Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Battery does not charge
fb39ca4
Guests
May 8, 2012 - 11:38 am

World Tech Toys sent me a new S107 (red this time :D), and let me keep the old one. I will just do the replaceable battery mod with the blue (old) one so now I have two of them!

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
May 2, 2012 - 6:10 am
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I don't understand it either, as I said, my S111 does fine w/ charging f/ the Iphone.

Whatever the case, I'll get another battery and use the USB to 'puter to be sure.

I can't help the fact that the battery came with another S107 attached to it!!! 

fb39ca4
Guests
April 28, 2012 - 10:24 am

It should not be a problem, the charging process only pulls 200-300ma. As long as the charger is rated for above that, you are fine, because the charger uses only as much current as it needs, not what is supplied.

Supernova
Guests
April 28, 2012 - 4:10 am

Hmm 5 volts is right, but 500 milliamps about? I would check if I where you as for mains that is a different ball game.

Why not just use the usb.

fb39ca4
Guests
April 28, 2012 - 2:45 am

Why would the iPhone charger kill the battery? It just provides 5 volts like any other USB port.

Syma Freak
Admin
April 27, 2012 - 6:48 pm
Forum Posts: 1452

CPD said
No prob. Not sure why your s111 has normal flight then... Do you charge it the same way and fly it as much?

I pretty sure Bearnie put up a video at some point on how to solder the tiny wires, and  you should be able to follow that pretty easilly.

Here is Bernie's video on small wire soldering-click anymore help let us know-if you read most of CPD and Supernova posts you will get great help these guys are machines--

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CPD
Guests
April 27, 2012 - 1:14 am

No prob. Not sure why your s111 has normal flight then... Do you charge it the same way and fly it as much?

I pretty sure Bearnie put up a video at some point on how to solder the tiny wires, and  you should be able to follow that pretty easilly.

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
April 26, 2012 - 2:07 pm

Thanks, CPD. I've only had mine for a month now, but seems the battery life is

now down to 3 1/2 minutes quality flight time, possibly my fault for using my I-phone

charger. Live and learn.......  Funny though, my S111 never had that problem.

I'm trying to recharge the 107 using a REAL USB connect, hopefully salvaging the

battery back to a good 5 minutes of flight. If not, know anyone who's good at micro-

soldiering? Thanks, JamDJ

"My other vehicle is an S107"

CPD
Guests
April 24, 2012 - 11:20 pm

Well, I don't know if it's 100% correct, but I run mine down to where the led shuts off, then turn it off and back on, then run it down to zero again, and so-on until the battery is as dead as I can get it before charging.

Just remember the 10-15 minute rule!

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
April 24, 2012 - 4:16 pm

OK, Here's one from another newbie..... Should I run the heli completely down to the point where the blades won't

spin (but the headlights still flash) before recharging ? Old-school NiCAD and NiMH batteries would build up a time

"memory" but not sure about the LiPo's.

Also, does anyone here use their I-phone charger USB adapter instead of hooking up to the 'puter?

Thanks, Team S107!

JamDJ

CPD
Guests
April 19, 2012 - 11:58 pm

Yeah, I knew there wasn't supposed to be any harm there, just when you read stuff in caps, or even sometimes without caps, it doesn't come out the right way. bold and underline work good, but sometimes cpas just start making things you say not be what you say. Been there a few times too many...

Now, go into the Wii call of duty forums, mistype "cod points" in stead of exp. points, and you'll get thrown under the bus by tons and tons of 10 year olds and never be able to get the rest of the topic through the flame. Friend of mine did that, and he got sooo much hate and was about ran out of town over it, even though he said "this is on topic, I meant xp, I just type the wrong thing out of habbit" about 10 times to 30 kids that think they run the place that were saying it was OT because of it.

Syma Freak
Admin
April 19, 2012 - 11:37 am
Forum Posts: 1452

Carl in WY said
ooops, sorry, no confrontation here. 🙂

since my experience is only syma, that was what i was referring to.

again, sorry.

We understand Carl no worries all ok-We have had in the past people posting in all caps,CPD was just giving you a posting guide no harm meant at all-keep posting your experiences always helpful

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Carl in WY
Guests
April 19, 2012 - 10:24 am

ooops, sorry, no confrontation here. 🙂

since my experience is only syma, that was what i was referring to.

again, sorry.

CPD
Guests
April 19, 2012 - 9:17 am

Well, I have the exact same heli, and I've not had a problem with it. Carl was saying that the led should go off when charged, that's just not the case. My WTT red has the barrel plug, and it turns red when charged, just like the regular brand syma. WTT doesn't make many duds, and they actually hold (or at least held) the record for the smallest production rc heli.

My guess: you forgot to shut off the heli. If not, then there's a break in a connection somewhere.

The other thing is you have to push in the barrel plug all of the way, not just a little bit, but there is still a good bit that sticks out of the heli. You might not have it in just right.

As for returning, the store I know of that sold the wtt 107's was Aldi's, but only until about the week after Christmas, then the store's supplies ran out. If the heli was bought then, you can't return it. I would also think that they put a "sleep charge" on it before shipping it out, and that's why it was charged for just a few minutes. I don't remember with my wtt whether or not it was charged, but that shouldn't really matter.

As far as Carl's suggestion of buying a wall charger, I'll have to say that in my opinion, it's a plausable choice, but I don't believe that they are a good idea. 1st of all, they aren't official Syma, I think, and as such not ideally made for the helis, 2nd because I believe in as long of a charge as possable for better battery life. I would rather have a 1 hr charger then have to replace batteries because they die on fast charges.

(as a note to carl, I'd watch the caps use--if you read it a tiny bit wrong, it sounds like you're being confrontational and overall not playing nice. I know you're not but it doesn't look like you're not)

Carl in WY
Guests
April 19, 2012 - 6:02 am

If you have a NON-SYMA brand, there is really no way of telling what is going on.

A Syma usb charger should first be plugged into the computer, then a RED light

comes on solid. Plugging the other end into the Syma S107 charging port starts

the charging process, and the red light should GO OFF. Carefully align the pins

and guide rails when inserting the plug into the heli charging port.  45-55 minutes later,

the usb light will begin to flicker RED, then turn on SOLID RED when fully charged.

Genuine Syma charging ports have 2 pins.  The charging port is a rectangle with

guide rails on the inside sides of the rectangle. If you have something else, then,

sadly, you may have purchased a dud...

Based on YOUR description, it sounds like (a) the charging process never started, since the

red light did not go OFF; or (b) the "barrel" and pins do not align and therefore the

connection was never made in the first place.   If you can return it for a refund, do so.

I would highly recommend Genuine SYMA: rc-fever; Amazon; xheli. A wall charger made for

SYMA will cut the charge time to about 35 minutes.  Good luck!  Smile

fb39ca4
Guests
April 19, 2012 - 5:39 am

No, it came precharged. It took off normally, and flew for about 5 minutes before lacking the power to keep itself from descending.

Supernova
Guests
April 18, 2012 - 11:14 pm

You could have killed the battery as they are not charged when you get them and could be drained down to nothing.

Over charging is as bad as under charging.

fb39ca4
Guests
April 18, 2012 - 1:11 pm

I just got my S107 as a birthday present, and it flys great! The battery was already charged, so I flew it. Now, when I plug it in to charge, it does not! I have the switch on the heli turned off like it says in the manual, and am using the USB charge cable with a USB charger confirmed to supply power. The red light shows on the cable, no lights show on the heli, and I left it there for 30 ish minutes and in that time it has not charged. What am I doing wrong?

If it matters, the heli I have is the World Tech Toys rebrand, which appears to have the characteristics of a genuine Syma. Another thing. The charger has a barrel plug, but the manual shows a 2 pin plug. Is this a problem?

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2