Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Gear oil
Lubrication
Tags: Syma X9
CPD
Guests
November 29, 2012 - 2:39 am

stipud typos... -__-

lol

Anyway, at least on machinery, you oil chains and gears, (moving parts that you want to move earier) and grease wear points like where the main shafts pass through eachother, between the blades and the part holding them on, (blanking on the name of that part) between the two main gears, in between the swash plate on the 800g, etc. Now, the problem is that with these little things, it would be hard to get it in some of the small nooks and crannies that need greased.

Probably could use graphite like what you use for pinewood derby cars for that kind of stuff. Only thing with that is it's a tad finikey and very messey.

Ah, it'll probably be another 6 months, and we'll have it down to a science. Lol.

Syma Freak
Admin
November 28, 2012 - 8:11 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"lithium grease" gee Supernova you do not tan with this oil? sorry just picked up on Tain oil--lol

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CPD
Guests
November 27, 2012 - 10:46 am

Supernova said
Has anybody tried silicon grease? the sort that deep sea divers use on the wet suit zips, I ask because I always used it when I was a diver, it is impervious to sea water and stays on the plastic zips for a long time it is available in small tubes like super glue, (but don't get them mixed up!!!)Surprised

Just a thought.

Yeah, I make sure to bring that up when recomending it. There's probably some really techical thing we could come up with--"oil this and that with the train oil, lubricate these parts with silicon grease."

The only thing I'll warn against is white lithium grease that you get for trains and whatnot--all I've ever seen that stuff do is become a brick on your worm screws and gears that you cannot get off.

EDIT: Stupid typos...

Supernova
Guests
November 27, 2012 - 3:41 am

Has anybody tried silicon grease? the sort that deep sea divers use on the wet suit zips, I ask because I always used it when I was a diver, it is impervious to sea water and stays on the plastic zips for a long time it is available in small tubes like super glue, (but don't get them mixed up!!!)Surprised

Just a thought.

CPD
Guests
November 26, 2012 - 1:24 pm

Syma Freak said
CPD,gave me a life saver on the train gear oil,I use now on helis and planes,and quads.you only need a drop!!

train-gear-oilImage Enlarger  

Is this the gear oil you use CPD? I have used this one photo showing--it is really a light oil and I use like a tooth pick to get minimum amount--know you posted before on this..think need to put all posts together on you gear oil, as viewers have asked this question before..

I bought it from Amazon-link here

Smile SF

Yeah, that's the same stuff I think. Should be anyway, that's actually made by Bachmann, so it should be the best out there. As for sewing machine oil, that's a good idea, just make sure it's not petrolium based and plastic safe. There's a lot of oils out there that are petrolium based, and those will degrade the gears. Might make it run better for now, until the gears just up and shatter in a crash. The other thing is wether or not it's conductive and will screw with the electronics. That's one of the key reasons why I like the model train oil--it's meant to be used on trains with several hundred dollar circut boards and pcb's that get a LOT more oil on them than these little guys get on their puney $5 board. I know Bachmann's little HO trains have only $50ish boards, but the larger ones cost... whew!

azhag
Guests
November 26, 2012 - 1:01 am

The other day I was buying a sewing machine oil for my grandma in a nearby workshop, and just thought: why not? It doesn't dry, it's extreamly cheap (about $1 for a 100ml bottle that will be enough for the next 10 years) and works like a charm. :)

So if there is some sewing machines workshop or any shop with stuff like that near you, you might give it a try.

Syma Freak
Admin
November 24, 2012 - 4:37 pm
Forum Posts: 1452

CPD,gave me a life saver on the train gear oil,I use now on helis and planes,and quads.you only need a drop!!

train-gear-oilImage Enlarger  

Is this the gear oil you use CPD? I have used this one photo showing--it is really a light oil and I use like a tooth pick to get minimum amount--know you posted before on this..think need to put all posts together on you gear oil, as viewers have asked this question before..

I bought it from Amazon-link here

Smile SF

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CPD
Guests
November 19, 2012 - 11:58 pm

What I use is model train oil. It comes in a bottle that has a small application needle for applying directly to each tooth of the gears you want to oil. I like how it's non petroleum, so it doesn't degrade the plastic, and it isn't conductive, so it is safe when it covers the entire thing. (that's the only major downside--it ends up covering the entire heli) You can get it on amazon, and there's probably something like it at a hobby shop somewhere near you.

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
November 19, 2012 - 12:00 pm
Forum Posts: 264

Has anyone tried using gear oil or
Lubricant for plastic motor gears? I
Remember using "special racing oil"
By AFX/Aurora years ago for slot cars.
Just wondered if anyone has any info.
Thanks.