Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
S107G Syma totally submerged in water
submerged in water
Syma Freak
Admin
January 15, 2013 - 6:49 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Who Dah said
Saltwater Reef Aquarium. Yup. One of my tanks has a light suspended by two metal cords about 14" apart. It'd be nifty to fly through that, right? Right. Only the inevitable occurred  The helicopter hit one of the wires, splashed into the neighboring open-top saltwater reef aquarium. She's sitting there blinking at me for about 10 seconds before I could get to her to get her out. I almost took a pic! But she was staring at me and I could read it in her LEDs that she needed my help then and there.

Pulled her out, turned her off (heh). She was dead, nothing to loose. Right? (foreshadowing) I then dunked/swooshed her in DI water for about 10 seconds. I then took her too a filtered air compressor at 125PSI and... ahem... well, blew her off. 

The next day? She was happy to fly for me!

The next month? No rust or evidence of the incident. Wow!

Not that I'd recommend doing that... But that is what happened to me. :)

They are amazing helis -bet the fish had a shock happydance

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Who Dah
Guests
January 15, 2013 - 12:18 pm

Saltwater Reef Aquarium. Yup. One of my tanks has a light suspended by two metal cords about 14" apart. It'd be nifty to fly through that, right? Right. Only the inevitable occurred  The helicopter hit one of the wires, splashed into the neighboring open-top saltwater reef aquarium. She's sitting there blinking at me for about 10 seconds before I could get to her to get her out. I almost took a pic! But she was staring at me and I could read it in her LEDs that she needed my help then and there.

Pulled her out, turned her off (heh). She was dead, nothing to loose. Right? (foreshadowing) I then dunked/swooshed her in DI water for about 10 seconds. I then took her too a filtered air compressor at 125PSI and... ahem... well, blew her off. 

The next day? She was happy to fly for me!

The next month? No rust or evidence of the incident. Wow!

Not that I'd recommend doing that... But that is what happened to me. :)

leadsled
Guests
December 17, 2012 - 9:17 pm

I crashed my S107C in a bucket of the dog's water on it's maiden voyage.  Camera fried, but chopper ok.  Have a new camera on order, so I should know whether it was the camera or the connection.  The microSD card was destroyed.  Aggravating part was I put a new one in because of the reports that the cheap card that came with it was problematic.

CPD
Guests
December 17, 2012 - 6:08 am

I've heard that works from a number of places. Haven't had to do it, but I'd recomend it.

zedorda
Guests
December 17, 2012 - 5:09 am

I keep a resealable 5 gallon bucket of uncooked rice around for just these kind of issues. I have saved a few cell phones already with it.

JoeB
Guests
December 17, 2012 - 4:17 am

I'm happy to report similar results after dunking my s107g in a swimming pool. I fished it out within a couple of minutes of it being submerged. Shook/blew out the water and then let it sit overnight in front of fan. Next morning, it charged and performed fine! Amazing.

CPD
Guests
August 23, 2012 - 4:48 am

Good to hear it survived! Maybe next time you should consider feature=plcp to help not have that problem...

I wouldn't push my luck with saying that they're proven safe to go into the drink just yet, though. I would say that you'd need to have a few mods first to make it positivly water safe. I'm sure that there's a way that somebody could make a watertight box around all of the electronics, and could probably put some sort of gasket around the shafts. Other than that, you could probably get by with just making a water-tight box around the motherboard (for extra protection, just to be safe) and rc boat batteries and motors. Not sure of the final cost after those kinds of mods, but it's probably doable.

Raptor
Guests
August 16, 2012 - 8:49 am

At 3 - 4v microchips are quite stable, (especially ATTinys) as all of the pins are suitable as both inputs and outputs upto 5v.

As long as the battery is fully charged before being submerged it should take about a few minutes before being critically discharged.

The main issues you would have would be, how waterproof is the gyroscope, and motor cases. And the added bonus of it being chlorinated water, that causes all kinds of bad stuff to the metal in the electronics.

Anyway, glad to here that it survived its first bath ^_^ I hope it doesn't need one another anytime soon.

Supernova
Guests
August 9, 2012 - 2:32 am

SurprisedSurprisedSurprised

Excellent recovery!! Sir,  well done Smile,  just goes to show it is safe to crash in water.

Laugh  

skylizard
Guests
August 9, 2012 - 12:42 am

Short story is I flew my yellow S107 in to a swimming pool and it is still flying today! Long story - I was flying long on a battery charge when I decided to modify my RX by removing the throttle spring. When I tested that set up on my patio the wind pushed the weak battery bird straight into the pool. The helicopter sunk to the bottom in about 4 feet of water with the nose light still blinking. It took me about 2 minutes to retrieve a pole net and scoop it out. When it came to the surface of the water the nose light was still blinking! I immediately turned it off and shook/blew out the obvious water. I let it dry under a fan for about an hour. After that I did a quick bump test and the rotors still spun fine! I left it to completely dry overnight then recharged the battery. It flew perfectly the next day. FYI.  

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2