Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Random mods.
Raptor
Guests
July 28, 2012 - 12:28 am
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool mod, that looks really awesome.

Is there any reason why you used a 2x 10 Ohm resistors and 1x 22 Ohm resistor? (was one of the colors too bright?)

Very nice placement of the channel reversal switch, and Gyro mod potentiometer. they look like they were meant to be there.

I especially like the the paddles, do they make any noticeable difference to the flight?

Also as you seem to be modding it to the max, look into getting a set of S111G blades for more thrust, and possibly making/buying a carbon fiber frame.

P.s. I will finish the RF mod guide off over this weekend, sorry it has taken me so long, i've just not had the time lately to do anything fun :(

bvc
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 11:07 pm
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Never thought I'd see paddles on a 107. I guess you did the RF mod so you can fly outside? Where'd you get the paddles?

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 8:31 pm

have you seen this pic?

with the heli facing you, number the terminals 1-7 from the left.

anode is connected to 1. base color cathode is connected to 6. reverse is connected to 4. forward is connected to 3.

i hope this helps. if not, i can take some better pics. let me know

-al

Image Enlarger

azhag
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 6:11 pm

Nice idea for placing gyro mod wires and tail inverting switch. And RGB LED is awesome! I thought about UV LED to highlight the blades from below -- they're white so it should look cool, but the RGB is even cooler. Could you please give more details how to do it? I'm not really sure where the cathodes should be wired to.

About the speed, guess you can limit the speed if required the same way Raptor limited  the throttle here: http://syma107.com/forum/gener.....e-2/#p4233

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 2:30 pm

CPD said

wannabe_pilot said

and here's a quick video of an LED mod i did

Wow, that is really Cool!!!!! I started watching thinking you meant like lighing in front for going foreward, lighting in rear for reverse, but man, that is really freaking cool!!!

As per this topic anymore, well...

http://memegenerator.net/insta.....e/24024571

I have no idea what so ever what I'm doing here anymore. Good think I'm not going to school for electrical engineering, cause I'm totally lost in space. (and that is why we turn to raptor)

lol i wish i were an engineer..this stuff is so interestingWink

there's a pic in the album that explains how the LED was wired up. if you can solder its pretty easy

CPD
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 12:23 pm

wannabe_pilot said

Wow, that is really Cool!!!!! I started watching thinking you meant like lighing in front for going foreward, lighting in rear for reverse, but man, that is really freaking cool!!!

As per this topic anymore, well...

http://memegenerator.net/insta.....e/24024571

I have no idea what so ever what I'm doing here anymore. Good think I'm not going to school for electrical engineering, cause I'm totally lost in space. (and that is why we turn to raptor)

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 8:47 am

I got my first S107 just over a month ago, here are some of the mods that i've done (the one's I've gotten pictures of, anyway)

hope you enjoy :)

S107 Mods

Image Enlarger

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 27, 2012 - 7:35 am

azhag said
Are you sure you have cut the connection between the middle and the right pin on remote's board?

ahhh thanks! i did not and that is surely the problem

Raptor
Guests
July 26, 2012 - 3:15 am

Sorry I haven't been active on the forum recently.

Can you please upload a closeup photo of the place where you soldered it onto the board.

also as azhag said, check that you have cut the tracks.

azhag
Guests
July 26, 2012 - 1:58 am

Are you sure you have cut the connection between the middle and the right pin on remote's board?

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 24, 2012 - 6:29 pm

Raptor said
Here are some pics of the chanel reverse mod, It allows the Silverlit propellers to be used without flipping the tail over.

Edit:does anybody know how to make the images work, without everyone having to resize them when they want to look at them?

Edit: FIXED (hopefully) 😛

i did this mod with a spdt switch but nothing changes when i flip it. would the mod not work if the wire gauge is too small?

wannabe_pilot
Guests
July 17, 2012 - 9:34 pm

azhag said

Edit(2):
After performing the mod on my S107 transmitter, I can confirm that it is possible to limit the throttle.

This is a easy mod to perform, as it requires only one 22K Variable Resistor, connected with 2 wires.

There is no need to cut circuit traces, and can easily be removed with no damage to the transmitter if it is no longer required.

Throttle limit.Image Enlarger

With this mod, i was able to limit the height that I could obtain with my S107.

I wonder if you can combine this mod with gyro mod:

a) first increase the turning speed with "classic" gyro mod,

b) then use a potentiometer to fine tune sensitivity of the right stick  in controller, and therefore adjust in-flight the turning speed of the helicopter.

thats a very interesting idea...would trim adjustments be a problem during flight or would that be irrelevant as you adjust trim to the initial gyro setting and are only controlling the pulse widths during flight?

azhag
Guests
July 9, 2012 - 5:12 am

Edit(2):
After performing the mod on my S107 transmitter, I can confirm that it is possible to limit the throttle.

This is a easy mod to perform, as it requires only one 22K Variable Resistor, connected with 2 wires.

There is no need to cut circuit traces, and can easily be removed with no damage to the transmitter if it is no longer required.

Throttle limit.Image Enlarger

With this mod, i was able to limit the height that I could obtain with my S107.

I wonder if you can combine this mod with gyro mod:

a) first increase the turning speed with "classic" gyro mod,

b) then use a potentiometer to fine tune sensitivity of the right stick  in controller, and therefore adjust in-flight the turning speed of the helicopter.

Raptor
Guests
June 21, 2012 - 4:15 am

I wondered why i couldn't find this thread, its become a sticky. Woo 😛

wannabe_pilot said

would it be possible to wire... a socket for the 2nd battery?

Yes, you would need one socket and 2 plugs,

One plug would be connected onto the battery, and the other plug would be shorted together, to allow the helicopter to run with only 1 battery.

wannabe_pilot said

how would you use the aluminum body as a heat sink?

as the motors are in close contact to the aluminum case of the helicopter, a thermally conductive paste placed between the motor and the aluminum would potentially allow the heat to be dissipated more efficiently.

wannabe_pilot said

would i need to increase the duty cycle as the voltage in the batteries drops throughout the flight?

I don't think you would need to do anything complicated, as the helicopter has pretty stable lift throughout the flight, due to the  manual adjustment of the throttle by the person controlling the helicopter to keep it at the same altitude.

wannabe_pilot said

would this (http://www.sourcingmap.com/wh1.....66374.html) potentiometer work for the throttle mod? what would i do with the 4th pin?

that potentiometer should work fine, however it is a bit big, and the forth pin is not needed, it is only used to "ground" the case

I normally use parts designed to be mounted on a circuit board, as they are smaller, and cheaper. Like these on eBay

wannabe_pilot said

is it possible to measure the voltage/amps of the motors?

it is possible to measure the amps of the motors by using a multimeter.

remove the red/white motor cables from the circuit board, and connect them to one of the terminals on the multimeter.

Connect the other terminal of your multimeter to the positive terminal of the battery.

wannabe_pilot said

i'm fairly certain i have a problem that is gyro-related.

Could you please give a few details?

wannabe_pilot said

Assuming two batteries in series connected to the motors, could a "turbo" button be created

yes, however it would be easier to use a SPST toggle switch, so that you wouldn't have to hold it down all of the time.

however i'm not sure it the way you described the setup will work correctly, i will have a look into it.

wannabe_pilot said

Was originally going to use a 25k linear potentiometer but couldn't figure out how i'd quickly make throttle adjustments while flying without risking overdoing it

I wouldn't suggest trying to adjust the potentiometer while you are flying, it is easyer to adjust once your helicopter is grounded.

Once you have found the sweet-spot, between heat and thrust, you can hide the potentiometer away inside of your transmitter.

-Ben

wannabe_pilot
Guests
June 20, 2012 - 12:45 pm

Hello again,

I've been mulling over a few more things:

Assuming two batteries in series connected to the motors, could a "turbo" button be created with http://www.radioshack.com/prod.....Value=SPDT that has a ~10k resistor on one leg and a ~5k resistor on the other? I'd wire it to close through the 10k resistor normally, causing the duty cycle to decrease to 55-60% while pressing the button would close the circuit through the 5k resistor, allowing a momentary duty cycle of ~77%

Was originally going to use a 25k linear potentiometer but couldn't figure out how i'd quickly make throttle adjustments while flying without risking overdoing it

-al

wannabe_pilot
Guests
June 17, 2012 - 7:19 pm

wow! thanks for the quick and thorough reply!

i'm not an engineer, but i wish i were, as this is all very interesting to me. bear with me as i run something by you..

would it be possible to wire the positive wires of the motors to the positive end of a female battery connector and the the negative end of the connector to the positive terminal on the cb, allowing for a socket for the 2nd battery? but if i wanted to run my heli at full throttle on a single battery, could i replace the second battery with a male plug that has its wires soldered to each other, completing the circuit? how would you use the aluminum body as a heat sink?

would i need to increase the duty cycle as the voltage in the batteries drops throughout the flight? would this (http://www.sourcingmap.com/wh1.....66374.html) potentiometer work for the throttle mod? what would i do with the 4th pin?

lastly, is it possible to measure the voltage/amps of the motors? i'm fairly certain i have a problem that is gyro-related, but i'd like to check the motors also for the peace of mind

thanks for the help!

Raptor
Guests
June 17, 2012 - 9:46 am

Hello Wannabe Pilot , A big welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy the Gyro mod, and hope that you like you will like the other mods as much.

Wow, that’s a lot of questions, I hope I can answer them all.

wannabe_pilot said

I want to do the IR to RF mod you posted.... but do you plan on finishing the instructions?

Finishing the instructions was put on the back burners until someone showed interest in building the circuit. Now that you have, I will try my best to finish the Instructions within the next 2 days.

wannabe_pilot said

i spent hours trying to see if the main motors could be replaced with more powerful to generate more lift but couldn't find anything pertinent.

what is the rpm of the main motors? are there viable alternatives?

Sorry I don’t know what RPM the motor spins at. And I’m not personally aware of any alternatives.

wannabe_pilot said

have you given more thought to the mod you mentioned? could you explain how to supply more voltage to the motors? how would you implement pwm in conjunction with the tx throttle mod?

1- Please excuse me if I get complicated with this:

From what I have measured so far, the when the motors are under load, they consume 0.75A each.

Using the formula “Power = Voltage x Current” between the voltages of 4.2V and 3.2V

We find that the motors dissipate 2.4 to 3.15Whatts of energy.

Assuming that we can push the maximum wattage of the motors up to ~4Whatts using the aluminium chassis as a heat sink. We should be able to push the average voltage up to ~5.3V

With 2 Li-Po cells the voltage will be upto 8.4V, so to get a average voltage of 5.3V the PWM on time percentage (Duty cycle) would have to be 63%

To put it simply: If you double the voltage, but half the time the motor is on for. It will run a the same speed, and the same temperature, but give you lots of potential to make it run faster.

2- More power could be supplied by removing both the drive motors positive power cables (red & White) from the control board, and connecting a second battery between them.

Connect the motor wires to the positive terminal of the second battery, and connect the negative terminal to the positive terminal of the first.

3- The helicopter uses PWM all of the time to control the speed of the motors. By controlling the percentage of time the motor receives a “on” pulse. The voltage always stays the same.

I.e. [On 100us: Off 0us] would be full throttle,

[On 75us: Off 25us] would be 3/4 throttle.

[On 50us: Off 50us] would be half throttle.

By using the throttle cap mod set to 50%, with a second battery, the helicopter would have almost exactly the same power as a stock helicopter. The fun starts once the throttle cap is turned up. It should allow more power to be delivered to the motors, but at the risk of the motors overheating, so you would have to try and find the sweet spot between thrust and heat (approximately 65% turn)

wannabe_pilot said

could you explain the advantage of inverting the pitch channel on the tx? does that allow you to spin the tail motor in different directions depending on the rotor you have on?

As you correctly said, it does allow you to spin the tail rotor in a different direction, this is useful for when the tail prop is replaced with a PicooZ blade, that is required to spin in the opposite direction to the stock tail rotor, for forward flight.

wannabe_pilot said

The direct battery mod, what does it mean to have "access to the battery without the diode"? would this allow you to plug an external battery into the charging port and fly the copter that way? or is it in addition to a main battery connected to the circuit board?

The diode is a “safety feature” that only allows energy to flow into the battery when the helicopter is switched off.

It would allow you to plug an external/removable battery into the charging port and fly the copter to increase flight times, any external devices that may need power, it also means that you can use a much more reliable battery charger to charge and maintain your helicopter, such as a balance charger.

However, once this mod is performed the helicopter shouldn't be charged with the USB charger or transmitter, as they will most likely over charge the battery.

If there is anything that I missed of didn't explain properly, just say and I will try and clear it up.

wannabe_pilot
Guests
June 17, 2012 - 8:04 am

hey raptor,

i am new to the syma s107 but as soon as i got my black edition, i stripped it down and did your gryo mod and i love it; i just need an extended main rotor to cut down on the blade strikes. next i want to do the IR to RF mod you posted.  i dl'd the pdf but it seemed incomplete. last i read, i think you were working on a s107 quadcopter, but do you plan on finishing the instructions?

also, after reading your comment on supplying more voltage to the main motors, i spent hours scouring threads trying to see if the main motors could be replaced with more powerful to generate more lift but couldn't find anything pertinent. what is the rpm of the main motors? are there viable alternatives? someone posted a link to this site http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/p.....s-91-c.asp but i dont know enough to make an informed decision. have you given more thought to the mod you mentioned? could you explain how to supply more voltage to the motors? how would you implement pwm in conjunction with the tx throttle mod?

lastly, i found the thread about unusual mods you posted, could you explain the advantage of inverting the pitch channel on the tx? does that allow you to spin the tail motor in different directions depending on the rotor you have on? and in relation to the direct battery mod, what does it mean to have "access to the battery without the diode"? would this allow you to plug an external battery into the charging port and fly the copter that way? or is it in addition to a main battery connected to the circuit board?

keep up the good work! these mods are awesome 🙂

thanks!

-a

Syma Freak
Admin
June 12, 2012 - 4:17 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Raptor said
Here is a guide i made to do the gyro mod, i hope its of some interest.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/.....450scebs9q

Fantastic guide you set up,I know the effort and time to create such help-Thank you Raptor, I know many are already very interested in your Random mods topic-Good on all the others posting on this topic..... SF

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Raptor
Guests
June 11, 2012 - 7:18 pm

Here is a guide i made to do the gyro mod, i hope its of some interest.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/.....450scebs9q

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5