Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Random mods.
Raptor
Guests
May 20, 2012 - 5:51 am

The GYRO mod works.

Image Enlarger

The Gyroscope mod: This advanced mod allow the R5 board to be able to turn a LOT faster than normal (or the R3, and still be perfectly stable).

By using something known as a voltage divider,we can reduce the sensitivity of the output on the gyroscope.

Using a 10k potentiometer, I am able to easily adjust the turning speed/sensitivity from 100% all of the way to 0%

Image Enlarger V1 of mod

Image Enlarger V2 of mod

Image Enlarger Potentiometer glued to underbelly of helicopter for quick adjustment.

However this mod requires very fine hand movement to solder onto the there is very little area to solder to on the board (~1mm x ~2mm), so may be very difficult to accomplish.

Raptor
Guests
May 19, 2012 - 10:01 am

A teaser for my next mod. (whilst I check that there are no problems with its implementation)

What's the main drawback using a R5 instead of a R3?

MUHAHaha.....Image Enlarger

The Impossible IS POSSIBLE. Cool
The problem is now fixed, and now at least TWICE a good. (more info, and explanation to come soon)

Raptor
Guests
May 17, 2012 - 9:40 am

Here are some pics of the chanel reverse mod, It allows the Silverlit propellers to be used without flipping the tail over.

Edit:does anybody know how to make the images work, without everyone having to resize them when they want to look at them?

Edit: FIXED (hopefully) 😛

Raptor
Guests
May 17, 2012 - 12:57 am

Thanks. ^_^

The reason I'm willing to potentially sacrifice my helicopters is because I purchased a lot of them from amazon for spares,thinking that they would be an interesting project to improve my electrical skills, and try and help a fantastic community at the same time.

So far I've had a lot of fun, trying to accomplish mods that didn't work, and even more with the ones that did.

The next projects are hopefully making the RF mod plug and play, and the QuadCopter S107 Cool

p.s. Please fell free to suggest any ideas for what you want me to work on next.

CPD
Guests
May 17, 2012 - 12:40 am

I've done the primary thing with that where you flip the rotor, and I think it's a really effective way to speed it up. It allows the blade to accidentally take more damage at some times when close to the ground, but protects it when up in the air. It also helps keep the blade on the shaft, and I think it gives it a more lift at full speed. (although thinking into it, there isn't a real scientific backing on that, but it seems like it helps give it some more speed even if it had the stock blade)

Man, keep up the great work, that's a lot more than what any of the rest of us are willing to spend on these things! Just about everything you've done so-far is all stuff that wll of us either thought impossable, or at least impossable for amatures like us to do.

Raptor
Guests
May 16, 2012 - 9:52 pm

Here's a potentially, easier way to preform the speed mod.

As rotating the motor over to make the Silverlit props spin in the right direction or re-wire the motors connection, are not ideal fixes. The solution may be to reverse the polarity of the pitch stick, or add a switch to allow reversing of the channel when its needed.

****Pictures to come soon***

Raptor
Guests
May 16, 2012 - 5:57 am

This time its another mod, on the battery.

This simple patch allows the battery charger port to have direct access to the battery without the diode, at all times.Laugh

Image Enlarger

The reasoning behind this mod, is the safety features on the charger socket are causing me problems when trying to use the discharge function on my balance charger.

I also decided that I would like to still access the battery once the helicopter is turned ON. As a result of this i can now have the potential to piggyback a removable battery into the socket, or use it to power a removable 3v external device, etc.

Hopefully some fun stuff can be made as a result of this simple mod Cool

Edit: This works great with my balance charger, I did a full discharge cycle, and have recharged with the balance charger. Now it is returning a more realistic battery capacity of 156mAh, shame it takes about 1 and a half hours to charge at 100mah though.

However it did get just over 6minutes of (constant movement) flight without any other mods.

Raptor
Guests
May 16, 2012 - 4:41 am

Supernova,

That's good to hear, they have improved their calibration over the years, and the real one isn't too bad from the reviews ive read. you should get a few years happy use out of it 🙂

Supernova
Guests
May 16, 2012 - 1:42 am

Raptor,

Yep the SKYRC  "laser sticker" is there and the QC pass thing is there to.

I ordered it from Hobby King so should be ok.

BTW CPD I only payed £29 As for UK £80 + so not worried if it is fake, if it is well the bin is next to me.

Raptor
Guests
May 15, 2012 - 6:11 am

Hopefully you have the official SKYRC charger with the "laser sticker" (even the original is a clone, of the Turningy or Bantam B6)

Image Enlarger

If not, be careful, do not leave it unattended. And check the output voltages with a multimeter.

Unfortunately, unlike a fake s107, the fake chargers are not calibrated, and have a nasty habit of not balancing batteries correctly, or over charging them Surprised. (I found all of this out the day after I purchased mine Cry and then had to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive *facepalm*)

CPD
Guests
May 15, 2012 - 5:45 am

Sounds like my kind of luck there, SN! Hopefully yours will be a good, solid charger worth the insane price you paid for it.

By the same token, if you think about it, most people'd say that s107's are mostly all fakes or clones too.

Supernova
Guests
May 15, 2012 - 1:41 am

OH POO!!! I just got me an imax YellCry

Raptor
Guests
May 14, 2012 - 8:48 am

Here's another mod of sorts.

I'm always cautious when it comes to Li-po's, as I've had a few problems with them in the past, and now I'm slightly paranoid around themEmbarassed

The electronics inside the USB charger, on examination are really basic. So i decided on finding a alternative (safer?) way of charging. Using what I had on hand, the chargers I've adapted to be capable of charging the S107 are:

Image Enlarger

A Ultrafire WF-139 or WF-188 - this gives a nice 300ma fast charge, and also a basic LED that indicates that its fully charged, capable of charging two helicopters at once, and seems to be safe if left on for longer than needed.

Image Enlarger

A Lipo Balace charger - These are fantastic chargers, they can charge almost ANY battery you through at them (Li-po, Li-ion, Li-Fe, NiMh, Nicd, SLA), they have a LCD screen that tells you how many mAh your battery has taken Cool and a audible alarm that it has fully charged. Theoretically capable of charging up to 6 helicopters at once.

However this type of charger has gone the same way as the S107 itself, and there are so many clones you cant tell which one is a original. I highly recommend >this<. AVOID iMAX at all costs, they are mostly Clones, OF A CLONE, as I found out the hard way Yell

Supernova
Guests
May 9, 2012 - 4:19 am

SurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprised

Its a con the house is upside down LaughWink

Raptor
Guests
May 9, 2012 - 3:10 am

I found this on youtube a while ago, I tried it myself and couldn't believe that it worked 😛

Syma Freak
Admin
May 7, 2012 - 10:21 am
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Raptor said
Thanks, I hope that you find the mod useful Smile. And I'm not bothered about credit, I just want to help people get more fun out of their stuff.

Before you do the mod, just try controlling the helicopter when there is no cover on the transmitter, essential you will get the same effect on handling.

Great effort and idea,I know Supernova will have his remote being remodeled to the max!

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Raptor
Guests
May 7, 2012 - 9:08 am

Thanks, I hope that you find the mod useful Smile. And I'm not bothered about credit, I just want to help people get more fun out of their stuff.

Before you do the mod, just try controlling the helicopter when there is no cover on the transmitter, essential you will get the same effect on handling.

Supernova
Guests
May 7, 2012 - 3:20 am

I will look into this and ad a video, This looks very interesting (you will get the credit) The Dremel is charging Wink

Raptor
Guests
May 7, 2012 - 3:11 am

Thanks for the very nice video Smile i've done the spring removal on the throttle, and have been wondering how to increase the resistance on the stick, that's a ingenious way to resolve it.

However, I was referring to the stick on the right, with the circular hole. If you file it square it seems to increases the maneuverability of the helicopter whilst at full speed.

Image Enlarger

Supernova
Guests
May 6, 2012 - 6:41 pm

Have a look at my Video Ben.

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters: