Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Intermittent S107G motors
S107G main rotor motors stop intermittently. Author suspects malfunction of the blade protection feature.
Tags: Syma X9
CPD
Guests
December 24, 2014 - 4:24 pm

How recent are these complaints of other helis with this problem? If they're too recent and too close together, then Syma may have had a bad batch. Comes every now and then--they'll occasionally have a batch of helis that come from the 6-year-olds production line instead of the 12-year-olds, so they have problems. Last I heard of a bad batch was a when I bought my first s800g and the remote was dead. (Wow, that was 2 years ago? Where'd the time go???) But, it happens.

What I suggest is when it begins doing this, try to feel if the motors are warm. If they're overheating, they could either be shutting off because of that or it could be an indicator that they're drawing too much current. If there's a bad wire somewhere, it could be putting too much or too little resistance on it, and I'm not sure, but the heli might have something to protect itself on the board from something like that happening. (I think that's how the motor crash protection thing works) When the motors are stopped dead from crashing, the current goes up and the motors will burn up. If the current is already way up, then it should trip that.

Lets see if SF or SN can back up this idea, but that could be the culprit. But then again, if it's fine after it cools down for the rest of the flight, then it shouldn't be, a problem in the circuit should be constant... and it can't be that something has to expand or anything because it's when it cools back down that it flies well...

Ok, on second thought, I'm pretty well stumped for as late at night as it is. I'm only up this late because I was working on a little project that I can only do on my Christmas break. Good luck with solving this issue!!!

w9lw
Guests
December 22, 2014 - 2:41 pm

My apologies if this issue is addressed elsewhere. I scanned the forum and didn’t find this exact issue. I wonder if anyone else has experienced it.

I purchased a Syma S107G from T-Mart. On the first flight (using the battery power that existed out of the box), I was very pleased with how stable the helicopter is, especially compared to my first, inexpensive RC helicopter, the Protocol Dash I bought for $20 at a local discount store.

Unfortunately, after that first flight, problems developed. The main rotor motors shut down intermittently after launch. Sometimes, it happens about a second after powering up. At other times, the helicopter will fly for two or three seconds and then fall from the sky when the motors stop running.

In any case, after it happens, the motors will not run again until I first move the throttle level all the way to the “off” position.

I searched the Web and found others complaining of a similar issue. In every case, the cause respondents proposed was infrared (IR) interference. In my case, I ruled out IR interference by testing in a dark room with no IR sources (no TVs, etc.). I easily duplicated my problem in this dark room.

I have also ruled out loss of IR signal as the cause, by holding the model right next to the controller while operating the throttle lever. Even with the model inches from the controller, I can duplicate the problem.

I have noticed that I if I hold the model while pushing the throttle to its highest setting, the motors do not stop running. I cannot, however, fly with that much power without crashing into the ceiling.

I have also noticed that often, after several minutes of attempts, the helicopter will begin to perform more normally, allowing me to fly around the room without any unexpected motor shut downs. After the battery dies and I recharge the model, the problem consistent recurs on the next flight attempt.

I have a theory and would be interested in what any S107G experts think of it. I noticed that the manufacturer describes as one of the model’s features, “Double Protection: Helicopter flys more safety, as it will be power-off automatically when chocked (sic).” I take this to mean that if the rotor blades encounter an obstruction, the motors will stop running automatically. I suspect this very feature is malfunctioning on my bird, causing it to act as if the rotors have been “chocked” when in fact they have not.

What thoughts do you have?

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5