Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Syma S107 Battery Mods By Dale
JamDJ
Lancaster, PA, USA
Admin
August 17, 2015 - 3:16 pm
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

No offense, but I warned you guys about this a year ago!

A little more info needed, Are you pluggging into a direct

module like a cell phone or a device like a laptop or a 

video consloe game, calble or satillite box, etc>?

It does make a difference......

MikeK
Members
August 17, 2015 - 9:12 am
Forum Posts: 178

Mushtang said
The "stock" batteries arrived last week and this weekend I've been converting some of them to be able to plug into the bottom of the copter and be held with Velcro.

The batteries arrived with a charge, and the copter flies for about 4 minutes, but the weird thing is that when I plug it into the modified USB charger the new batteries charge in about 8 minutes and then stop.  The base of the USB charger lights up when there's no battery plugged in, then when you plug in a dead battery the light goes off, and the light comes back on when it's charged.  After 8 minutes the light comes back on.  That seems like it's too short.

But... doing flight tests the copter can fly for about 4 minutes on an 8 minute charge.  That's pretty good!  I'll have to modify a second USB charger so that I can constantly have a full battery while one charges, one cools down after flight, and one cools down after charging, but I'm satisfied.

Anyone else have similar results with an unexpectedly quick charge time?

I have a similar situation with my Cheerson X10-A (nano-copter).  Plug into USB charger, light comes on.  Five minutes and the light goes out.  But the battery is NOT fully charged.  Just slightly charged.  

So now I plug the charger in and set a timer for one hour.  That does the job.  

untouchable4206
Guests
August 17, 2015 - 4:09 am

Pretty cool mods here.  Seems the like copters and quads are getting a lot of attention these days.  I did a 390mAh battery mod that is very similar to here.  Love the pontoons. 

Redfive
Guests
February 3, 2015 - 5:54 am

That charging time is amazing but I can't help worrying that it's too quick and may damage the batteries. Do watch for batteries swelling/exploding.  I have no experience with these lipo batteries doing that but I have seen the warnings.

I have been advised on my blade 120sr to allow the motors to cool between battery changes. It seems logical on the 107 too.

Mushtang
Guests
February 2, 2015 - 4:25 am

The "stock" batteries arrived last week and this weekend I've been converting some of them to be able to plug into the bottom of the copter and be held with Velcro.

The batteries arrived with a charge, and the copter flies for about 4 minutes, but the weird thing is that when I plug it into the modified USB charger the new batteries charge in about 8 minutes and then stop.  The base of the USB charger lights up when there's no battery plugged in, then when you plug in a dead battery the light goes off, and the light comes back on when it's charged.  After 8 minutes the light comes back on.  That seems like it's too short.

But... doing flight tests the copter can fly for about 4 minutes on an 8 minute charge.  That's pretty good!  I'll have to modify a second USB charger so that I can constantly have a full battery while one charges, one cools down after flight, and one cools down after charging, but I'm satisfied.

Anyone else have similar results with an unexpectedly quick charge time?

Mushtang
Guests
January 5, 2015 - 2:57 pm

I think I'm going to try this mod, but with the stock batteries. 

Several months ago I bought a larger battery to replace the original but for some reason (probably a bad replacement battery) the replacement didn't let the heli fly more than a few inches off the floor.  I'm guessing it didn't have enough voltage or something - it was charged and depleted a few times so I'm sure that it wasn't a bad initial charge.  Since that didn't work, and the fact that in most mods I've read about the bigger batteries only added a minute or two, I decided to stay with stock batteries and just swap them out when needed.

My big concern is what connector to use.  I'm not using the batteries in the OP, so I think I'll just get some 2 wire connectors and change the USB charging plug.  I'll solder a male connector to the heli and replace the male connector on the USB charger, and solder a female connector to the batteries.  8 stock batteries are on order from Amazon (I have 7 helicopters) and apparently they're coming from far away since they have a 6 week delivery estimate. 

Hopefully the USB charger works the same when I change the connector on the end.

8 batteries for about $25, and a pack of about 10 connectors for $4.  I'll post back when everything arrives and I get it all going to let you know how well it works.

MikeK
Members
May 20, 2014 - 2:08 pm
Forum Posts: 178

Syma Freak said
A bit longer,but the whole concept is you do not have to wait 15-20 minutes to cool battery before recharge-just get 4 batteries you are flying for over 30 minutes

Does popping in one battery after another to achieve longer flying time not put a strain on the tiny brushless motors? 

I have thought about the potential convenience of being able to change the 107's battery without the hassle involved in the existing method.  I think Syma would benefit from producing a 107 with some kind of external battery access to simplify changing.   

Syma Freak
Admin
January 8, 2014 - 4:11 pm
Forum Posts: 1452

@raming thank you for your post on Dales mod, sounds like your son is a happy camper, great feed back thank you.

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

raming
Guests
January 6, 2014 - 10:44 am

I just modified my Syma 107G with Dale's Modification and found it enabled my son to fly continuously with just 4 battery packs:

1. 150mAH Eflite Battery (EFLB1501S25 $6US) runs for 6 minutes before Copter can't Hover. At this point the battery voltage drops to about 3.4V and needs about 140 to 145 mAh to be fully recharged to 4.2V. I think that a 5 minute flight would help preserve battery life by discharging it to a safer level (3.6V).

2. With a Micro Battery connector, which I soldered directly to the Plus and Minus Tabs of the original 'Square 150mAH battery), I can also attach this under the nose with Velcro and get about 6 minutes flight time.

By the way, with a Good Professional Grade LiPO charger such as the Hitek X1MF charger using a Battery connector (PKZ3052 $2.50US), one can charge these batteries at 400mA rates so one can recharge in only 20-25 minutes.

I also use the Parkzone Battery Powered Quick Charger. However, I use rechargeable NickelMetalHydride Batteries instead of Alkalines. These 2000mAH AA batteries can charge the Heli Batteries about 10 times before they themselves need to be recharged.

Advantages of Dale's Configuration:

1. Quick Change of Battery.

2. Battery runs much cooler (no longer insulated in copter nose piece)

3. Copter has about the same performance

Syma Freak
Admin
May 11, 2013 - 7:00 pm

You can buy a usb cable from say Ebay for a few dollars charges one battery at a time -refer posts above-hope that helps.

Madness
Guests
May 8, 2013 - 10:31 am

I am also new to RC Heli's. Has anyone found a charger that will work with this battery -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobby.....ible_.html

I do not want to spend 40 bucks. 

Thanks guys. 

navav8tor
Guests
February 21, 2013 - 3:07 pm

Is there  a good replacement battery to buy that doesn't require a lot of modifications?  I am new to the Syma and just bought two for my kids.  One is still working well after a week.  The other will not take off.  It will not even hover.  Both rotors just spins regardless of if fully charged and all the gears/balance bars etc look to be correct.  After reading the posts on this forum I suspect it is a battery problem.  What's the best way to go?  I was just thinking of buying a new stock battery but if there is a good alternative vice Dale's method which seems to require more mods than I feel comfortable with right now, I would prefer that.  Any suggestions?

Syma Freak
Admin
January 17, 2013 - 8:48 am

I understand--you can find say on Ebay the correct usb with the right attachment that will charge one battery at a time for a few dollars-- I will try to find a link for you

daveyiv
Guests
January 16, 2013 - 11:38 pm

Right I understand that about those chargers, but like the other poster in the thread I was trying to avoid having to spend $40 in a charger and I thought I was reading the USB cable could be used, however I wasn't finding any with the opposite end on the usb cable which would be needed to plug into the battery. I understand that would charge a single battery at a time but I would be willing to accept that to not spend $40 on a charger.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 16, 2013 - 4:17 pm

If you are doing Dales Battery mod- you will not be charging your heli with a usb cable any more-reason you have a seperate battery that needs a different charger- the mail and female adapters are for the battery- please review Dales Mod and battery and charger required

you need batteries like these from say Hobby King

T160-1-30.jpgImage Enlarger

And a charger like this one here from Amazon so you can have 3 to 4 batteries charged ready to go,no cooling down required to charge

P1000292-300x225.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

daveyiv
Guests
January 15, 2013 - 11:30 pm

Syma Freak said
Yes you need male and female connector for Dales Mod:

Here on Amazon

Cheaper here at Hobbyking you need to cut off end not required then solder and heat shrink

hope that is what you meant

Thanks for the response. So let me see if I have this right. Since the battery and the usb cord have the same connector, would I have to have 2 female connectors like the one in the amazon link soldered together to plug the battery into the usb cord to charge? And then a third female connector to attach to the heli to plug the battery in to it? So in all to charge with a usb cord I would need 3 of the female connectors?

Syma Freak
Admin
January 15, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Yes you need male and female connector for Dales Mod:

Here on Amazon

Cheaper here at Hobbyking you need to cut off end not required then solder and heat shrink

hope that is what you meant

daveyiv
Guests
January 15, 2013 - 7:42 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm a bit confused. It looks like the linked usb cord and the one that comes with the Syma 107g's has the same connector the male end which the battery also has. How can you charge it without some sort of adapter that makes one end or the other a female? Am I missing something about the connector on the battery and/or usb cable?

Syma Freak
Admin
June 12, 2012 - 4:12 pm

Good to hear it has improved your flying experience

fb39ca4
Guests
June 11, 2012 - 7:55 am

I just did this to one of my S107s. I have 2 batteries, Turnigy Nano-Tech 130 and 160mAh and both are a huge improvement over the stock battery. Climbing is 2x as fast at the beginning of the flight, and it can still ascend far more rapidly towards the end.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5