Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
s107 gears grinding, flying in circles, can't get altitude
Tags: Syma X9
micasa
Guests
January 25, 2012 - 7:53 am

Supernova - thanks, will try that first

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 25, 2012 - 6:59 am

Lol, well, micasa, we've all had some sort of problem, and now we try to help people with problems ASAP because one problem will lead to another. So our biggest advice most of the time is to tell us EVERYTHING before you try to fly it again so that way we can help you, a lot of people normally make 1 of 3 mistakes, and each mistake varies depending on the problem.

God bless,
Old_Iron_Spine

Supernova
Guests
January 25, 2012 - 6:13 am

If you can try to push the gear up a bit on the shaft, as they are on a spline and can come a bit loose I just push it with a small screwdriver against the metal chassis, try this before you think about a stripdown.

micasa
Guests
January 25, 2012 - 6:01 am

OK, I'm finally understanding how this thing works. Correct me if I'm wrong. There are 2 motors, 1 for each set of rotors ('cause they're spinning in opposite directions). The front motor drives the bottom rotors, the rear motor drives the top ones. 

My problem is, when I manually move the top rotor, its gear doesn't touch the one behind it. However, when I hold it in my hand and apply power, the motor gears do make enough contact to drive the rotor, albeit with some slippage. This obviously results in the top rotors not spinning as fast as they should, which I expect is the source of all my flight problems. 

I still haven't taken this thing apart yet, but when I do, I guess I'll look for any damage to the gears. If they look fine, can I assume the shaft has been slightly bent? Is there anything else, besides shaft or gears, that may be causing this problem?

Dennis, the motors are in prespaced holes.

BTW, I'm fairly blown away by this forum. Who knew there'd be a place like this to get help troubleshooting my $20 toy?!

Freeonthree
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 6:10 pm

If the teeth are at all damaged, like the ends or the tops of the teeth ground away slightly from improper mesh, replace em, their very inexpensive. Not funny landing like a top when they suddenly start slipping.  Blade strikes are the major cause of damaged gears.  Are these gears in the S107G's all meshing via prespaced shaft and motor mounting holes, or are the motors adjustable to set the lash properly ?  Dennis

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 8:39 am

It won't do anything to the 107, no. Cause every syma has a small little pocket that the inner shaft rests in, and that keeps it held up. However, you run it without it sitting in the pocket, it'll try to catch while the motor gear is turning, and it'll shred the gear! And it'll squeal and won't get up off the ground! D: I just fixed my 108 today, and put an extra tail rotor on it lol. It goes a little faster, but not much faster.

CPD
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 7:43 am

Hmmm... just kinda modded my landing skids on my red one... they're the beat up ones from my yellow 107, and I took the metal off of them.

That won't do anything, will it?

If you have to move any gears or anything, get something (preferably rubber coated) to gently tap them with evenly. A baby spoon might work, or the handle of some small hammer or something.

They're not like glass or anything, but being that they've been grinding and are chineese plastic, they very well could have all kinds of string-like fractures that might desintigrate.

That just gave me a thought. We should probably start reccomending storing these somewhere that UV doesn't get to the gears, because they're fragile as is, but UV kills cheap plastic and PVC.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 3:01 am

Is the landing gear off? If it is, that will cause the gears not to touch, don't run it until the landing gear is back on. I made this mistake and it shredded the gear! D: and play in the shaft is normal, only because the shaft isn't connected to anything. The landing gear should help with that. And what rotors aren't turning?the top or bottom? I would assume the top?

micasa
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 2:25 am

There is a tiny bit of vertical play in the inner shaft - is that normal? Anyway, even when I pull it up and turn it, it still only intermittently makes contact with the gear behind it. 

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 23, 2012 - 3:03 pm

The gear attached to the inner shaft most likely won't budge, so I would recomend seeing if you can pull the one behind it lower, ipbut not to where it's half way on and half way off. Only if you have room do it, if you don't, try pushing the one on the main shaft up.

micasa
Guests
January 23, 2012 - 2:58 pm

Actually, they're not. The bottom-most gear in the centre is not making contact with the one behind it. At first I thought it wasn't supposed to, but after reading your post I looked again, and it does appear to intermittently touch the gear behind it.

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 23, 2012 - 2:45 pm

Are the gears touching? My 108 just had this happen, I crashed and the gears slid down the gear screw/rod, so they didn't touch. You might want to make sure they touch first.

micasa
Guests
January 23, 2012 - 11:07 am

Hello, first time poster.

The title pretty much sums it up: after a few bad crashes, the gears are grinding, it turns to the right (and the trim cannot fully compensate for it), and it can't get more than a few inches off the ground. I know I'll be taking it apart to diagnose what exactly has gone wrong, but if you have any thoughts on what to look for, I'd appreciate it!

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2