Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Syma S111G flies backward
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 4:47 am

I don't think Syma's helis are such exact scale 'replicas' of the real thing, that it would hurt the integrity of the design to 'nip & tuck', and do a little 'hacking & wacking' when the need arises! Laugh I highly doubt that the 'Syma Authenticity Police' will come after anyone for a few modifications here and there!!! Ahhhhhahahahaha WoooooOOOO WooooooOOOOO "Pull it over buddy, and put those parts back on!" Yell Lol

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 3:25 am

Trust me, they don't help. Just pull them off. If it doesn't change anything, you can click them back on. They click, but be careful cause if you do it to hard it might break it off rather than click. Them off. The cobra has the same thing and it still flies the same.

CPD
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 1:46 am

On the real ones, they're the thing that changes the angle of the helicopter. They're less horizontal stabilizers as they are aelerons. On the real ones, they help angle the heli foreward to keep it moving fast the same way the tail rotor does on these. The thing is, it only works after the main controls move the rotors to make it start moving.

On these, they help a little wee bit with horizontal stability, but I would tend to think all they do is slow it down by reducing the ammount of air moving at the rear of the heli, and thus lowering the back and raising the front.

That said, I'd cut out the center parts with a hobby knife or a small saw, and file it out to be just enough to look like the real thing without making it too weak.

drewdane
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 6:43 pm

I'm not an aerodynamics engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I don't think those winglets would cause any more disruption than the fuselage, but it does seem to be a characteristic of the type. The fact that Syma slotted them indicates that they probably got some benefit out of it. If they didn't, I'm sure they wouldn't have molded that way. It's a more complex mold, and makes it look a little less like a real MH-68.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 6:19 pm

You can rip them off, I did on my cobra. Well,I actually didn't have a choice, one broke off so I pulled off the other. Now it flys forward very slowly without me making it. It makes it easier to land kinda. 🙂 you can try it, it won't hurt. And you should be able to snap them back on.

Do the landing gear wheels turn?

bvc
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 4:29 pm

Try this one last time with the photos somewhere else.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

bvc
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 4:01 pm

Old_Iron_Spine said:

I can't get either of the pictures. Have you tried hand launching it?

Hand launching is no different. You can see hand launch vids on youtube of the s111 with the same result.

Here's a vid I made of repeated lifts. There's a skip later that messes up the sound but…. The end result for this s111 is that the backward drift is not as bad with the s107 blades.

bvc
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 3:52 am

Yes. I'm no expert but I'm thinking the effect this wing has is greater when on the ground.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 3:45 am

I can't get either of the pictures. Have you tried hand launching it?

Guests
January 17, 2012 - 3:00 am

I can get to that pick BVC! Laugh

bvc
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 2:56 am

Me too. Lets see what this does.

http://8352764139709925246-a-1.....edirects=0

Guests
January 17, 2012 - 2:40 am

They stopped showing up for me too Drew! I think it's just a temporary glitch!Laugh

drewdane
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 2:12 am

The pics don't show up for me. O.o

bvc
Guests
January 17, 2012 - 1:06 am

Yes. Cross wing. See it circled in yellow in the first pic.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 5:33 pm

Rear cross wing? Like the tail rotor that makes it go forwards and backwards? That couldn't do anything, except making it fly forward and backward. However, I would like you to hand launch it (go half throttle and let it go and adjust when needed) and let us know if it still goes backwards, please. 🙂

bvc
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 5:44 am

Question. What's the chances the rear cross wing could be contributing? See pic

Image Enlarger

My daughter doesn't want me to alter it so I cannot tinker Frown

Here's one of the red 107 blades on the 111.

Image Enlarger

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 15, 2012 - 3:00 pm

I havent even flown an RC plane. I was actually looking at the acciptus Badius for a beginner. A guy at my Church started with one, he flys RC gliders, and he said its great to start with. It's upper winged, foam, and a glider. But I don't know what is good and what isn't. I assumed it's good, and he said it's good. And he said he could teach me to fly a rc Piper Cub, Does it depend on the direction you want to go in?

bvc
Guests
January 15, 2012 - 1:59 pm

bvc said:

drewdane said:

I have spent the day flying helis with a buddy, and his S111G has the same issue. It is solid as a rock at altitude, but on takeoff it pulls aft. I decided that the problem was ground effects. I tried a few takeoffs, and when I gave it full power rapidly, it usually popped right up without acting up… But I had to be careful not to pop it right into the ceiling. This thing climbs fast!

Even more so when you put 107g blades on it (top). They're about 3/16 longer. Doesn't sound like much but my daughter and I notice a difference. This also seems to reduce drift at take off. Haven't put them on the bottom yet. May interfere with rear rotor blade. Will probably try the bottom today. They're just not beat up like the top, but the extra air would be nice, especially if it improves take off. Will report back.

Ooops, I meant 5/16, not 3/16. After measuring it's actually 3/8, giving 3/4 more blade. I put the longer 107g main rotor blades on the bottom. They do not interfere with the rear but she still drifts back a little at take off.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 15, 2012 - 1:45 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Old_Iron_Spine said:

Sf, do you have any recommendations for a beginner airplane?

That depends if you want to buy a plane already to fly in foam,or say buy from Hobbyking and buy servos,motor,etc and remote and put together your self-

NineEagle planes are good to start with as 3 channel like the Skyrunner -comes complete with everything ready to fly.

Let me know how much you want to spend and if you have ever flown a plane-I will guide you.

pic my latest plane-Electric Shock

Image Enlarger

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

bvc
Guests
January 15, 2012 - 3:35 am

drewdane said:

I have spent the day flying helis with a buddy, and his S111G has the same issue. It is solid as a rock at altitude, but on takeoff it pulls aft. I decided that the problem was ground effects. I tried a few takeoffs, and when I gave it full power rapidly, it usually popped right up without acting up… But I had to be careful not to pop it right into the ceiling. This thing climbs fast!

Even more so when you put 107g blades on it (top). They're about 3/16 longer. Doesn't sound like much but my daughter and I notice a difference. This also seems to reduce drift at take off. Haven't put them on the bottom yet. May interfere with rear rotor blade. Will probably try the bottom today. They're just not beat up like the top, but the extra air would be nice, especially if it improves take off. Will report back.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5