Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
plastic tabs on top the inner main shaft
asrtaylor@shaw.ca
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 6:04 am

Supernova said:

mailto:asrtaylor@shaw.ca

Thanks everyone.

Thank you Supernova. I saw the title about a bent shaft so didn't watch the video as my shaft is not bent, but the video shows me exactly that I have this problem.

Thanks, time to order a few extra of these parts and find a screwdriver small enough.

Thanks again, most appreciated. 

In the mean time, outside to fly my S023G at -20C!

Supernova
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 5:56 am

mailto:asrtaylor@shaw.ca

Thanks everyone.

drewdane
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 5:52 am

CPD said:

I'm assuming you've never watched the Star Trex movies... (and no, I don't mean the prequle they just did)

Oh, I've seen the Star Trek movies, including Star Trek IV. My reference came from that movie as well.

asrtaylor@shaw.ca
Guests
January 16, 2012 - 5:45 am

Im ew and read through the posts here, and I beleive I have the same tab problem, but not sure so I would like to clarify.  The copter started to fly in small circles, not rotating, but seemed ff balance (yes it has crashed a few times Laugh ).

Now, unless it's under full power, the top blades 'flop' at an angle great enough to contact the lower blades or the gyro bar hence the copter crashes.

Does this sound familiar to what is described here?  Is the fix the top blade bracket?

Any assistance is appreciated as my 7 year old misses flying!

Thanks everyone.

Guests
January 13, 2012 - 6:29 am

Lol I was watching Star Trek when they were new episodes, just coming out! Lol Crap I'm old! Laugh

CPD
Guests
January 13, 2012 - 1:53 am

I'm assuming you've never watched the Star Trex movies... (and no, I don't mean the prequle they just did)

drewdane
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 8:02 pm

CPD said:

(then there's "transparent aluminum" which can hold back a tank large enough for a blue whale with only an inch of material...)

But that's only used on nuclear wessels.

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 7:49 am

Lol yeah, I haven't even broken anything yet, and I'm already redesigning the thing! Lolol Laugh

CPD
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 7:33 am

Here's the descrepincy--- there's more than one type of lexan. Some can be hard to break like that is, but a lot is very easilly broken, and they're calling a lot of stuff, like plasticware, lexan, when it is NOT lexan.

There's high-quality lexan that can bounce bullets, and there's the quality lexan Syma'd use that is little more than clear plastic.

(then there's "transparent aluminum" which can hold back a tank large enough for a blue whale with only an inch of material...)

They might have fixed this though, since the gears of the 107c look like metal, not plastic.

But, Supernova's right, though. Gears are easier to fix than motors and if you had unbreakable gears, you'd break the top part of the main shafts easier, and if those were unbrakable, you'd bend the main shaft or break a balance bar, and if those were unbreakable, you'd fry motors. And if you made everything unbreakable, it'd be too heavy, so you'd need larger blades, meaning stronger motors, stronger gears, stronger tops of the shafts, stronger shafts, then larger blades...

They have just the right balance of lightweight, yet bend-before-it-breaks and still being tough.

That said, they could use toothpick chunks as shearpins...

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 7:04 am

Lol I'm way ahead of you Nova!!! Lol then that will be the next weak link we'll have to tackle! Laugh

Supernova
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:44 am

Great idea!! I will have a word with SF next time we chat, and could be a move you never know, but the only thing is the extra strength will be transferred to the next weakest part somewhere else. 

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:36 am

Supernova said:

buck said:

Supernova said:

Buck do you mean polycarbonate that is awesome stuff, lexan is used in the model car bodys.

Hi Nova! I was talking about Lexan! Laugh My experience with Lexan has been that it some very tough stuff! Smile

Yes it is very tough and very good at taking a good hit, I have had model cars that have been hit hard the internals buggered up but the body sprang back ok.

I just thought that if they made some of the more critical parts out of Lexan, like blades & gears, etc., that it would be nice! Laugh

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:32 am

And I'm no Rocket Surgeon, Lol BUT the ONE THING I do know is... No Real Lexan is going to break from falling off of a table!!! Lol even if that table is 30,000 feet in the air!!! LaughLol unless they have significantly changed the formula for Lexan recently!!! Cool

Supernova
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:31 am

buck said:

Supernova said:

Buck do you mean polycarbonate that is awesome stuff, lexan is used in the model car bodys.

Hi Nova! I was talking about Lexan! Laugh My experience with Lexan has been that it some very tough stuff! Smile

Yes it is very tough and very good at taking a good hit, I have had model cars that have been hit hard the internals buggered up but the body sprang back ok.

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:26 am

Supernova said:

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 6:20 am

well they make lexan cutlery, (plastic silverware) this I do know! and I defy anyone to break a 1/4" piece of REAL Lexan, with their bare hands, hmmm OR a sledge hammer for that matter!!! Lol I've seen it done, but it took the guy about 45-60 minutes of bending it back & forth and back & forth, and it about wore him out, but he was challanged to do it, and he had a nice gash and was pretty bloody when he was done! Lol so I think your're talking about a totally different material than I am! Smile And the last I priced it, it was going for $8.00 per sq. ft. for 1/4"! Laugh

CPD
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 3:55 am

The windows in the huey I repainted (the one I have the tail of for my avitar) had all lexan bullet-resistant windows. The back side ones, away from the walking/joging path, were all busted out by vandals thinking that there was something valuable inside. The nose "bubble" window on the front left side was hacked through with an axe.

The windows are all 3/16 lexan, replaced sometime in the 90's probably, and in the shade, so not THAT much UV damage. It does not give at all, and while it may be strong enough for helis, it isn't indestructable.

Why they use it for racecar windshields is its much lighter and stronger than glass, but primarilly it does not shatter, it cracks 100% through in two directions, or not at all.

The little sign things that hold paper signs that are clear plastic are almost all lexan.

That said, laminated lexan is insanely strong, and does give because it is much thinner peices with resin that gives. That can withstand a heck of a lot more.

Then, there's the one remaining issue... lexan is VERY expensive. 1 square foot is about $30 depending on thickness. (had to price it out to repair the bubble window) It is also insanely hard to work with without exact and expensive equipment. It is just 20x cheaper and more efficient to use metal, and it is 2x as cost effective to use good plastic that can be molded into the right shape.

Supernova
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 3:53 am

Guests
January 12, 2012 - 12:40 am

I've never seen Lexan break before! Smile I'm NOT talking about plexi-glass, but Lexan brand by G.E.! it's pretty much bullet proof! as I understand it, a 1/4" of Lexan will stop a .22 bullet! but either way, in my expeience with Lexan, in stock car racing widnshield applications, it has NEVER proven to be brittle in any way! Laugh

CPD
Guests
January 12, 2012 - 12:21 am

Oh, it's FAR from indestructable. It's sooo hard that it does not give, and instead snaps. It is better to have the plastic they use, because it can give before it breaks.

You drop a lexan sign holder, like the ones they have on tables at resturants and the bigger versions, and it snaps a corner or two off, almost guarenteed.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5