delay (not sure if that's reflected in actual flight).

am i supposed to disconnect the IR led from the rx? i didn't, and i'm wondering if that could be the source of my problem.  fwiw, i also cut both antennae on the tx and rx to 174mm and the perf board and rx cb are both wired to the 9v/gnd pads in the tx

edit: i see from the IR thread that you suggest 16/32cm for the rx/tx....i think your most recent recommendation is 174mm for the rx antenna...does that mean the tx antenna is supposed to be twice as long?

Raptor
Guests
August 12, 2012 - 4:55 am
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

How about a way to make a custom transmitter for the S107, that costs under £10/$16. and allows you to make your own case how you like.

It can be placed inside a old 3ch Hobby transmitter, if you want a bigger transmitter.

You could use a old video-game console pad, or (with a bit of simple tweaking to the code) a Wii Nun-chuck (for one handed use)

This can all be achieved by using an Arduino, 4 potentiometers, a resistor, and a IR LED. That's it ;)

This project should allow some more creativity with mods. Such as Macro's to do stunts such as a Spin, with a single button press.

I will be looking into:

-adapting it to work on the S800g (should be an easy way to replace that dam tiny transmitter),

-A battery voltage monitor (i.e. LED or buzzer),

-Rudder/Pitch exponential rates,

-Using a LCD, if there is any need ;)

more details & code to come soon,

Syma Freak
Admin
August 3, 2012 - 5:16 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

CPD said
Oh, yeah, we do all kinds of stuff like that at OA weekends... all kinds of random stuff that "never happened" and whatnot. At the one weekend, they threw a toilet off of the climbing tower, this past weekend (back in June) the activities committee had a bunch of glowsticks that you're supposed to shake in a tube or something, but we figured out that if you cut the one end off, you got a blow dart shooter, which made for some insane fun at 1AM.

Trust me, though, you can't get much more random than what we end up doing at OA weekends...

Come to Sydney..flying on a Sunday booze flows.helis and planes crashed,then we all try to cook awesome food on the Barbi. tastes like s--- another fly in the dark.leave the car for a mile walk home-CPD nothing wrong with madness as long as we hurt no onel Embarassed

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Syma Freak
Admin
August 3, 2012 - 5:09 pm
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

Raptor said
As i will be offline for the next few days, on a camping trip.

I have updated the RF Mod guide. (sorry its late)

It is missing a few of the last images, but hopefully it calcifies some aspects of the setup.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/.....1e086n3w44

Talk to you all again in 4 days. But for now, its time for sleep.

Enjoy the break you deserve it- watch out for midgets-lol

CPD
Guests
August 3, 2012 - 3:28 am
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, yeah, we do all kinds of stuff like that at OA weekends... all kinds of random stuff that "never happened" and whatnot. At the one weekend, they threw a toilet off of the climbing tower, this past weekend (back in June) the activities committee had a bunch of glowsticks that you're supposed to shake in a tube or something, but we figured out that if you cut the one end off, you got a blow dart shooter, which made for some insane fun at 1AM.

Trust me, though, you can't get much more random than what we end up doing at OA weekends...

Raptor
Guests
August 3, 2012 - 12:18 am
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your kind words, and i think it will be a bit like scouts, with a lot more random stuff thrown in (like water pistol fights in the rain)

Sorry if i keep going a bit to advanced, i try and keep it simple when i can, but forget to when i get into the flow.

I had a thought last night, that the S107, and its transmitter are based on Attiny chips such as the 24, 44, or 84. (smart computer chips) that could potentialy be re-programmed.

If this was possible, some of the hard ware mods could be converted to software, on both the transmitter and S107, if we can make re-make the code from scratch.

the long shot of this, (if we can re-make the software from scratch), is we could easily convert the S107 transmitter to control a s800g, make the S107v5 do flips like the V3, and other improvements.

Or use other parts such as an Arduino to make custom transmitters, Such as the Wii nun-chuck one discussed on this forum, or use the trainer port on a hobby Transmitter (i.e. Futaba skysport 6).

CPD
Guests
August 2, 2012 - 11:26 pm
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, I can actually post in this thread again with something I have any clue on...

Hope you have fun with your camping trip! You'll definatly need the sleep--especially if it's anything like the camping trips I go on with scouts. lol

Raptor
Guests
August 2, 2012 - 11:15 am
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

As i will be offline for the next few days, on a camping trip.

I have updated the RF Mod guide. (sorry its late)

It is missing a few of the last images, but hopefully it calcifies some aspects of the setup.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/.....1e086n3w44

Talk to you all again in 4 days. But for now, its time for sleep.

bvc
Guests
July 30, 2012 - 12:45 am
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

The paddles really seem to help!

Syma Freak
Admin
July 29, 2012 - 5:22 pm
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Really neat mod and videos showed it well.great effort!!

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 5:41 pm

i apologize in advance for the quality of the vids, but here's a few clips showing some of the speed she can get with the paddles, even at the tail-end of her battery...if i wasn't trying to keep her in frame, she could easily cruise (read: rocket) around like she does toward the end of v1.2

(follow the LED ;) )

most of the other clips were along this line...Embarassed watch it in fullscreen haha

LOL it makes me laugh every time Surprised

bvc
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 10:15 am

wannabe_pilot said

bvc, the paddles are for the carbon fiber flybar for the msr...i purchased them to do a paddle mod to my new v911, but the v911 isn't here yet so i figured, why not.

the paddles seem to give the flight more "purpose"....she's definitely faster in flight but less forgiving if you push her too hard (see my split blade)

Oh, they looked smaller. Maybe it's the angle of the pic. Or maybe my eyes! LOL

I can see how they'd be less forgiving on a 107.

I have two v911's. No paddles. I'm in the process of making my own CF flybar using the v911 hub, like people did for the Solo Pro. My current flybar is the v911 with the ends cut off with 1/16" wheel collars. The CF bar will be the same concept but longer for a little more stability and a little less response.

SAF_Dogface
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 10:08 am
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Raptor can you send me a link.

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 9:57 am

Raptor said

@Wannabe Piolot

Are you in the UK? If so i can send you any of the extra parts you may need, just send me a PM and i will see what I can do.

The S107 quad copter is being quite troublesome, i cant get it light enough to lift both itself, and a battery. Which is quite a problem.

Ah, thanks much for the offer, but i'm all the way in Los Angeles. If i need anything specific, i'll be sure to message you.

This is a little brainstorm from the double motor voltage topic from a few weeks ago---If i wired a second battery in series (negative to positive cb terminal), would i have a 7.4v supply between the 2nd battery's positive lead and the negative terminal on the cb while still supplying the cb with 3.7v?

i need a second voltage supply >5v but don't really want to add a bunch of button cells....if so, can i wire a 150mah in series with a 240mah? what problems would arise? would it affect charging somehow? (they both have protection circuits)

mark: there is a pretty extensive thread raptor wrote on a different forum... i dont want to link it here but its in one of my recent posts...it has pics as well as a link to buy and even a pdf with instructions

SAF_Dogface
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 9:48 am
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can do wonders with CF. Send me some pics of your heli and the weight. I will see if I can make a kit for you and lose a little weight with it. Yes I would like to order the parts that I need. Can you send me a link for the parts. Also what is the weight  and size on the unit going into the heli.

Raptor
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 8:28 am
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

@SAF

Is there anything you need to assist you in adding the mod to your show?

If you haven't already, i would recommend ordering the RF modules now, so you have time to test it and get it working.

i also see that you are not using S111G blades, However  I assume that you get enough lift with all of your modding, to not need them.

@Wannabe Piolot

Are you in the UK? If so i can send you any of the extra parts you may need, just send me a PM and i will see what I can do.

The S107 quad copter is being quite troublesome, i cant get it light enough to lift both itself, and a battery. Which is quite a problem.

SAF_Dogface
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 7:58 am
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a  RC toy show I am doing at the VFW hall in town. I would really like to add the RF mod to the show on this s107. The show is in 3 weeks. I still have a little work to do on this one but everything ales in ready. Albert, After you get it all set up let me know so I can get started, Thanks

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/SAF-Dogface/2012-07-27141250.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/SAF-Dogface/2012-07-27141156.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/SAF-Dogface/2012-07-17203340.jpgImage Enlarger

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 7:16 am

thanks for the comments, all!

bvc, the paddles are for the carbon fiber flybar for the msr...i purchased them to do a paddle mod to my new v911, but the v911 isn't here yet so i figured, why not.

the paddles seem to give the flight more "purpose"....she's definitely faster in flight but less forgiving if you push her too hard (see my split blade)

i used 22ohm on red bc it's rated a Vf 2.0v whereas green and blue were rated Vf 3.0v

the RF mod was the first mod I wanted to do when i got my first S107 and i finally know how to read the schematics you posted, Raptor! I actually ordered the 433mhz rx/tx last night so soon i'll truly have an outdoor S107 and i can get a good video of outdoor flight with the paddles

i also actually have a set of s111g blades (easily one of the best, easiest, and most overlooked mods) AND carbon fiber sides...but first i want to get a video of a "stock" s107 with the paddles for comparison sake then i'll add all the goodiesCool

i hope you get some time to mod soon, you're a huge part of the reason i got so into this....hows the quadcopter coming along??Laugh

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2