Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Fix'ed Yellow's TBE Hover Problem
Tags: Syma X9
Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 4:41 pm

Im sad to report that Red is boxed up and headed for kentucky tomorrow.

Should have him replaced in a couple of week. Thats the good news  :>)

Blue should be here tomorrow or the next day  :>) 

Too bad I didn't have a spare board. I would have gladly used it on Red to save him, oh well…

Time to order a couple of spare boards, and keep em in stock. Live and learn…

I found some brownish, non petroleum based 100% silicone grease, and lubed the gears with that for a test, and it seems to stay on the gears real good. The color makes it easy to tell when the film is getting scarce. Seems real smooth, so we'll see how long it lasts. Can't wait to get the Liquid Gears stuff in my hot little hands  Smile 

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 2:30 pm

Thats a bummer... check this out... My red one has gone nuts. It spind wildly, when I turn left or right, I mean spins real fast, and the trim is super touchy and impossible to stabilize. Im sending it back for a replacment. I think a component on the board has failed, like a voltage regulator or something. It will spin super fast left or right (equal) so it's not a motor I don't think. Yellow is still flawless. Bye bye Red...  sniff sniff...  Frown

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Either way, the interesting thing is, my yellow's drift is worse, and now reversed, but the TBE, caused by the 6 visable bends in the main shaft, is now about gone.

It does one 1 1/4 inch circle, then moves foreward 6 inches half an inch to its right, then repeats. (Odd, isntit?)

The bad news is, I think my yellow needs to have one last flight, then be retired servicable. The motor's going in it. The lube job helped quiet it, but I can tell a burnt motor a mile away.

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 11:17 am

Yahoooooooooo !  I found it on my favorite website, where I got my heli's, Amazon.

tag=syma107heli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005T4CWLW

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 10:59 am

Your 2nd link was just for the bottle. The first link was for Liquid Bearings, the same stuff the guy was selling for the clocks, thats what we should get for our heli's In my opinion.  I love the needle !  The clock guy wants 2.85 shipping I believe, and the price was like the same, 6.99 or something...  Thats what im gunna buy and try now  Wink 

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 10:45 am

that stuff I found from that one site-the second link, where I was saying it's what I have-is only $3.50

for a full 1 oz bottle, which is a lot of oil. Not sure about shipping, but that's not bad. The $20 lionel set's a rip off.

But, by all means, use whatever you want.

How much is this clock oil, though? That's probably made to be around precious metals and other ones that'll tarnish easilly, so it's probably just as good, if not the same stuff. (brass, silver and gold will tarnish, and I'm guessing have to have special oil to lube, and I'm guessing also need the needles, so it's more than likely comperable stuff)

(and, if it works for you, I might just have to look into it for the next time I need more oil)

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 10:20 am

Quote:

and the track cleaner is (probably-I never use liquid track cleaner) just for metal, and would definately never be good on this cheap plastic.

I sure wasn't insinuating using the track cleaner on the heli's, now way. I only meant it could be good for something, maybe knife switches, cleaning metal tarnish, etc...  The clock lube I found on Ebay is gauranteed to be 100% synthetic, so it may be good, but the train grease and oil is made to be used around plastic.  I like that...  too expensive though...

Im getting the clock lube and giving that a try  Laugh

Just flew both heli's, and their still wisper quiet, very nice, and no Yellow TBE, awesome !

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 9:59 am

DON'T EVER USE THE TRACK CLEANER ON HELIS!!!!!!!

The oil with that is probably petroleum based, and does not have the needle, and is just for a handfull of parts, the all purpose lubricant is the light litium white grease, which would be horrible on the heli, since it dries into a rock and is just all around the oposit of what you want, (trust me on that) and the track cleaner is (probably-I never use liquid track cleaner) just for metal, and would definitely never be good on this cheap plastic.

I'd say use this-tag=syma107heli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005U34QIO

That's what I have and that's what I recommend. Made in USA, and high quality. Also, much cheaper than ANYTHING on amazon-BY FAR.

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 8:38 am

Kinda spendy, but I found this set of stuff. I guess the track cleaner for other stuff.

tag=syma107heli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0006O24ZO

This looks very good and not too expensive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330574.....038;_rdc=1

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 8:12 am

I don't buy WD-40 anymore. I only use Zep and "Slick 50 One Lube" in my shop. Lube a grungy car door hinge with WD-40, and the grunge is back in a few hours. Slick 50 One Lube lasts for weeks.  It works so good, it's all I use on the shifter of my VW trike.  I love smoooooooooooooth...

For washing camera shutters, we used LPS, it cleans away any dirt, oil, etc... and evaporates complety and quickly, but im not sure if it's safe for these plastics yet.  I bet there a quality hobby parts cleaner out there for these.  

I remember Tower Hobby's selling a special wash spray for the elect and nitro cars and trucks. Safe and effective, but too expensive to use on the mud covered Traxxas Revo 4WD nitro truck.  I bet that would be great for these little jewells.

Probably make a can last a couple of years at least !  I think it was like 8 bucks then, but I decided to use the hose, a brush, and the air compressor to keep my Revo spotless and looking nice yet well beaten, and it was, daily  Surprised

10 more minutes of cool down and wisper quiet Yellow is ready for take off on runway 5. 

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 7:37 am

Sorry, not to my knowlege. The way you lubricate trains basically is, on gears, you use this type of oil, on worm screws, you use white grease, and plenty of it. You have to be very precise in where you put the oil, which is why the long needle. As far as cleaning, you use warm water and LIGHT soap, like a drop--not a short sqirt, a DROP-- of dawn or ivory flakes, and carefully wash, so you don't mess up the paint. The innders? Well, if they're dirty enough to need cleaned, it's mostly oil, and that's cleaned, at least how I prefer to do it, with a dry paper towl and lots of time.

That said, there is one recomendation out there to use WD40. It cleans the train, but ends up with the residue over the entire thing. It has its own problems, and I don't use it.

As for the smaller guages, they're a different creature-they do the same for the shell, but just lube the mechanics once in a while with the oil. The mechanics on those are usually self contained, so the only stuff to clean off would be if somebody used real oil or if it's old enough to arc and char the oil in it. (really it burns it, but that makes it sound like they're little firebombs when they're not)

So, really, you could use wd40, if you really wanted a wash spray, but it's not reccomended.

Freeonthree
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 7:21 am

I really like the train oil with the needle, and the fact it's non petroleum based makes it great around plastic.

I was beginning to wonder why I never saw a thread regarding lubrication. Lots of gears in there, and 2 shafts... 

The first thing I noticed after lubricating, was the smooth hum of the tiny machine, the sound of quality you might say.

Then the hand launch was very cool, I couldn't feel all that vibration anymore, smooooooooooooooooooooth....

Now I need to find a good non petroleum parts wash spray.  I know your out there somewhere...

What I found interesting, was the fact that my 3 inch TBE was not something bent, just a lack of lubrication.

I wonder if the model railroad industry has a nifty parts wash spray. Hmmm... 

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 7:07 am

yeah, I think that's classic needing oil. My h107 sounded pretty bad, but spinning the blades by hand, it's almost silent.

Next up, after I pack for camping this weekend, will be oiling the 102, possably with a video for that, since it's different.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 5:50 am

My 108 sounds like a b-17 for a helicopter lol! Cause the gears are put in tight, so I had to use pliers to pull them out. When I did, I guess it flattened out the corner of a tooth, so I went to cut that flattened part off with nail clippers, and that didn't work. So I then had to file it down, and that worked a little bit, but not well enough. And now when that tooth hits, it makes a little clicking sound, lol. It concerns me, but it is somewhat humorous. It flies fine, it sounds a little choppy, and I think it messes with the turning a little bit, but that's pretty much it. The turning seems delayed.

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 2:21 am

That's why I was saying about needing to run at low speeds for a minute or two before flight. The oil needs worked in by hand for a few minutes, then needs ran at low speeds, then medium, then full. It works around, and coats everything. I wouldn't be too worried about the MB, but you might worry about getting sprayed. The one thing different is with trains, if it sprays, it sprays inside the shell (body) or onto the tracks. (the tracks is kinda a problem if it gets on the head of the rails)

Supernova
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 2:14 am

Good video Laugh I think it will help, but we must be very careful not to put to much oil on them as when they take off you will get sprayed.

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 2:08 am

Supernova said:

Be very very careful if you think they need lubing and do it very sparingly PLEASE only with teflon grease.

Wink

Real oil, I could understand- that takes a lot of the strength out of plastic, and attracts a lot of dirt. Grease sticks, but it also atracts dirt and makes a huge mess. What's nice with the train oil is the needle that puts the oil exactly where you need it, and you squeeze the bottle to exactly how much you want, and there is little excess. And, what excess there is, is designed not to interfere with electronics. When you get inside of the HO trains n stuff, it sprays out and stuff, right onto the electronics in there, and I've never heard of any problems with it and them.

The other thing is, when the oil evaporates, it leaves a residue. I have yet to decide if this is good, bad or indifferent, since it helps protect whatever it is from wear, but it does not lubricate, and I can't tell yet if it corrodes anything. Being that it's non-oil, and designed to not corrode stuff, I'm inclined to say it forms a protective barrier against wear and rust. (granted, on an alluminum alloy heli, rust isn't much of an issue)

CPD
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 1:56 am

Graphite's good. Used to have a lot of that around from my pinewood derby days. I have a video I'm uploading right now on oiling with the train oil. It takes 3 minutes to oil the entire s107g, including me explaining the oil and stuff while I'm doing it. I also thought it'd be hard with the 102, but I just remembered after the vid about how it has the bottom open to the gears.

It's really simple-just put it on the gears between the teeth, move it a little, and keep doing that until they're all well covered. It evaporates after a month or so, but by then the helis would need it again anyway.

Uhp! Uploading done! feature=youtu.be

Supernova
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 1:54 am

Be very very careful if you think they need lubing and do it very sparingly PLEASE only with teflon grease.

Wink

bobO
Guests
February 7, 2012 - 1:38 am

My first thought was white grease for the gears, but then I thought I don't want something that's going to attract dirt, lint etc. So until I get some model train oil, I'm using the graphite oil. Just hope it doesn't get on the mother board and muck things up.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5