Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
S107 Quad copter.
Tags: Syma X9
Raptor
Guests
June 19, 2012 - 1:22 am

yes, they do have a greater pitch, and do give more thrust.

see here http://syma107.com/forum/frequ.....is-time/ 

wannabe_pilot
Guests
June 18, 2012 - 3:25 pm

Supernova said
Raptor, may I make a suggestion, I changed the rotor blades on my 107 for the blades of the 111g and the lift was greater? dunno just a thought. 

have you compared the blades side by side? i've been looking for replacement blades that would offer an advantage over stock

Supernova
Guests
June 15, 2012 - 1:30 am

Raptor, may I make a suggestion, I changed the rotor blades on my 107 for the blades of the 111g and the lift was greater? dunno just a thought. 

CPD
Guests
June 14, 2012 - 10:37 pm

Well, I guess I'll chip in a little more...

http://compositeenvisions.com/.....e-606.html

(found by a guy on the rav4 forums that wanted to make some custom work for his rav)

My dad made millitary helmets for a living for about 8 years, (until his job was sold off) and according to both him and verything else I've read/heard, the strength comes from the hardened resins, not the material itself, and you really can use anything to have strength, just not for balistics quality... that requires kevlar. I would assume the same would be true of carbon fibre.

If you asked me, I would layer one layer with the grain going one way, then layer one layer up one side, down the bottom, and back up the other. Then annother down one of the other two sides, across the bottom and up the other, then once more around the sides, with the seam in a different spot, and continue for more layers. Just remember to have the "grain" of the cloth going opposit for each layer for more strength.

I'd also use a scrap peice of wood cut to the right shape and covered with wax paper, then maybe mold release or something as a die. Then, just use a heat gun to cure it, and pull it off of the die.

If it's still too heavy, just drill some holes in it in some places very carefully and with a sharp drill so you don't fray it out.

Raptor
Guests
June 14, 2012 - 6:55 am

Aww, i just found out that brass is 3x heavier than aluminum.... and its weaker...... Darnit. SurprisedSurprisedYell

Edit: Scratch aluminum, I think this calls for Carbon Fiber Cool

Raptor
Guests
June 14, 2012 - 6:19 am

Woo, Ive finished all of the electronics. Tweaked the code until i was happy it would give reasonable full power, and a bit extra for pitch and roll.

I did my first test flight today, and it barely lifted off the ground Yell

So thinking it was a fault with the electronics, I fiddled a bit, and then fiddled some more.

Finally after checking EVERY wire, it crossed my mind to see how heavy it was, it turned out to be 170g (without a battery)

I think it needs to go on a diet Embarassed

Back to the drawing board for the frame then 🙁

I will probably try it with aluminum tube next

Raptor
Guests
June 10, 2012 - 9:43 am

Some minor changes to the layout of the ESC, and the efficiency of the program it runs.

It may still need a safety, but i think the KKControllBoard can handle that.

Picbasic code for 12F683 (simplified)

IN      var     Byte
OUT   var     Byte

Mainloop:

Pulsin 1,1,IN                                'Measure pulse on Pin 1 (between 100 & 200 )
        IN = (IN MIN 200) MAX 100          'Keep pulse within 1-2ms limits
        OUT = ((IN - 100)*255)/100          'calculate percentage in Hex
        IF OUT > 245 THEN OUT = 255     'set upper limit, dead-zone.
        IF OUT < 20 THEN OUT = 0          'set lower limit, dead-zone.
        HPWM 1,OUT,1000                       'output PWM on pin 2

GOTO Mainloop                                    'forever

Edit: Interestingly, the ESC seems to run just as well on 3.7V, as it does on a 7.4v pack.

Raptor
Guests
June 8, 2012 - 9:49 am

Ive not really had much time to work on this for the last few days, But i've finally got the ESC off breadboard and onto a circuit board.

The code still needs a safety algorithm adding, and some general fine tuning.

Image EnlargerImage Enlarger

Syma Freak
Admin
June 7, 2012 - 7:39 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I believe he is on open pilot but not on the team.will check with him this weekend as I am going to Tania park to see him fly his quad and maybe weather ok through my glider out to sea.

Yes there is a problem with iframe embedding.not easy to fix but working with simplepress to change that.

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Raptor
Guests
June 7, 2012 - 12:14 am

I see what you mean about embedding Vimeo :/

Unable to save
This post contains an iframe which are disallowed

the most likely reason for this can be found here http://wordpress.org/support/t.....l-wp-sites

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That guy branded his video "openpilot", Is he by any chance part of the open pilot team, if he is that would be ideal for a contact.

That's a fantastic video, hopefully i could do that someday, its a much cheaper and safer way of flying than getting a pilots license and a 2 seat plane.

As for starting a Quad copter section, it depends on how long it will be before the new multi-rotor site is up and running.

Syma Freak
Admin
June 6, 2012 - 6:53 pm

Guys.had a guy at the park with his quad that took a few minutes video of myself and my friend flying our planes.the rest of the video shows him flying fpv-I love this fpv idea-should I open a section for this on the forum,or am I going off the track here?

For some reason getting a problem showing this video from Vimeo,need to work out the problem..seems to be iframe problem

link here

A few May flights from Luke Phillips on Vimeo.

Syma Freak
Admin
June 5, 2012 - 5:24 pm

Raptor-just amazing photos and advice-guess not many game to do it-guess what just dusted off some 16 helis in a box-they are going to have a new life!!

CPD
Guests
June 5, 2012 - 11:09 am

Keep up the great work! Hope it all works out in the end!

It'll be a little rough getting it to work in the first place, but keep working on it and it'll work right eventually!

Raptor
Guests
June 5, 2012 - 2:18 am

The board is now bolted to the frame, and sits quite nicely. However the bolts need trimming down

Running two motors in series from a 2S battery seems to be giving more thrust. Laugh

Added the base plastic from the S107 to form feet, and protect the gears on landing.

After realizing that there is a reason why quad copters don't have fly bars for a reason,

I started looking for a simple solution, that wasn't glue.

By removing the flybar completely, and pinning the rods to the central column, keeps the blades nice and steady

Image Enlarger

(and it also reduces the mass Laugh). However it does reduce the slack in the blades, and ended up destroying yet another cog Yell

Raptor
Guests
June 4, 2012 - 9:07 am

Ive been looking at making a quad copter for a while. So I have started to make one out of 4 S107's

Thanks to CPD's suggestion that the tail booms are the strongest part of the helli, i have made a frame based on that.

This thread can hopefully show the progress of the build.

The concept:

Raptor said

All that is needed now is a good frame design.  From the idea that the tail booms are one of the strongest parts, i am starting to design a frame where a 3mm X 200mm rod is connected between two of the helicopters where the tail boom used to be, and brazing the second pair perpendicular to them.

Here's a very rough draft of what the fame may look like.

Image Enlarger

Last week:

The basic frame was made, for a proof of concept.

A simple pole (drilled and notched), with a S107 carcass fitted at both ends.

The motors and props were switched between 2 of the helicopters, so that both blades spun either clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Image Enlarger

Yesterday:

The quad copter starts to come together.

Using a large (800X800X12mm) block of pine to align the poles perpendicular to each other, and to support the electronics.

However the frame requires the thrust of 2 S107's to balance its weight out, so still needs some improvement.

The motors connected in parallel, require ~1.2 Amps per carcass so need a 3.7 battery capable of supplying ~10amps

Trying to design the onboard electronics to run from 3.7v is causing some problems.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Today:

Removed the wood, and brazed the copper tubes together.

Added side support bars, to improve durability of the frame.

Made a support shelf for the electronics out of Perspex

It may require 2 1S li-po packs connected in parallel to provide enough current :/

(Waiting for a delivery of kynar wire to lighten up the electronics.)

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Edit: Eureka, Solved the under voltage problem. by connecting the motors in series, rather than parallel it they can take double the voltage. So I can now use a 2S pack, and simplify the electronics 🙂

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2