Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Battery Change (First Time)
Tags: Syma X9
MikeK
Members
May 17, 2014 - 7:25 am
Forum Posts: 178
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Latest update in this continuing saga is I found exactly the type of tool I'm looking for -- but it's too expensive to be practical.  It's a watchmaker's tool called a pin vise.  Problem is the cheapest one I could find costs $25.  If I had frequent occasion to handle these little screws I would buy one, but I don't. 

Scrounging around in a junk drawer I came across a very small clamp which is rubber-coated and imparts strong holding tension.  It grips the head of the little screws and holds them firmly.  If I'd had it yesterday it would have made the only difficult part of changing the 107's battery much easier.  I wish I could advise on where to get these little clamps but I don't know where it came from.  All I know is it makes the job much easier than balancing a screw on the tip of a magnetic screwdriver with shaky fingers.

I think that's the end of my battery changing drama.

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
May 16, 2014 - 2:30 pm
Forum Posts: 264

Eyeglass repair kit?   Hmmmm, never thought of that but makes sense 

and inexpensive enough and available locally !  Thanks for the tip ! 

MikeK
Members
May 16, 2014 - 1:58 pm

JamDJ said
Mike, 

After our chat, I neglected to tell you that I work for a home improvement

superstore and headed straight for our tool department after I read your post.

( I was on lunch break ! ) We pretty much figured that no such tool exists or 

would be nearly impossible to find. 

I wanted to share with the forum that the magnetic screwdriver would be

your best bet. Agreed that battery replacement is no small task, but can 

be accomplished for those willing to try. I was more afraid of frying my

motherboard with my soldiering iron when I replaced mine last year,

but it all worked out. Good luck!

JamDJ,

Using a magnetic screwdriver was the way I finally managed to position those tiny screws.  It would have been much easier if I were younger because one of the deficits of aging is a slight trembling of the fingers when performing any kind of precise task.  This job would be made much easier with some sort of tool which is capable of tightly gripping the screw-head enabling the tip of the screw to be firmly introduced and started. 

Ordinary tweezers are no good because their grip on the screw-head is tenuous.  I lost two screws when the tweezer's grip slipped, snapped down, and sent the screws flying.  As I said, lucky I had ordered a set of replacement screws at the same time as I'd ordered a set of replacement blades and the new battery.  I should mention that I've noticed the screws that come with the readily available eyeglass repair kits seem to be the same size as these mini-helicopter screws. 

I hope you have no trouble finding screws to replace those that rusted.

JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
May 15, 2014 - 2:30 pm
Forum Posts: 264

Mike, 

After our chat, I neglected to tell you that I work for a home improvement

superstore and headed straight for our tool department after I read your post.

( I was on lunch break ! ) We pretty much figured that no such tool exists or 

would be nearly impossible to find. 

I wanted to share with the forum that the magnetic screwdriver would be

your best bet. Agreed that battery replacement is no small task, but can 

be accomplished for those willing to try. I was more afraid of frying my

motherboard with my soldiering iron when I replaced mine last year,

but it all worked out. Good luck!

MikeK
Members
May 15, 2014 - 8:15 am

The new battery I ordered from a Hong Kong vendor (via Amazon) three weeks ago arrived today -- just in time as the battery in my 107 faded away to zero yesterday. 

I had no trouble removing the canopy because I have a #0 Philips screwdriver, but the LED flasher glued to the nose of the canopy connects to the circuit board and prevents complete removal of the canopy -- which is a minor impediment. 

I had no trouble stripping the fine gauge wires because I have an adjustable wire stripper, and I had no trouble tinning and soldering the battery connections, which I wrapped with Scotch tape rather than bother with shrink tubing.  (I have some fine gauge shrink tubing but I don't have a fine torch, so shrinking it might have been an unnecessary hassle.)  A 1/2" strip of Scotch tape did the job quite adequately and will be easy to remove for the next battery change -- which I'm not looking forward to!

Everything about this job went along quite nicely until it was time to replace the canopy screws -- which is not a job for an old guy with weakening vision and a slight arthritic fingers tremor.  Fortunately I had the foresight to order a packet of replacement screws because I lost the two canopy screws right off the bat.  I found it impossible to grip these extremely tiny screws with my fingers to get them started in the canopy mounts and gripping them with a tweezer sent two of them flying to oblivion.  I was finally able to achieve an intricate balancing act with the magnetic screwdriver tip and eventually managed to get the canopy secured. 

I don't wish to discourage anyone from replacing a battery because I'm sure the problem I had is age-related.  I think a young person, especially a woman, would not have the same problem I did.  (Women have small, delicate fingers whereas old guys' big clumsy paws are not suitable for such fine work.) 

The problem I described would be eliminated by use of a  tool which is capable of gripping these tiny screws by the head for initial placement.  Is there such a tool?  If so, where can I get one? 

All advice re: the foregoing will be most appreciated.

Mike K

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5