Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Syma S107 Battery Mods By Dale
RichardBronosky
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 3:23 am

nightops said

Any thoughts on the reverse polarity between the wall charger and the internal battery cabling?  I think I'll just stick to the crossover cable when charging, but it just seems a bit odd.

I can't help but think that the polarity on the charger and helicopter are not "reversed". You put the micro JST-XH connector on a wire where there otherwise was not one. If there is a parity mismatch... I think you need to reverse the parity on the connector your introduced.

Now, if you were using a battery that came with a connector on it - I'd agree with you. But you said that you put the male on the PCB wire and the female on the battery wire. That sounds to me like you have full control over the situation.

Syma Freak
Admin
February 17, 2012 - 12:46 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Syma Freak said:

seaturtle said:

i dont mind charging one at a time.if you can locate a source,that would be great.i dont have a local hobby shop anywhere near where im at ,way out in the sticks.the linked charger just seems a little steep at the moment.

Not the make was looking for but found this Lipo Battery USB Charging Charger Cable on Ebay, should do the trick for you,will keep looking for complete cheap charger

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Syma Freak
Admin
February 17, 2012 - 12:36 pm

seaturtle said:

i dont mind charging one at a time.if you can locate a source,that would be great.i dont have a local hobby shop anywhere near where im at ,way out in the sticks.the linked charger just seems a little steep at the moment.

Not the make was looking for but found this Lipo Battery USB Charging Charger Cable on Ebay, should do the trick for you,will keep looking for complete cheap charger

seaturtle
Guests
February 17, 2012 - 11:24 am

Syma Freak
Admin
February 17, 2012 - 11:09 am

seaturtle said:

ive been thinking about doing the the dale mod.what are my choices for chargers.i see the $40 charger on the link.is there other  charging options that might not be so spendy?

I also had a few usb cables from other helis that had correct fittings to charge,I will have a search to see where you can get them from-try your local model shop,only problem is they only charge one battery at a time.

seaturtle
Guests
February 16, 2012 - 3:40 pm

ive been thinking about doing the the dale mod.what are my choices for chargers.i see the $40 charger on the link.is there other  charging options that might not be so spendy?

Guests
January 19, 2012 - 9:18 am

It would be nice if Syma's battery design included a plug/rceptical connection, much like a cordless phone, or better still, just a 'pop-in' frame work, much the same way a cell phone battery just pops in! Laugh

nightops
Guests
January 19, 2012 - 7:49 am

Whoops... for some reason I thought I read 15g someplace...but the E-flite battery is only 4.3g.  Nevermind on that one 😉  You could wire it directly to a wall charger...it would actually be pretty easy, but it probably wouldn't fly right since the cord would add too much weight.

Any thoughts on the reverse polarity between the wall charger and the internal battery cabling?  I think I'll just stick to the crossover cable when charging, but it just seems a bit odd.

I think I'll mod mine to work similarly to Dave's.  Personally, I'd rather stick with a 20C 240mah battery, than a 150mah 12C one...just my $0.02.  I only wish the batteries I was using came in more rugged packaging similar to the E-flite series 😉

CPD
Guests
January 19, 2012 - 7:40 am

I don't see where you saw 15 grams. I saw 15 minutes, but not 15 grams.

As for the banking turns, that's fairly easy- my stock 107 banks to some degree moving foreward.

If there was a way to cut out the battery circut, and put a wire from it direct to an extension cord or pole, and fly it straight from the wall, no battery, and have it tethered to the wire such that it cannot hit the cieling or walls, that would be very nice. Not many people'd get it because there is no point to it being RC then, but it'd give endless flight! (well, until you catch a motor on fire...)

No crashing, no waiting to charge, no waiting to cool, just fly until the motors quit. Just adjust the leash from the top of the pole, and as it goes up, do something that raises the top section of the pole to just under that level.

nightops
Guests
January 19, 2012 - 2:11 am

15g for that battery! Ouch!  I switched to some 3.7V 240mah 20C ones that I picked up from HK that are 5g...  At 15g, unless you reduce your weight in proportion, then it will decrease your flight time that you would normally see from the stock batteries.

Personally, I wanted to keep it simple.  I picked up a couple of male/female micro JST-XH connectors to match the current charging port of the S107G and the 110V wall charger that I just picked up for it.  From there, I simply clipped the current battery cable and added the *male* connector to the cable in the cockpit going to the board.  Then I added the *female* end to the batteries.  Only odd thing I found is that either the charging port or the wall charger (or both I suppose) have the polarity reversed...  In order to charge the batteries via the wall charger, I have to remove the cables/pins from the plastic housing of the connector, and move them to the opposite side of the connector.  Then I have to reverse this process before connecting it back to the S107 in order for it to fire up.  Has anyone else ran into this?  I'm thinking I'll just build myself a crossover cable to use when charging via the wall.

Either way, charge time is about 20 minutes, and flight time is about 15 minutes.  With the new tail motor, this baby cooks out of turns and from lift-off.  I need to reduce a bit more weight to increase turning speed, but I am pretty much doing banking turns now.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 18, 2012 - 5:56 pm

Battery charging,Well not that long-I have a separate usb cable not the Syma one,charge a few that way,say 15 minutes depending if totally depleted,or use a Parkzone charger If you do this mod take out weight in the canopy nose- all facts on this post of battery size-talk soon

msaeger
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 5:49 pm

I understand the concept I am just trying to decide which batteries to get. What is the charging time?

Syma Freak
Admin
January 18, 2012 - 4:38 pm

A bit longer,but the whole concept is you do not have to wait 15-20 minutes to cool battery before recharge-just get 4 batteries you are flying for over 30 minutes

msaeger
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 2:21 pm

Hey Syma freak, how long is your flight time with the battery you linked?

msaeger
Guests
January 18, 2012 - 2:17 pm

How long does the park zone charger take to charge a battery?

Syma Freak
Admin
January 7, 2012 - 8:56 pm

I spoke to Dale about that last year,he tried a few different batteries which if you read also put links to HobbyKing cheaper batteries,he just found the Parkzone ones lasted longer,but hey he shows you the mod your choice what battery to use,he really showed a simple way to get away from stock battery,really all down to choice,I like Turnigy nano-Tech,really cheap at $1.14 but do not last as long as Parkzone but you can buy more for the price.Really your choice Arscynic

Arscynic
Guests
January 7, 2012 - 7:23 pm

Can you explain why you use the Parkzone battery with a 12c discharge rate when the stock battery is 20c? I find my Thunder Power 160mah with a 25c discharge rate to be much better that stock or Parkzone batteries.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 3, 2012 - 5:29 pm

Well yes-the charge is not done by heli,different battery-you take out old battery and weight in the nose.now forget the charging original on the heli-The new battery charges either by a different usb connector or a Celectra 4-Port 1S 3.7V 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger like from Parkzone so you then can have 4-5 batteries charged and ready to change-no waiting 15 minutes on original Syma battery to cool down-Hope that helps

phil3915
Guests
January 3, 2012 - 11:18 am

So I upgraded my S107 with Dales battery mod and added the lipo charging circuit to my usb charge cable and all is well.

What would happen if I plugged my modified charge cable into the heli BUT my heli was using a battery that already had the lipo charging circuit built in?

There would now be one charge circuit (in the cable) feeding a second charge circuit (in the heli battery).... would this cause problems?

Regards,

Phil H.

Syma Freak
Admin
June 15, 2011 - 12:19 pm

Syma S107 Battery Mods-Update

I have a great Syma S107 Freak like me-I would like to introduce Dale Scribner. He has emailed me some Syma S107 Battery mods with photos that I feel is really worth considering to get more fly time from your Syma S107G.

I know he will be online to help with any problems you might have organizing your Syma S107 battery mod, so contact me here and will get his help for you, however just follow his steps and photos that really explain all-He loves his Syma's and gets the most out of them. So below is his email and advice with photos to change the battery power of your Syma S107.

Email From Dale Syma S107 Battery Mod:

I purchased the connectors, and the E-flite 3.7 150 Mah 12c batteries at the hobby store.  Remove the nose, 2 screws. Unsolder the syma battery and remove it. Remove the weight from the nose also. Feed the connector up through the slots and solder the red on the left and the black on the right, same as original. Replace the nose.

If you find Amazon out of batteries try Hobbyking they are cheaper and quality not to bad, you have to get your own velcro. Connectors also ok but you have to cut end of wire not required-doable!The connectors from Amazon are better,they sell out fast.

Apply the supplied velcro to the bottom of the nose, the loop side. The velcro comes with the batteries. Apply the hook side to the battery. Charge the battery and plug it in, press it to the velcro so the the black end of the battery is even with the back of the nose shell.  Note your polarity, always.

The S107 will be balanced for flight. I kinda think the batteries look like armaments under the nose. No more waiting to fly, just change batteries and go for it.

I purchased a Parkzone battery charger or a single battery. They make a bigger one that will charge 4 batteries. I am going to purchase that next. The single battery charger uses 4 AA batteries and you don't get to many charges. Also, when you apply the velcro to the battery, as I show, it fits to tight into the charger. I took my Dremal and opened the back of the slot until the battery fit as it should.

There is a picture of a tail motor mod. I modified the motor housing to fit the radius on the bigger motor. Super glued the motor on and wired it. With the larger motor, I need to move the battery forward more to balance it. But it work just fine.
Thx, Dale--

Thank you Dale-Photos below in order Dale sent me:

Battery Connector-Click Photo Or here, on Amazon-Battery and connector for $7.37

Image Enlarger

parkzone-battery-charger-symaImage Enlarger

Syma-S107-TrioImage Enlarger

syma-s107-in-lineImage Enlarger

Syma-107-battery-modImage Enlarger

syma-s107-velcro-battery-modImage Enlarger

syma-s107-battery-modification-by-DaleImage Enlarger

syma-s107-stip-downImage Enlarger

naked-syma-s107gImage Enlarger

more-Syma-s107-battery-modImage Enlarger

Syma-S107-tail-modImage Enlarger

syma-S107-mod-chargerImage Enlarger

Well there you go-great mod and photos from Dale Scribner. Guys it is important to thank great heli freaks like Dale for sending me this information- Feel free to leave comments, you might have also done some battery modifications on your own Syma S107, share with us below- or any mods done on your Syma Helicopters-  Above all enjoy your Syma S107

Disclamer

Point to mention-If you are going to do any modifications I and Syma manufacturer are not held responsible for your mods-Do not do mods and expect a warranty on your Syma S107-Just beware you are on your own with any modifications you do to your Syma-

Dale has just sent me another mad mod on his Syma S107 to land in water-must be done not in bright sunlight as infra red remote-Pretty cool idea-photo then video below:You need to do Dale's battery mod above first-all for power and center of gravity.

Syma-S107-Water-Landing-ModImage Enlarger

Up Date Email From Dale January 1st

The pontoons were cut from Styrofoam, sealed with water base paint, then sprayed with water repellant. I tried several versions before I got it right.

I wasn't flying in the sun. There are large trees behind the pool and I waited until the sun went behind them before flying. One time I was trying this and some rays came through the trees and the heli dropped like a rock into the pool. The heli would spend the night in the oven on 110 degrees and was fine the next day. I did not bake the batteries, just dried them off with a paper towel and blew out the connector. I did use the battery mods listed on syma107 site as we needed the extra power to break the water tension. I had to try this quite a few times before I got it right. With the pontoons adding extra weight, it was marginal at best. I used dental floss to tie the pontoons on.
Thank you,
Dale

---------------------------------

Link To Buy Syma S107 Safely from Amazon

Syma S107 Review

Syma S107 Original Battery Replacement

Syma X1 UFO Quad Review

Syma X5C

Amazon Syma Shop

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney