Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Bought 4 Syma S107's - My findings...
Tags: Syma X9
CPD
Guests
November 25, 2011 - 3:50 pm

Maybe you got a couple of the rare ones that I've heard of where they're clones, not exactly fakes, and they somehow fly better and last longer than the real ones. I don't know how, but somebody apparantly made some minor improvements when they coppied them. Personally, I think the motors and batteries were probably leftovers from some bigger, more important contract, and they made extras or something, that they then used in the clones. Either that, or they had a second factory making them and it has better tooling for motors, or simply tooling to make higher-standard motors, which would cost more to replace to produce lower-quality ones than it's worth.

It's a major problem over there, though, and not just on these little birdies. My uncle bought a UNC (I beleive model 1201) pump-action shotgun from the army-navy store, and I was looking it up to find the bolt that holds the stock on. (how he lost that, I have absolutely NO idea, but you're able to swap between a regular stock and a pistol-grip riotgun stock by unscrewing that bolt, so that's a start) Apparantly, the whole point of that company is to cheat the international patent system by directly copying great american gun designs with inexpensively made ones using stamped metal parts, dirt cheap labor and plastic-lots of plastic. For $110 US, it's not that bad for one that has no purpose at the moment, but it would definately not be a first choice if anything counted on it! (that's what they have model 1903 Springfield's for...)

What I want to know is what little old lady's dress was cut up to line the insides of my $1 leather work gloves. Lol. (sad part is- I'm not even joking!)

Flatland
Guests
November 24, 2011 - 4:19 pm

I don't think it's the color so much as finding the right seller.  If you want to get a "real" one, I'd look for Egrandbuy as the seller and not Amazon.

In the end, I can't see it mattering very much.  They all fly nearly the same (again, with small exceptions) and I don't think my brother, who doesn't know real vs. fake, would be able to tell the difference.  I guess there is the fear of getting a dud, but even the real ones are cheaply produced in China.  Is their quality really any better?  Maybe I just got lucky.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the S107's!  I didn't think they could be this good (quality, appearance) for $20.  I'm glad to have found them, and big thanks to the owner of this site for the reviews.  I'll most likely be buying more in the future to cut down on time between charging.

My only problem is getting over the tendency to want to use the right stick for aileron roll and not yaw, but I'm getting used to it.

CPD
Guests
November 24, 2011 - 3:19 pm

Yep, sounds to me like you sure did get a couple of fakes.

My thought is though, does that mean that the blues have less chance of being fake? They seem to me like the least favored color, which would seem like they'd sell less fake ones, and there's not so much to make them want to produce them.

Flatland
Guests
November 24, 2011 - 2:46 pm

Image EnlargerThe blue (real) one has a more pointy nose.

Image Enlarger

Each USB plug is different.

Image Enlarger

Real on top.  Fake on bottom.  Note: The styrofoam tray is upside down in the pic.  When in the box, both heli's face to the left.

Image Enlarger

Real on top.  Fake on bottom.

Flatland
Guests
November 24, 2011 - 2:36 pm

I bought three S107's for my brother for Christmas who is overseas and one for myself and my son.  I bought extras since my brother is 6,000 miles away and wanted to be sure he had spares should something break.  I also tested each one out because I didn't want to ship them so far only to find out one or all were busted. 

I bought one of each color, with an extra yellow one for myself.  I've flown 450 size heli's from several years now but these are my first micro size.

Blue (Seller: Egrandbuy Inc) -

Red (Seller: Amazon LLC) -

Yellow (Seller: Amazon LLC) -

Going by the pictures posted on this blog, the blue one appears to be real and the red and yellow ones (from Amazon) are fake.

Blue

• rounded tail rotor
  • "swoosh" lines on main blades (see pics)
  • did not come with spare blades
  • black motors
  • box is slightly larger and wider with styrofoam tray
  • smooth surface on controller
  • transmitter "on" LED is green
  • 2-channels (A, B)
  • green armed/connected LED
  • slightly faster forward flight, tail kicks more up and down when stick is pulled

Red/Yellow

• flat tail rotor
  • two short, straight black lines on main blades
  • does come with spare blades
  • red and green motors
  • box slightly smaller and thinner
  • controller textured all over
  • transmitter "on" LED is red
  • 3-channels (A, B, C)
  • red armed/connected LED
  • more punch in rapid climb

Both sets had the correct "warning" text on the main blades.  The transmitters are NOT compatible between the two, no matter which channel you select.  Both had translucent black main blades grips.

All three colors had slightly different USB charging cables.  One of the cables had the LED mounted on the opposite side from the other two.

Now here's the good news.  All four heli's flew perfectly out of the box!  They were all super stable in hover and were easy to move around (except for the differences noted in forward speed and climb).

I don't know for certain if the "real" one I have really is real or if the "fake" ones I have really are fakes, but they seemed to match most of the descriptions detailed on this blog.  In the end, they flew great though, so it doesn't bother which one is which.  I'm wondering if I can bend the tail rotor slightly to increase its pitch to increase the forward speed.

I hope this helps people out there trying to decide which one to buy.  Let me know what you guys think.

(Will post the pics if I can find a way to share them.  Looks like no attachments here?)

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2