Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
can someone identify if this is a fake/copy?
can some one identify if this is a fake or a copy?
Tags: Syma X9
TrevorC
Guests
December 20, 2012 - 4:19 pm

I think I understand it now.  I guess the helicopter is just getting blown around by its own prop wash.   The windows in my house leak a little and it is very windy outside, probably makes it harder for the helicopter to fly.

zedorda
Guests
December 20, 2012 - 4:00 pm

That video is awesome, much better than trying to put it into words. And thanks SF I try to contribute :P

Syma Freak
Admin
December 20, 2012 - 3:09 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That was a a fantastic post and video to explain CPD-also Zedorda great input to the forum..are you sure you guys don't fly real helicopters? Wink

helicopter

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

CPD
Guests
December 20, 2012 - 2:28 pm

You can kinda see the effect of ground effects in the begining. When close to the ground, the propwash goes out to the sides, and it also swirls off of objects upward, and into the side and props of the heli. Depending on how close you are to objects (beds, walls, kitchen cabinates, people, wild mongooses chasing mice through the hazardous obstical course you call living room furnature while avoiding the weird flying thingie, etc.) the heli can be pushed away from the object, or can have the propwash swirl up, and make it loose all thrust on that side, causing it to crash, and thus loose control. The fact that you have greater lift at lower altitudes above the ground (according to another video, and it makes sense to me with how the air would swirl, within 1 blade diameter of the ground) also can cause it to become unstable from having so much lift.

As for up high, you have a number of things working against you. One, you don't have ground effects, in any way shape or form, which means you need to push more air, since you are only relying on the pocket of air below your heli to keep it airborn. You also have some problems that are kinda only related to indoor helis, but also real helicopters in a way. Hot air rises, cold air falls, and in a room, while you can't feel it unless you really try, there's some level of a convection current, and also all of the airflow from the heli itself and anything else in the room is reflected and magnified by that height, which can help move it around and make it unstable. You also have the problem of uneven surfaces in many situations, like my dorm room, where if you have one height of box, bed, table, etc. over the floor, then your heli will feel completely different amounts of lift at those points, because your altitude relative to the ground is changing significantly. (like a real helicopter flying over the rocky mountains at an insane height twice or three times their height) Of course, real helicopters end up in high level crosswinds, similar to the convection currents in your house by your ceiling.

Might also be getting some level of bathtub effect, where the propwash is getting cycled upwards, around and into the props from the top, which nullifies the lift provided from the blades.

Whew, that's a long post...

zedorda
Guests
December 20, 2012 - 11:51 am

This is normal mainly because the controls are digital and not analog. So there is rarely a perfect hover throttle position. As for hovering low to the ground you have to consider that when operating an "indoor" helicopter it creates a circuit of air flow. Which is the path the air takes when leaving its blades circulates around the helicopter then returns to the blades forming a loose donut ring with the center at the pivot point of the helicopter blades. Circuit of air flow is commonly referred to by its slang "prop-wash". How this circuit of air flow interacts with the surrounding area and deforms effects the craft like wind. Hovering over a large flat surface like glass is alot easier than say carpet.

I hope this helps and did not confuse you more :)

TrevorC
Guests
December 20, 2012 - 9:31 am

my helicopter is hard to hover close to the ground, but its fine when it is higher up in the air. I also have a hard time getting it to hover in one spot,it drifts around a little even if there is no breeze and it slowly drifts up or down. It has acted like that since I took it out of the box. 

Syma Freak
Admin
December 12, 2012 - 11:00 am
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

TrevorC said
i just looked at the hellicopter, nothing seems wrong with the blades or balance bar.  it was going full speed and it was one of the bottom blades that attacked me.

'Man down" as CPD said-I can only relate to getting badly cut up with a rc plane last year..was fitting a new wing servo at home-turned on transmitter binded plane put remote on a chair,it fell off and in doing so pushed the throttle up sending the plane across my foot shredding flesh everywhere..the plane then tore it's way through a screen door missing my dog by a whisker- As CPD said never would expect a small heli to cut you badly..but hey maybe just the angle the blades hit your arm-- At least you can get some mileage out of the event when people ask you what the scar is--- "yes had a fight with a helicopter" lol..hope you are doing ok now

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

TrevorC
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 4:33 pm

i just looked at the hellicopter, nothing seems wrong with the blades or balance bar.  it was going full speed and it was one of the bottom blades that attacked me.

CPD
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 4:06 pm

Wow. These things can sting, but I've never heard of anybody getting cut by the blades, let alone needing stiches!!! Man Down!!! Man down!!!

Hope it's not too bad. I wonder what went wrong that they would do that... you must have been caught with something metal like a screw or the weight in the balance bar. The blades swing out of the way and are rounded plastic... I just don't know what could do that... I would DEFINATLY go over the whole top end of the heli and see if there was something wrong--a screw loose in the balance bar, broken/chipped blade, SOMETHING before it leads to more problems!

I guess syma was right after all when they say on the blades that broken blades can lead to injury... Just thought that was one of those things to cover their butts... 

TrevorC
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 2:24 pm

i wont worry too much about it, the windows are over 40 years old.  also make sure the throttle is of when you turn the helicopter on, i had to get stitches because the blades took a chunk out of my arm.

CPD
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 2:18 pm

I don't remember the exact voltage that runs to these things' led's... I'm sure somebody that did mods with them knows.

I would look around to see if anybody knows the specifics of that.

As for the window, you might not be ablt to feel a draft, but these things take almost nothing to blow all over the place. I could believe that they would move from the minimal draft from a window that isn't quite sealed right. Probably should get that fixed so you're not spending as much heating your house.

TrevorC
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 2:08 pm

i cant feel the draft myself but i guess it is just enough to make the helicopter drift.  also i would like to replace the flashing LED on the nose with something less annoying. what kind of LED will i need?

CPD
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 12:32 pm

Ah, that just means there's a draft comming from your window. If I forget to turn the heat/ac off in my dorm room, that's enough to REALLY screw with these things.

Not a mechanical problem with the heli at all, although you might want to do something to seal up that window, especially with winter on its way!

TrevorC
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 12:05 pm

i tried in different rooms but it still drifts.  it seems like the direction the helicopter points does not make a difference, it just wants to drift away from the window. it is very windy outside if that makes a difference.

Desertflyer
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 11:52 am

When you say "drift around the room" is that all over or which direction, how far/fast? If you think it is air movement find a place with out the air movement, maybe the garage. You might then know if it is air, a weight issue or a mechanical problem.

Hope it works out for you.

Randy

TrevorC
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 10:19 am

yeah, thats the same pattern.  it likes to drift around the room when it hovers, but it might just be air movement causing it.

Desertflyer
Guests
December 10, 2012 - 1:40 am

Glad you were able to get it worked out with the shop. Is this the paint pattern on the new one?

qid=1355063678&sr=8-1&keywords=s107g+helicopter+american+flag

This is the second American flag paint patterns.

Enjoying fling

Randy

TrevorC
Guests
December 9, 2012 - 7:43 pm

It was refusing to fly properly so I took it back to the store and exchanged it for another one but it is painted a little different.  I asked them to check the price and they gave me a discount that lowered the price to $30.   i learned that the blades are dangerous when they are spinning, i had to get stitches because i did not realize that the new remote does not have a spring on the throttle.

Desertflyer
Guests
December 8, 2012 - 11:39 am

TrevorC said
It seems real but both motors have black tops. Im annoyed that I paid way too much for it, im glad I didn't pay $150 for the s800g

The one I got as a gift from Amazon (same color) has black tops on motors and everything shows real, I checked some spare parts and they are the same size and it flyes the same as my other one.

I agree with zedorda if you have a concern.

Randy

zedorda
Guests
December 8, 2012 - 11:03 am

Well an actual brick and mortar store is very unlikely to sell fakes since for nearly any reason you can return it. If your in the states then I would go offer them to price match it. If they are smart they will at least offer a percentage back toward customer loyalty.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5