Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Oh oh..something is binding in the drive system
no joy with attempted flight this morning
Tags: Syma X9
Syma Freak
Admin
October 4, 2012 - 2:45 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

voodoo said
Pulled the little beast apart tonight.  No binding in the gears or shaft, everything turns smoothly with the motor removed from the equation. Even though I can't feel any resistance while turning the motor shaft by hand out of the heli, when I slip it back into the heli, the rotor binds!

So....I'm going to say the motor is toast!

Once I get a new one and slip it in, we'll see if all is well.

It sounds you might be correct.. Focaleprice I think had some cheap motors-Guess as now have so many Syma helis have not bought parts for months,just bag the parts that are good for repairs..I need to start throwing out some helis,you know what I can not as just all the bits and pieces I have collected over the last few years will come in handy one day--guess I have become a heli hoarder--lol

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

voodoo
Guests
September 30, 2012 - 9:43 am

Pulled the little beast apart tonight.  No binding in the gears or shaft, everything turns smoothly with the motor removed from the equation. Even though I can't feel any resistance while turning the motor shaft by hand out of the heli, when I slip it back into the heli, the rotor binds!

So....I'm going to say the motor is toast!

Once I get a new one and slip it in, we'll see if all is well.

Supernova
Guests
September 29, 2012 - 3:55 am

SurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprised Mike roave who is he? not seen him here on the members list Confused Wink

voodoo
Guests
September 29, 2012 - 2:17 am

voodoo said
Fired up my 'ship 1', with 22 flights on her and no go.  Seemed to be losing the signal as flight was erratic and she wouldn't stop a slow spin.  Investigation has now found that the lower rotor assembly seems to be binding in some way.  When I hold the lower rotor head and slowly turn it, (power off of course!!!) there is a 'pulsing' resistance, that being that there is some sort of force pushing against my action, and it occurs 18 times per full 360* rotation of the shaft. 

Upper rotor is smooth as silk.  So, i'm thinking the reason for the erratic behaviour and the 'choppy' not smooth spinning, and lack of climb power is due to the gyro trying to compensate for the binding anti-clockwise lower rotor.  Holding the copter by the skids at full power and twisting it, there is resistance, so gyro seems good. 

Weather is fair, high pressure system in place, temp is a cool 63*F indoors, and after charging on Wednesday..no flying yesterday (due to being at work) but a quick battery top up this morning before flight...with a 30 minute cool down before flight.  Ship 2 performed flawlesly under exactly the same conditions and gave a 9 minute 30 second flight just prior to ship 1's failure.

So:

Could this be binding in the gearbox, a burr, dirt, or lack of lubrication in the shaft mechanism, or maybe a motor gone bad. 

The other two heli's I have 'un-boxed', upon turning the rotor head by hand are smooth with no resistance felt, and this includes the 'spares' ship.

In any case...and I'm thinking bad motor....it looks like a teardown in ship 1's future!

Cry

Further to my post above, when holding the heli by the skids and rotating it, the pulsing vibration is far more noticeable when rotating the body clockwise than anti-clockwise.

oh..and putting the Helicopter in the microwave oven for twenty seconds to heat things up a little made no difference. Surprised 

Hee hee..just kidding... Laugh  LOL!

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5