Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Syma X1 UFO 4CH RC Quadcopter RTF-New
Just released,review on the way
Syma Freak
Admin
August 31, 2013 - 11:54 am
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Good post-interesting"Can the X1 main frame be purchased, at some cost savings, without getting another transmitter? Just a thought."

will check on that...

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

KurtPo
Guests
August 25, 2013 - 4:58 am

KurtPo said

Syma Freak said
The X1 normally only needs a bit of trim to hover ok, sounds to me something wrong with it,have you had a bad crash? are all motors spinning at the same time.If this did this out of the box it might pay to approach Amazon to get another,pain but might be the best way to go,unusual to get problems with them.Just a thought are all the props correctly fitted as in clockwise and anti clock wise,usually tho if they were wrong doubt would take off.When adjusting the trim on remote is there any difference in flight at all? Reason it might be a faulty remote-keep us posted

Many thanks for the suggestions. My X1 did indeed immediately veer off to the side when new, right out of the box. Lots of modest "crashes" without any damage what so ever, though. Nice!  With several attempts to using different recommended techniques in binding-syncing with the transmitter, the same result was obtained. I like the X1 enough to have actually ordered a second one from Amazon! If the second one works OK then I will request an exchange for the first one. If all works out, I will have lots of spare parts!  I will try and work more on the trimming process to get the first machine to hover better. Yes, a first time RC "Pilot", but what a great learning experience regardless. Many thanks!

A question though: Can the X1 main frame be purchased, at some cost savings, without getting another transmitter? Just a thought.

Update on my perception of my "hover" issue: I have indeed purchased a second Syma X1 UFO from Amazon. The second one seems to be somewhat better, but not drastically so, in hovering after binding-syncing. Both machines do work as they should - it's the pilot that is the problem! :-) Get the X1 3 feet off of the ground before attempting trims, to eliminate ground effect. I have learned that none of these inexpensive, but very well made and engineered, Quads are rock steady in hovering. GPS and other techniques are required, at a significantly higher price, to achieve rock solid hovering. As suggested, a small weight attached to one of the arms may help minimize the veering off to the side to achieve better hovering, but I feel that good pilot training and trimming on my part is the proper solution. We seniors just are not as agile on the controls as we may have been when younger! I have yet to have my son-in-law and grandkids work the Quad, and I bet I will be amazed at how well they can fly them. They have other Syma heli products that they fly great. Many thanks to all for the encouragement and support!

Supernova
Guests
August 23, 2013 - 3:18 am

No Idea if you can buy the main frame on its own, but there may be another option to correct the flight problem, try adding a bit of Blu Tack to the side that may need weighing down, sometimes it works but it is trial and error to get the balance correct, I love messing with these things.

It is worth a go but may kill flying time a bit but who cares.

yoda22

KurtPo
Guests
August 20, 2013 - 1:11 am

Syma Freak said
The X1 normally only needs a bit of trim to hover ok, sounds to me something wrong with it,have you had a bad crash? are all motors spinning at the same time.If this did this out of the box it might pay to approach Amazon to get another,pain but might be the best way to go,unusual to get problems with them.Just a thought are all the props correctly fitted as in clockwise and anti clock wise,usually tho if they were wrong doubt would take off.When adjusting the trim on remote is there any difference in flight at all? Reason it might be a faulty remote-keep us posted

Many thanks for the suggestions. My X1 did indeed immediately veer off to the side when new, right out of the box. Lots of modest "crashes" without any damage what so ever, though. Nice!  With several attempts to using different recommended techniques in binding-syncing with the transmitter, the same result was obtained. I like the X1 enough to have actually ordered a second one from Amazon! If the second one works OK then I will request an exchange for the first one. If all works out, I will have lots of spare parts!  I will try and work more on the trimming process to get the first machine to hover better. Yes, a first time RC "Pilot", but what a great learning experience regardless. Many thanks!

A question though: Can the X1 main frame be purchased, at some cost savings, without getting another transmitter? Just a thought.

Supernova
Guests
August 20, 2013 - 12:12 am

Good point about the props ssig_imnewhereembarassed

Syma Freak
Admin
August 19, 2013 - 10:14 pm

Supernova
Guests
August 17, 2013 - 6:53 pm

Hi Kurt and crigon_04england-1626 Have you tried the trim settings on the Tx that might help, if not then I think a replacement may be in order.

Hope this helps.

KurtPo
Guests
August 17, 2013 - 1:07 am

D Lobo said
I took the wife and girls 6 & 8 to the AMA convention today and my youngest just had to have the X1 BumbleBee or she now calls it Beezy.

I had the same problems with start-up as described above. Take off and instant FF all the way the fence. No left, no back, no right, no drift. Just forward, quite quickly.

I did that about 6 times, that's how it got it's name.

Every time I would emergency stop at the fence line (about 80 feet away) and my girl would run after it, pick it up and say: Are you ok Beezy?

I assumed it was a binding issue and lucky for me the review posted here was the first link I clicked on.

In detail this is what worked for me.

Batteries fully charged in the transmitter.

Battery fully charged for the X1.

Slide the battery into the carriage of the X1 just to the point of contact so all it takes is a swift shove to make the final connection.

Get everything close together on a level surface.

Switch on the TX and as fast I can shove the battery all the way into the X1.

Quickly flip the X1 upright on a level surface and don't touch it.

Quickly push the throttle (Left Stick) all the way and back down again.

Don't touch the X1 yet.

Wait for the lights on the X1 to stop blinking.

Breath deep.

Slowly push the throttle up and i'll be damned if the little thing just rise right up, straight as an arrow.

Controls seemed normal after that and the kids love it.

For $35.00 I think it was a fantastic purchase.

I went along with it because I trust Syma after an old friend sent me a S107 for Christmas.

I had also purchased a S033G for my son and it was also very well put together and flew right out of the box.

I couldn't believe how stable that thing was and how much of a pounding it can take.

This is exactly my experience as well, but I have yet to try the solution suggested as too many other "retirement tasks" seem to get in the way!

Many thanks to everyone making great suggestions on this forum. I'm absolutely enjoying my new introduction to RC flying with my Syma X1. I have played with some other older inexpensive (Cheap?! :-) ) helicopters with crashing success! I really do like the Quads. Thanks All!

Edit addition:

Try as I might, using the above technique, I cannot get the X1 to hover with no input other than lifting off of a perfectly bubble leveled launch pad. It just wants to easily veer off to the side while I anxiously try to stop it with the right control stick. At best, I can get it to fly, the controls seemingly working properly, but requiring constant corrections on my part. Should I ask Amazon to exchange it? Am I really doing something wrong? I haven't tried mode 2 or the "H" mode. Should I? Would it make a difference. All suggestions are most welcome! Thanks everyone. 

lew803
Guests
January 28, 2013 - 7:10 am

Hi SF,

I finally found out what a lot of people know.To bind a tx to a quad of the same manufacturer and model(this is as far as I've gotten so far)you plug in the battery set it down Quickly and turn on the transmitter.This has worked on my Syma X1 with two tx's since I now have an extra.Only thing is ,you must rebind before you can fly using the original tx on the original quad.Does that sentence make sense?Anyhow,it works every time so maybe I didn't need to buy another quad.Your help set me on the right path.Thanks!sco_hmmthink

lew803
Guests
January 27, 2013 - 2:51 am

Thanks,SF for the advice.Tried the suggestions.No joy.Looked for anything loose.Nothing.I'm wondering if a cover on the underside of the board could hold in too much heat in a prolonged flight.The temp was colder than usual and never had a problem before.Went ahead and ordered a new X1.As you said parts can add up.

Do you think the larger battery(600mAh)could produce enough heat on the board to affect a component.The sequence when binding was standard but at the end of the sequence the board went to no connection right away.Tried another tx ,same result.

Still going to fly all winter come snow(have lots now) or???.Really like your the plane on the video.Looks like it could glide. 

Supernova
Guests
January 27, 2013 - 2:48 am

Hay!!  SF you are a special Heli nerd,  perhaps I need to brush up on my stuff sco_huhsign missing this,  SORRY.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 25, 2013 - 2:00 pm

lew803 said
I've run into a new problem, for me.I was flying and changed batteries and the second flight suddenly quit in mid air.When I went to rebind after recovery the receiver went through all of the proper sequence until the end of the binding process.At that point it continued to flash after showing it should be bound.Good battery,proper sequence,nothing worked.My question is:If I have to replace the board will it bind to the present tx.I tried it with the receiver for another quad of the same kind and it won't bind to it.It seems that they will only bind to the tx that came with the quad.All suggestions welcomed.sco_huhsign 

Did it get damaged when she fell out of the air on flight? It is unusual for a board to just not function- guess you have checked for solder joints broken..The board is not cheap around $16 - Here on RCFever board 

To purchase a new Quad is around $38 , not trying to put you off repairing your quad,but just watch what you spend on parts.Have you tried taking batteries out of remote, then replace them and like a computer reboot transmitter.If you buy a new board it should bind with old transmitter.Try binding using a few different things with remote,like having throttle on full then switch on transmitter then quad--just some times with other mini quads I have has worked binding messing with the remote--let us know how you go

lew803
Guests
January 25, 2013 - 10:09 am

I've run into a new problem, for me.I was flying and changed batteries and the second flight suddenly quit in mid air.When I went to rebind after recovery the receiver went through all of the proper sequence until the end of the binding process.At that point it continued to flash after showing it should be bound.Good battery,proper sequence,nothing worked.My question is:If I have to replace the board will it bind to the present tx.I tried it with the receiver for another quad of the same kind and it won't bind to it.It seems that they will only bind to the tx that came with the quad.All suggestions welcomed.sco_huhsign 

CPD
Guests
January 18, 2013 - 4:43 am

There's s119g's on amazon now, but go figure, they're EXPENSIVE. Well, checking again, they only have 8 of the orange ones, and they're still relatively expensive. They were a whoping $40 last I checked for the green ones, which is well out of my budget. If they produce more and they become popular enough that they come out with parts on ebay, I might have to look into the size of the shell and consider a s889g built from a s119g body with s800g innerds. Wait... the 800g is lighter than the 107 when you strip it down...

Who was it that did testing for how much an s107 could lift? Could you test the lifting weight of a s800g? Thanks. I might be onto something.

oden
Guests
January 18, 2013 - 12:07 am

CPD said
Wow, I guess that makes the Syma the new cheapest quad on the market. The quastion is, how large is it really in practicality, and is it outdoors worthy. We'll have to wait for the review.

I'm suprised how they shoved that out the door so fast, yet it's been a year since the "release" of the s119g Huey, and I still have yet to see any for sale anywhere.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens with it, see if it's good or if it's annother case of getting what you paid for and a rush job in development. Wouldn't be the first thing Syma screwed up. Let's hope it's like annother s107g, and not annother 029g...

Hey CPD

if you were looking for the 119g http://www.symahelicopters.com has them on there site. think there out of stock but they will email u as soon as they get more.

pixxelpusher
Guests
January 17, 2013 - 8:35 pm

Thanks SF!!  I was looking all over the net for that bit of info!! Most people concluded that it didn't actually support both modes. I probably like most didn't realise you had to do it with the transmitter OFF first, I was pushing that little button in all directions to get it to work. I'll have to give it a go sometime and see which mode I prefer. Would be great to get some of these tips into a FAQ.

Have had a few flights now and still trying to get the hang of flying it. A few questions, is it normal for the quad to be erratic in the air? Sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own and I have to be quite heavy on the controls. This is especially the case with the throttle as it seems to change altitude quite suddenly, sometimes even dropping right to ground level (even hitting the ground). I kind of thought it would hover more in one spot a bit easier, but mine seems to be rather all over the place at times.

to select mode 2:
1.)Turn Off Transmitter
2.)HOLD Button A to the Right while the transmitter is Off
3.)While holding Button A, Turn Transmitter On (you will see in the LCD the mode has now changed from mode 1 to mode 2) then Release Button A

to go back to mode 1 again:
just do the steps again

Syma Freak
Admin
January 13, 2013 - 5:10 pm

to select mode 2:
1.)Turn Off Transmitter
2.)HOLD Button A to the Right while the transmitter is Off
3.)While holding Button A, Turn Transmitter On (you will see in the LCD the mode has now changed from mode 1 to mode 2) then Release Button A

to go back to mode 1 again:
just do the steps again

mode2-x1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Syma Freak
Admin
January 13, 2013 - 4:57 pm

Hi DLobo- you are correct they are a lot of fun for the price-really it still amazes me how they can be built and sell for such a cheap price-now a old dude,but back in the 60's there was no way I could afford to get into the rc hobby-remember a remote was around $1800..now this hobby is cost wise doable for most.

You seem to have got the hang of "Beezy" down pat--I like the name ssig_cool2

D Lobo
Guests
January 13, 2013 - 1:29 pm

I took the wife and girls 6 & 8 to the AMA convention today and my youngest just had to have the X1 BumbleBee or she now calls it Beezy.

I had the same problems with start-up as described above. Take off and instant FF all the way the fence. No left, no back, no right, no drift. Just forward, quite quickly.

I did that about 6 times, that's how it got it's name.

Every time I would emergency stop at the fence line (about 80 feet away) and my girl would run after it, pick it up and say: Are you ok Beezy?

I assumed it was a binding issue and lucky for me the review posted here was the first link I clicked on.

In detail this is what worked for me.

Batteries fully charged in the transmitter.

Battery fully charged for the X1.

Slide the battery into the carriage of the X1 just to the point of contact so all it takes is a swift shove to make the final connection.

Get everything close together on a level surface.

Switch on the TX and as fast I can shove the battery all the way into the X1.

Quickly flip the X1 upright on a level surface and don't touch it.

Quickly push the throttle (Left Stick) all the way and back down again.

Don't touch the X1 yet.

Wait for the lights on the X1 to stop blinking.

Breath deep.

Slowly push the throttle up and i'll be damned if the little thing just rise right up, straight as an arrow.

Controls seemed normal after that and the kids love it.

For $35.00 I think it was a fantastic purchase.

I went along with it because I trust Syma after an old friend sent me a S107 for Christmas.

I had also purchased a S033G for my son and it was also very well put together and flew right out of the box.

I couldn't believe how stable that thing was and how much of a pounding it can take.

pixxelpusher
Guests
December 15, 2012 - 1:11 am

SF yes it's good to cover all bases. All batteries were well charged (using eneloops in the remote), and followed your steps of remote on first then X1 battery and quick flip over to a level surface.

As in the chat I think it came down to lots of wireless devices in the room I was in. This included dual band wifi, digital tv, cordless phone (but 5.8ghz), mobile phones... I ended up turning off the wifi and moving to another part of the house up stairs. It then binded!! So for other's that's definitely something to test if you're having binding probs.

Putting the remote right next to the X1 sounds like a good tip, will keep it in mind.

Something that did happen though is the first time the X1 must have been on a slight lean when starting up, so the gyro's were set wrong and it kept flying backwards pulling to the right! I figured turing it all off and starting again might fix it, and it did, so have to make sure it definitely is on a flat surface when the X1 starts up.

The remote is on low speed for now and i've trimmed the throttle right down until I get used to it.

The question I have is can the remote be used in Mode 2? mine is in Mode 1 at the moment.

I bought from hobbywarehouse, got a great deal on their ebay page and the service was awesome, shipped express courier through aus air express and came the next day!

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5