Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Syma 107C Camera Discussion
Catch-all for discussion on the 107C camera and micro-sd card
Widdog
Guests
September 1, 2012 - 10:38 am

Image Enlarger

UDI U13A. Has 2.4 GHZ transmitter. 3 ch Heli with video camera. I’m thinking the extra range of the 2.4 TX has got me interested in this Heli. Has a ten inch diameter main rotor. Maybe a tad too small for outside but maybe ok on calm day.  

CPD
Guests
August 24, 2012 - 1:44 pm

Do I need to break out FPS Russia "flying" a "millitary quadrocopter with a machine gun" using "a special tablet" again? (when it was pretty obvious that it was just a quadrocopter with a camera on it, a fake machine gun and CGI explosion when it "self destructed")

That would be cool... I think Raptor was trying something with that or saying something about doing it. Would be cool, especially with the iCopter ones and an ipad or kindle.

CKourouklis
Guests
August 24, 2012 - 9:34 am

Well, here's what I can respond with off the top of my head:

Far as weight and complexity go, sure, the 107C is of necessity heavier and more complex; I'm finding this seems to manifest itself more in terms of flight duration than performance - but then again, my reference is not an authentic Syma 107g, but a fake close enough for almost 100% parts interchange.  The material added to the copter itself is essentially those 25mm or so of wiring harness and plug, plus whatever accommodations are made in the circuit board.  The extent of the camera's remote control is a shutter switch on the left and on-off for video on the right, and the rotors have to be spinning for either of these to work; I think you can corrupt a video by failing to shut the camera off before you power off the copter.

Far as video from a 512k card, think I've heard around five minutes bandied about.  The problem in my case (and seamusagleann's too if I read right) wasn't so much the card's capacity as its integrity; it simply stopped working after a few minutes' use. Tried clearing it of the data and even so, the camera just blinked red as if it were missing the card entirely. Both the 2G card I tried and the 8G card I bought for it have been fine since.

The flashing light isn't such a factor in my videos because the lens housing can pivot down - gotta try pointing it straight ahead and see if it catches the flash.  Getting steady video out of it can be tricky, as we saw in that video you posted - it'll occasionally cut out briefly and snap back on, losing small sections of footage.

Fully in agreement re cameras on bigger copters; outdoor footage from a decent height would be impressive.  What would be better still - and I wonder if we aren't too far from this - is a live cam from the cockpit perspective...

CPD
Guests
August 24, 2012 - 4:57 am

Hmmm... the interesting thing there is that they actually took the time to make the camera remote controlled like they did... I'm sure that's got to add weight and some complexity to the thing...

Can I ask just how much video those things get from one card? My regular video camera gets about an hour off of a 4 gig card, but from the sounds of it, if you really need two 8-gig cards, there's something screwey, especially with the kind of quality you get with micro cameras... A 512 mb card's kinda stupid, I'll admit, (I didn't think they even made 512 cards anymore) but when you can just download the video to your computer while you charge from it, that's probably reasonable.

One thing I noticed from the video I watched (below) is that the flashing red/blue light is in the way of the camera, and really needs moved out of the bottom of the nose. Kinda ruins the video. 

Now that all said, I wouldn't mind if they had a s301C... that would be nice to have an outdoor heli with a camera...

And as allways, SF, thanks for the kind words--just tryin my best around here. Unfortunatly, it seems there's not as much for me to help with, most of everything's passing me by--all going to s800, s107C, quadrotors and electronics... not much meat left on the bone... :(

Syma Freak
Admin
August 18, 2012 - 5:40 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Syma has changed their remote much smaller for some new helis - A pain but doable..have you viewed some of Raptors unique tech info?

http://syma107.com/forum/gener.....ndom-mods/ Also feel free to contact him as a Admin guy and really a great person to chat with..

Sorry to push help but guys like CPD.Supernova are the magic to this forum, you are there to! Raptor is always trying to create the perfect remote for all Syma helis..One thing I find interesting is Syma the company is slow to get back to me,but pretty sure they watch this forum and pick up info for future Syma helis, maybe I dream -lol.. However in a few days you will see your posts on Google,pretty cool I feel that Google ranks this forum with some respect...thanks to intelligent posts from people like yourself -SF

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CKourouklis
Guests
August 18, 2012 - 4:56 pm

Thank you, Sir!

Having reviewed the 800g thread, there's one other item I can add, perhaps to your disappointment: the 107C shares its remote with the 800, albeit not allowing for any lateral movement on the throttle stick.

Having bent these big mitts of mine to fine detail work for my main hobby, plastic modeling, I find the trade fairly even - you lose the nice meaty gripping surface of the 107/107g remote, but you do gain the wider, more generous tips of the control sticks.  I may also have the advantage of relatively short exposure to the first remote before stepping up to the second.

CKourouklis
Guests
August 18, 2012 - 3:35 am

Sweet!  I had the benefit of no return spring on my clone's lift control, and I immediately saw why some people like that better.  With a static throttle, I got to concentrate a little more on the directional stick.

seamusagleann
Guests
August 17, 2012 - 11:48 pm

YUUUP!!!! just about sums it up . i bought one from lightake about 2 months ago ,same sort of teething probs ,but now ok .it was a bit stiff setting it up and gingerly had to build it and suffered the same probs with the micro sd card ,so i checked it in a laptop and got nowhere, must be frazzled as it wouldn't even format, but two new 8 gig ones from Amazon and i was taking pics once more.

I had to get used to the "no return" lift control ,but soon had it mastered ,so good in fact it's now my main controller for my apache and my black hawk . on the subject of "creep" as mine does ,paperclips on the back vane till it stops then weigh them on micro scales then substitute them for something more aesthetic!! 

Syma Freak
Admin
August 17, 2012 - 11:03 am

CKourouklis said
Oh, absolutely!  Mi photo, su photo. Cool

Only caveat I'd offer is to see how consistent your experience is with mine - not that I really think you need the reminder.

Great.I will let you know when review finished...be interesting to compare notes.

CKourouklis
Guests
August 17, 2012 - 10:55 am

Oh, absolutely!  Mi photo, su photo. Cool

Only caveat I'd offer is to see how consistent your experience is with mine - not that I really think you need the reminder.

Syma Freak
Admin
August 17, 2012 - 10:46 am

Excellent help and advice on the 107C. The photo was good as well. Lightake is sending me one to review so hope to get it in the next 2 weeks.Is ok if I used your photo for review and to mention your camera advice? I see Amazon seems to be selling a few now and there are a few customer reviews worth looking at (Amazon Reviews- scroll down to reviews)

Talk soon SF Smile

CKourouklis
Guests
August 17, 2012 - 7:27 am

Well very cool then - glad I could contribute something new, and thanks for the welcome!

Based on what I've skimmed here and in other on-line reviews, I'll point out that while it works plenty well for a noob like me, there does seem to be a bit of forward weight bias and creep on the C, so those who want an absolutely static hover might pop the canopy and see about skootching the power cell back some.  Of course, I imagine that assembly tolerance stacks give each bird its own performance characteristics, so maybe other 107Cs are more neutral.

My copter came with the camera plug clipped in a little boss just under the chassis, with only about 5mm of cord showing.  I assumed that this was all the copter had at first, and I had a devil of a time plugging into the camera this way.  Turns out there was actually about 25mm of cord tucked under the canopy, which made things much easier - although I still found a pair of tweezers helpful getting the plug into the camera. IIrc, the plug has a solid end with a faint rib going down the center and an open end with leads showing on the opposite side ; the solid end should face toward the front as you put it in.  This pic's a bit out of focus (best I can do w/crackberry), but it still might clarify that some:

The other thing you'll see is that clipping in the camera butts the camera plug wires right against the chassis plate, which is one of the reasons I was a little reluctant to yank the camera in and out too many times.  You don't have to route the plug wires over the skid like that, by the way - it just seemed to make sense to me.

Because of the tightness of that plug against the bottom of the aircraft, you might expect the camera to be a bit stiff to snap in place.  I found that guiding the camera in by the front tab first, then working the rear tab up, seems to be the best method.

Syma Freak
Admin
August 16, 2012 - 11:53 am

Welcome CKourouklis to the forum.Interesting post on the Syma 107C. I have yet to do a review on that heli so was interested in your experience with it and the camera.Hope to get a review up soon,waiting for one to arrive.Any more information feel free to post SF

CKourouklis
Guests
August 16, 2012 - 6:08 am

Hello, All.  Just joined and did a reasonably comprehensive search, couldn't find a thread already established on this - if there is one and a mod wanted to redirect me and junk this topic, that'd be fine.

I'ma start off a little more bone-headed than some of you guys busting out the soldering irons and hot-rodding your birds.  My prospective stepdaughters, one in particular, have found these copters pretty addictive and by association, so have I.  Ordered three for us to play with on vacation, and I took the one without Syma logos on the box (from Amazon too, oops).  Mine, presumably a clone, was a little noisier and coarser - comparatively sluggish on fore-aft, but surprisingly, a little crisper on right-left than the authentic Symas.

All of which is the set-up leading me to try out a 107C, and the reason I started this thread.  All-'round, it's considerably more refined than my yellow clone.  As you likely know, the remote's set up a bit differently, and even as a novice, I appreciate the absence of a spring on the throttle and the vernier trim relocated to a fingertip dial on the side, just right of the directional collective.

Its flight is pretty smooth and idiot-proof (as intensely idiotic as I get, I can attest), and in its initial 15 or so flights, there hasn't been any problem there.  No matter how you switch up the channels, the copter has been quick to recognize the remote from the git, and the camera appears not to have a huge effect on its response and performance.

The camera itself was a bit slower and fussier at first; took some time for it to recognize the video trigger on the right and the still on the left.  Then it got to a point where the red indicator pin-light on the bottom started flashing and the camera refused to shoot at all - usually, it's on continuously as the video rolls, and off when you're not shooting.

Was the card full? Possibly. I tried archiving the videos and deleting them from the card, and sure enough, the card looks empty when you open it on a computer.  But the camera light still flashed when I put it back in.

Because the camera was a little tricky to plug in and seat under the landing gear, I tried exhausting the battery to see if a power-off reset would do the trick.  No dice on that, so I carefully unseated the camera and tried unplugging and re-plugging it back to the copter.  Still had the indicator flash.

Then on a whim, I swapped in the micro SD card from my phone, and lo and behold, we were making movies.  I've since popped in a new 8GB micro SD, and so far, so good.

A flying camera for under fifty bucks mandates cost considerations, and I'm guessing the budgie was trimmed a little at the supplier of the 512MB cards.  After shooting about twelve short segments, the li'l C apparently decided it didn't like its original chip, and it seems quite content with replacements - though I think I may re-check the factory SD on another computer to make sure it's not somehow still clogged with data.

If it's a defective SD card, I'm not saying yours will necessarily have a problem.  But if you start seeing that flashing indicator, you might want to start by ejecting and re-seating your SD chip, and then experiment with other micro SD cards if the reinstallation of your factory 512 doesn't work.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5