Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Charging from USB via phone charger
Tags: Syma X9
mani999
Members
January 27, 2017 - 11:10 pm
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I dont think so , They are the wrong voltage, wrong amprage, and wrong plug. because few are offering 5 , 10 years warranty.

Ragnyr
Guests
September 8, 2012 - 6:48 am

Battery now changed flight time 7.5 mins, I only got 4.5 to 5 when I first flew it. So great improvement. The second heli I just got gave 10 mins ! On first flight , but now I only fly it for 6 before charge, no to over cook it

CPD
Guests
September 8, 2012 - 2:11 am

Sorry to hear that. The usual reccomendation has been 15 minutes before charging after flight, 15 minutes before flying after charging. Personally, it's however long it is until I get around to flying after charging since I start other things and get distracted for like 20, and only use the charger.

To be frank, we're not the manufacturer, and they're the ones who made the heli, the ones who made the battery, and the ones who best know how to charge it. Outside of needing to repair it, I would only go the time tested and proven route of charging with the computer USB charger.

Ragnyr
Guests
September 7, 2012 - 10:58 pm

Further to my above posts, I have to report the battery has died on meCryEmbarassedCry. I am not sure if it was using a different chare source or that I may not have allowed enough time for it to cool as I was keen to get flying again. On removal of the battery I found that it had swollen in a couple of places causing bubbles

So I have learnt from this a couple of thing I shall now do to be on the safe side

1 only use the PC USB to charge
2 wait a hell of a lot longer to make sure the battery is cooled right down
3 Patience

Ragnyr
Guests
August 31, 2012 - 7:01 pm

I have been doing some research on this, since my first query, there are some consideration to remember all USB outlets are not the same while most USB output at 5v the amperage can be a lot different on wall chargers htc phone chargers put out 1amp, iPad chargers put out 5.1v 2.1 amp. The industry standard for USB seems to be 500ma for PC's. so one may find that your phone or iPad will not have enough power from these.

I did take bull by the horns so to speak and used my PVR and DVD outlets to charge the heli assuming that they would be standard as they are designed for pen dives and external hard disks.

The result was charging time the same as from PC, flying time the same. I am no expert in these matters but using logic I will guess that using this method OK, now if my battery dies next week I will know I was wrong. A replacement battery is not expensive, if a pain to fit.

Warnings about using the correct charger should allways be heeded to avoid the risk of fire.

tenntrains
Guests
August 31, 2012 - 12:48 pm

I do not know why a Kindle charger or an Iphone charger that plugs into the wall outlet and has a USB charger connection on it would not work. You can plug a Kindle or IPhone into the computer to charge or use the AC converter to USB plug to charge the item.  So the output from the USB port on those converters should be the same as the USB port on the computer. Plug the USB Charger into the USB port on those converters and when the light comes back on just like on the computer the heli is charged.

My reasoning OK?

Ragnyr
Guests
August 29, 2012 - 10:12 am

Yes I can see the prob now with phone charger regarding voltage , amperage , although they now have a standard USB plug unit that the phone fly lead plugs into that would take other USB fly leads hence my question. But with your advice I would not like to risk it, and that was what I was after.

However I have since had a thought that quite a lot of consumer electronics have a USB outlet to read pen drives ans external hard drives. For example TVs, PVRs, Blue Ray players , games consoles. Bearing in mind the use intended for these I would think they would have the same output as a PCs. It would be more convenient for me to use my PVR than have to fire the laptop to charge.

I would be interested to hear if anyone had thought of this , or used this method? Or is there an electronics wiz who would have the answer. As I would not want to damage my battery or cause a fire!

CPD
Guests
August 28, 2012 - 11:38 am

They sell wall outlet USB charger plugs for that kind of a thing, just be carefull--we've had some guys come on here saying about them doing things like, oh, having the wrong polarity or wrong voltage. (both things that either make it not charge or blow up the heli's battery)

As for a cell phone charger, well, you just can't even think about it. They are the wrong voltage, wrong amprage, and wrong plug.

Ragnyr
Guests
August 27, 2012 - 9:16 pm

I was wondering if it is ok to use a phone charger instead of a computer USB ie HTC for the 107

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2