Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Changed Battery and Have Flight Time Issue
New Battery did not change flight time
Tags: Syma X9
Syma Freak
Admin
November 11, 2014 - 4:46 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Great results guys and thank you both for your posts, it helps so many people much appreciated praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

symablue37
Guests
November 11, 2014 - 3:25 am

You're welcome JamDJ and all you other Admins and contributors.  Thanks again for the advice.

I have another small challenge I'm experiencing now with my S107 and I'll post with a new thread.

Happy flying all.  Greg

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
November 10, 2014 - 3:33 pm
Forum Posts: 264

Hi Symablue,

Yes, that's amazing and thank you for the positive feedback! Absolutely

a great reply !!!! 

Let's keep these success stories coming in! It's a reason to celebrate

with our fellow pilots. Problem stories are just as important as a reason to

learn from each other.

Keep posting, Greg!

symablue37
Guests
November 9, 2014 - 12:39 pm

Update:  Stardate 11/8.  I tried a second battery from the group I ordered, let it charge and cool and gave her a test flight and got the same results. Short flight with little power. 

So I ordered  new batteries (again) from a different source.  Seller showed credentials of being an authorized reseller and a licensed American supplier of original Syma replacement parts.  Bought a 2-pack of 240 mAh replacement batteries for about 10 bucks incl. shipping.  Optimistic this time I was... much to my surprise they were being shipped from Georgia and darned if they didn't show up in the mailbox on the 3rd day.  Grins.  That night, tonight, I soldered in the new battery and gave it a charge which took 55 minutes by USB.  That 55 minutes is a good sign as my other previously and recently purchased replacement batteries only took 35 minutes to charge, which proved to be bad batteries.  Gave it a 20 minute cooling off period and then cranked her up for the first battery test flight.

I'm very pleased to report I have all my flight time and power back, plus ++.  I didn't time it but it was obvious it was at least a 2 minute improvement over the stock 150 battery.  I love this 240 mAh battery!  It does have Syma labeling and it is sold as a Syma original part for an S107G battery upgrade.  Either way, this battery works great and I'm very pleased.  Interesting to note this battery is the same dimensions as the original 150mAh.  The defective batteries I bought that were 240mAh were larger in length and width but thinner.  I trust that with care these batteries will give good service and have a long lifespan.

Thanks for the feedback.

symablue37
Guests
November 4, 2014 - 2:11 am

Thanks JamDJ.

Yes I bought a 5-pack of batteries from China on Amazon.  I'll remove and try another.

My charge time my be shorter because I may have not run down the battery very far on previous flights but yes, it sure could be an old battery.  A date stamp would be nice.  I only have about 4 charges on this new battery.

I learned the 15 minute rule on this forum and will definitely abide by it now :-).

I'll try the flux and a different battery and if that produces the same results, I'll resort to a new battery source. Thanks again!

Greg

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
November 2, 2014 - 1:07 pm
Forum Posts: 264

Greg, I'm suspicious of several things......

First, you're heli is fine, we've heard this before as an all-to-common problem. Your own diagnosis

is pretty complete and yes, I agree the battery is the problem.

Second, the charge time on the new battery seems pretty short, should be about 45 minutes normal

and possibly an hour for the 240mh.

Third, as far as I know, SYMA doesn't offer a 240mh direct from the factory. If anyone else on the forum

reads this and I'm wrong, please let me know!

That said, you may have gotten a bad or "stale" battery. It happens... Where did you get it ?

Even a reliable source like Amazon can have a 3rd-party-supplier shipping batteries that are over a year

or two old and have "crystalised", in other words, they won't take a charge, thus the symptoms you describe.

A few things to check out and words to live by.....Follow the 15 minute rule!!

Flying immidiately after charging then recharging after the flight will kill the battery lifespan, thus you

only got about 6 months out of your first battery. Mine are just now wearing out after about 2 years.

Try replacing the replacement (no pun intended) and put a little soldiering flux on your fingertips and 

apply flux to the leads before soldiering. This will ensure the best possible contact.

Follow the 15 minute rule!

Good luck and happy flying!

symablue37
Guests
November 2, 2014 - 11:52 am

Hey guys.  My heli always flew great but after 6 months the battery seemed to understandably fail to support the copter for more than about 3 minutes.  It got to the point that after about 15 seconds the copter wouldn't sustain altitude, especially if I used forward or reverse.  I naturally suspected the battery.

I bought some new upgraded batteries from the factory supplied 150 mAh , and installed the new LiPo 240 mAh battery only to find out the flight time and performance did not change.

After about 15 to 20 seconds on a fresh charge that may take 25 to 30 minutes, I begin to lose altitude and the heli does not have the juice to rise or fly forward or backward.  If I set it down and rest for 10 seconds or so, the copter has power to rise to the ceiling but then quickly runs out of enough power to maintain altitude.  Bizarre, considering it's always flown nicely and now I'm running a new and upgraded battery.

The blades look good and straight and no mods have been made.  It seems the obvious answer is to drop some weight but the machine is a factory set up.  I'm perplexed.  If it flew like this out of the box, this helicopter would not be as popular as it is.  Could it be I need some lubrication?  It does not sound noisy at all and does not have much flight time.  Any advice?  Thanks all.

Greg

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5