Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Helitalk
just a user to user editorial about our advice process by me, CPD.
CPD
Guests
July 5, 2012 - 7:16 am

I just wanted to write a little something down about how we go about, or at least how I go about, giving advice and whatnot.

When you come here looking for advice on a problem with a heli, a mod you want to do, or advice on about anything with rc helis, (not just the s107 we all love) we really do enjoy trying to help and give usfull answers. I don't know if everybody's ever listened to Cartalk, but that's almost what we have here, just with helis. It's like "helitalk." You come with a question, and we go through trying to answer and have a little fun while we're at it.

Usually, somebody will ask a question or give a scenario and problem, i.e. "I crashed, and now my heli does this ___", and we go through a small Q&A to figure out what the problem is. Generally, for mechanical issues, either me or supernova will come allong, ask if you checked a couple of very common problem areas, and if you haven't, say how to check them. Then you come back, and hopefully say "Yes, it was the doodad on the thingamajig that was broken/bent! Thanks very much! New part's on its way.", in which case Supernova usually jumps in with a how-to video, and if he doesn't have one already, tells you how, then possably makes a video because it's one he didn't make already but might need again. If not, we tend to go farther and farther along, asking you to check this and that, until it's to the point where we say "Well, I just don't know..." or "I think it might be time to just pony up the $25 and buy a new heli." If it turns into an electrical/electronics issue, our new found electronics guru Raptor usually steps in and says "Oh, yeah, that problem that can't be fixed is a $5 fix with this part and a minute and a half of work."

Keep in mind, we're not at all experts, we do not claim to be experts, (I for one won't think of claiming to be an expert unless I get a job designing the things, and probably still wouldn't claim to be one) we're just guys having fun with toys for grown ups, and who all have some level of expertise in certain fields.

I personally am going to be a sophmore in Mechanical Engineering Technology at a University of Pittsburgh sattalite campus who has allways been messing around with mechanical toys and whatnot, allways been into model trains and has at least a decent ammount of basic modling experience. (kits and scratchbuilding) That said, I'm not an engineer (yet) nor am I that great of a scratchbuilding modler. I usually end up helping out on the lower tiers of a repair question, then try to learn from the higher teirs when SN, Raptor or SF are called in.

Supernova has extensive experience with all things RC, and could probably fix about any mechanical issue on anything rc. He generally goes in with an excelent how-to video that he (and usually his parrot) made about how to fix the issue, and gets it all sorted out on some more of the complex problems.

Raptor, as I said before, is really the go-to guy for electronics. I'll admit, any time he starts trying to fix something electronic through here, I end up like a deer in the headlights. But, that's why he's so critical to the group.

Of course, John or Syma Freak is pulling off keeping this site going, writing reviews, providing moral support, and basically acting as the father figure of the forums, managing his children.

That all said, of course, yes, there will be questions over our heads. We're just going off of what experience we have. We don't build the helis, we don't design them, we don't design the plan for your life, and we're not you in your situation.

I at least enjoy helping everybody here, and I know the other guys do to. If they didn't, well, they wouldn't be here. We're allways looking for fresh blood to help, and there's a lot more here than just "I have this problem, can you help?" Even after we help you out, stick around, try to learn a little from the other guys, and just enjoy the syma world!

Helitalk, from symas107.com!Image Enlarger

Widdog
Guests
September 6, 2012 - 10:07 pm

Image Enlarger

I’m not trying to ‘Highjack” your Topic but I like it so I decided to post here. Has anyone tried the F Series F106 Fire Wolf 4 ch Micro? I have one and I think it’s one of the best 4 ch Micro’s out there.

Supernova
Guests
September 1, 2012 - 7:18 pm

Welcome back CPD, good to see you on board again, been on holiday myself but home now.

Laugh

CPD
Guests
August 23, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Yeah, this is becomming too frequent of a problem...  Supposedly the problem was a defective replacement hard drive... Don't buy it because it'd still boot partially before failing, and they backed up my files... Not my programs like office and whatnot, but at least my files...

Syma Freak
Admin
August 23, 2012 - 6:23 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wooo we were worried about you CPD -great to hear your computer is eventually up and working,we are all happy to get your posts again..awesome dude!!!

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CPD
Guests
August 23, 2012 - 3:43 am

HALE FREAKING LUJIA!!! I just got my laptop back AGAIN from it being down with a bad hard drive. (supposedly the last one was defective...) At least this time they could backup my files, but not any of the programs or anything that I had. :(

Anyway, I'll be off to college this sunday, and I'm making sure to bring my box o' helis along. Gonna get back into actually flying them, esp. with me leaving the wii at home. (although if Black Ops II comes out for wiiU, well, nobody'll see me except for class and food...)

Anyway, good to be back, again...

Syma Freak
Admin
August 16, 2012 - 11:59 am

Raptor,went to post office yesterday,unfortunately they could not help me as to where your parcel is as I did not pay extra $9 for tracking,it was sent by email,however maybe floating on a boat in the pacific.Great computer working ok now.

Raptor
Guests
August 16, 2012 - 9:17 am

My computer deiced it was ready for its annual re-install, Normally i decide when i want to do it, but it insisted it wanted it NOW :(

So i thought whilst i was re installing my PC, i would give Mac OSX as shot. (now if only skype would play ball with it)

After a bit of struggling, and faffing, my PC is now a Mac ^_^ (running Mountain Lion)

I also had quite a bit going on at the time, the company i work for was changing over from XP to Windows 7 (which is quite a irritating upgrade, due to all of the incompatibilities with the in-house software) and the added chaos of extending the Kitchen into the dining room, and re-modeling them and the front room.

But all of that is done now, so now, hopefully, i can get back to the fun stuff of building my quad, and making stuff for my Syma helicopters. (Shame that s031 from SymaFreak hasn't arrived yet)

Syma Freak
Admin
July 23, 2012 - 12:28 am

Not sure what happened to Raptors computer,hope he has it working again

CPD
Guests
July 22, 2012 - 11:27 pm

Whoo! Glad to be back...  not glad to have lost all of my files...

Hope raptor didn't loose his too.

Supernova
Guests
July 22, 2012 - 7:15 pm

WAHAY!!!! CPD back on SmileSmile and Raptor is all fixed to SmileSmile

Syma Freak
Admin
July 21, 2012 - 2:51 pm

Wooo, great to see you back CPD.I know what is like to lose all the old stuff from a computer, really a pain.I now try to backup each week.You have been missed,also Raptor's computer blew up as well and he has not been on the forum for awhile...

CPD
Guests
July 21, 2012 - 7:28 am

Ok, just got it back today...

New HDD...

Dangit this sucks not having any of my old stuff--no old favorites, no old files, no old anything. Just like a new computer, just with old parts. 🙁

Good news is, I'm back!

Syma Freak
Admin
July 12, 2012 - 10:18 pm

Hope you get your computer fixed soon,a real pain when they go wrong....

CPD
Guests
July 11, 2012 - 3:23 am

well, go figure that right after i wrote all that, the motherboard in the laptop fried like chicken and now its really hard to post here because all i have left is the wii internet since my backup desktop also blew a motherboard.

this little post is taking about 15 minutes, so dont expect to see me for 3 weeks until toshiba fixes it.

thank god for warranties!!!!!!!!! Until next time, keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together! (as Red Green allways said)

CPD
Guests
July 7, 2012 - 1:51 am

Oh, don't worry--I wrote that post before yours popped up! lol

I re-read what I posted originally, and it sounded too much like a goodbye thing when it was supposed to be kinda the opposit...

lol

Supernova
Guests
July 7, 2012 - 1:36 am

Sorry I did not think it was goodbye, but after reading my post I see what you mean Embarassed 

CPD
Guests
July 7, 2012 - 1:28 am

Well, I don't know about you, but I'd think you're probably going to be around, probably still updating the forums! By that point, "90's the new 70!" (which it isn't... it's still 90, just by that point we should be living an extra 10 or more years)

$40k to 50k at the absolute bottom dollar, being in an area where there's more engineers than engineering jobs, isn't as great as it used to be, but considering it's the absolute bottom dollar starting position, and around where I live it's more like between 50-60k, and you get bumped up after something like 7-11 years working with them to a senior engineer, and make a heck of a lot more money, it's not bad at all.

(FYI, this wasn't meant to be a goodbye message or anything like that--just a little blurb to the new guys about how we like to go through helping people with their problems)

Supernova
Guests
July 7, 2012 - 1:26 am

CPD, you are a star in your own right, I thank you for your words and appreciate them very much, I thank you for your help also. I think you have summed up exactly what we are all about very well. 

The funny thing is we have all never met each other, but nothing stops us, may we all help each other for a very long time.

Yoorana

Syma Freak
Admin
July 6, 2012 - 7:03 pm

Point C sounds good to me- making a nice living of life opens up many roads.. if you still have time to post on the forum is great, you have to consider your future life. I am certain in the next 30 years when I am pushing up the flowers in my grave. you will remember your time on this forum with a nice feeling inside as you were honest,helpful,and made a few friends here!! We are all with you for your future hit in life- "Life sucks then you die" grab your moments of life when you can, I am coming back as a Lipo battery, so can be recharged every day--lol

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9