Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Landing pads, helipads designed for Syma copters
Tags: Syma X9
Supernova
Guests
February 19, 2012 - 12:16 pm

coptercrazed said:

Yes, posted new rules 10 minutes later, thanks for that.

I, too, want this to be primarily a non-commercial site. My OP was an innocent attempt to bring a new and fun idea to the attention of the Syma community. The resulting fuss was not my intention or creation. I do respect the site originators, also the fact that they have not banned this entire discussion. I won't post any further links except to say there are some fun Syma flying accessories listed on ebay. Laugh Nothing wrong with that, I hope.

Laugh No worries, water under the bridge, as we say here Wink Laugh  

bobO
Guests
February 19, 2012 - 12:53 am

Think an in house trade -sale section is a great idea.

Steve
Guests
February 18, 2012 - 4:45 pm

I wouldn't mind seaturtle's idea of a clearing house or garage sale for "used" parts from other readers for those of us who like to tinker or repair.    Don't know how difficult that would be to control or manage.  What can e sold and what can't etc.

coptercrazed
Guests
February 18, 2012 - 2:45 pm

Yes, posted new rules 10 minutes later, thanks for that.

I, too, want this to be primarily a non-commercial site. My OP was an innocent attempt to bring a new and fun idea to the attention of the Syma community. The resulting fuss was not my intention or creation. I do respect the site originators, also the fact that they have not banned this entire discussion. I won't post any further links except to say there are some fun Syma flying accessories listed on ebay. Laugh Nothing wrong with that, I hope.

seaturtle
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 12:55 pm

i think a "things for sale" forum would be a good idea.as long as it is syma/rc type stuff.not all the banners and crap,just a place to offer our wares or our cool ideas or unload a pile of broken helis.thats my take anyway.either way ,keep up the good work.its all a ton of good fun;)

(i think this post officially belongs in idle banter by now ,becouse it definatly qualifies as such.save this forum for people with heli issues.)…………..you know ,people like us………..

Supernova
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 5:15 am

Anybody can report an issue or a bad post and we will deal with it.

I need to have a chat with SF, As he owns the site.

I can pick up Emails 24/7 And so can SF.

Laugh

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 5:05 am

No, I will not mod, I'm to young. I suggested other people. I'm not like that.

CPD
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 5:02 am

I take it you're volenteering for that mod position? (if it's made)

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 4:51 am

Hm... More like an advertising.. But the person would only be allowed to advertise syma related things, and it would require more moderating, maybe consider another moderator? If you ask me, there should be a moderator for all the intense topics that have a high tendency to get out of control, for example, the advertising topic, the general syma s107 topic, ect ect. Investing in another moderator will take stress off your shoulders, you won't have to get on as often, ect ect. That's just my opinion, I'll send you (supernova) and SF a message of who I think will be good, that way people don't get offended.

God bless,
Old_Iron_Spine

Supernova
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 2:12 am

Do you mean like a buy and sell section??

Or an advertising section ?

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
February 15, 2012 - 1:54 am

I have an idea, what if you made a specific forum topic based on bannering, that way you don't have to approve it, it doesn't spam this, and you can still keep the rules. It's the best of both worlds, you don't have to keep an eye on marketers, and they get to sell their stuff. This would require a whole new set of rules though, and I would put those rules on that forum topic just so all marketers can read them.

But don't worry, don't get stressed, you're doing great! I understand that a forum is hard to run. 🙂

God bless,
Old_Iron_Spine

drewdane
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 7:16 pm

Syma Freak said:

If you guys wants these ads put up here,fair enough...

I don't think anyone wants ads. It's your site, and you should run it as you please. If that means ads, or no ads, it's your call. I was just saying that a few unobtrusive ads to help offset the cost of domain registration and hosting is perfectly understandable on the internets. You have your Amazon store for that purpose, and I doubt anyone has a problem with that (and if they do, their opinion should be disregarded. Wink

That said, if someone creates an account with the sole intention of plugging their products, that's shady. I think people recognize those instances for what they are (I'm not saying that the OP did that, or not. I'm speaking in general terms.) If one of us stumbled on to a product that they think we'd all be interested in and posted a link, that would benefit us all. That's the reason fan-sites exist.

Also, I think there should be some wiggle-room on posting products that benefit the poster personally. If, for instance, someone like CPD came up with an accessory and posted a link to his online store, I wouldn't see the harm in that. He obviously didn't come here to sell us stuff, because he's been here a while. He'd be one of us who created something that we all might want. But still, creating an account to advertise stuff in the forum tends to rub people the wrong way on any website.

drewdane
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 6:55 pm

CPD said:

From a legal standpoint, I think it's a grey area though. Syma would possably have an issue with SF making money from their product without selling their product expressly, and might not be happy (as corperations get when they get too big and greedy) that we're telling people how to keep their helis flying forever instead of buying more of their helis for a profit. Thus, they would find something to sue about and get the site shut down, and reduce their own buisness by the entire community here, plus the people we recruit.

Umm, no. There is no law against talking about a company's product without permission from the company.This is just one of a gazillion fan-sites on one of a gazillion subjects, and they're legal, as long as intellectual property is respected (which is not an issue on this site.)

And WRT repairing helis instead of replacing them, who here owns only one heli? Laugh If I had not found this site, I would have broken my first 107 within a couple days and not even known what to do with it, except to toss it and consider it $25 wasted. If that had been the case, I damn sure wouldn't have bought another, and I doubt that most people would. Evil greedy corporations understand that people talking about their products is good for them. It's part of their master plan for world domination.

Syma Freak
Admin
February 14, 2012 - 6:06 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you guys wants these ads put up here,fair enough,must admit sick of the whole thing now-was only trying to protect you all. No reflection on your products Coptercrazed,just your post created the urge to protect people and put up some rules.

So guys if you want ads on the forum,say yes or no- I am over this-let us move on.If you require more products for sale and sites you feel are good to advertize,so be it,just consider this,there will be no protection from me or Supernova on this and I will expect commission on all sales-money for me!! Just imagine how this forum will go-your choice,as said over it-got the hump-yes a bit,why do I bother?

Regards

SF

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 5:05 pm

Ok, people, let's not kick a dead horse. SF, I wasn't going to say this, but now I believe is the right time to do so. As you where making the rules I presume, he made this post with no bad intention. Then you posted the rules, like, 10 minutes after. With that said, I think he understands. And coptercrazed, just go on without saying anything, a boxer shouldn't punch while on the ground cause he'll just get kicked.

God bless,
Old_Iron_Spine

coptercrazed
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 4:36 pm

OK, like I said, my post was not a banner ad or attempt to commercialize your site. It was simply a post about how my enthusiasm for the Syma led me to design and build a functional, useful and fun accessory. I wanted to let other users know about it and make it accessible to them, thats all. To date I have sold a total of zero. It really never occurred to me that anyone would take offense. Since you apparently profit from linked sales from other sites it seemed equally innocent.

So I really don't get the big objection and censorship of the OP - it seems more like some egotistical control freak reaction, mixed with a large dose of paranoia, than any substantive issue. If everything must be pre-approved by you I'll send you a free one to check it out - is that what you are angling at?

I appreciate the work you have put into the site but I don't see how my posting threatens, degrades or compromises it in any way. Actually the opposite - personally I would be interested in hearing about the idea as an enhancement of the Syma experience, I might be inspired to build one myself without buying anyone's product. I encourage you to do so. Laugh

Syma Freak
Admin
February 14, 2012 - 3:52 pm

seaturtle said:

Word.Good on ya,SF.The heart is worth far more than money.

Getting replies back like yours warms my heart-I guess am doing things correctly for you all-I am excited!! watch for more exciting things this week SF

seaturtle
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 2:34 pm

Word.Good on ya,SF.The heart is worth far more than money.

Syma Freak
Admin
February 14, 2012 - 12:46 pm

I really appreciate all your advice on this subject.At the moment I make for the blog enough to cover the hosting etc,no earns to me as such with people buying a few helis from Amazon.I am building other blogs on rc planes.One thing I do is buy the products before I review them so I know what I am talking about and the content info is unique,hence this blog has such a following and also because you guys post some great help to all.Those other blogs I will monetize differently.Yes I am a old mad dude that could make a big dollar from this blog,have been offered 6 figures to sell it,big money! But I am not going to as I just love building this site as have a passion for Syma helis- Money is like blood has to circulate,so is genuine information to help others,the rewards can be better than cash-told you I was crazy!

So have no fears guys this blog will just get better with some ideas I have,not selling it or filling it with adverts,almost a spiritual thing- lol

What I have learn't is that a blog built on a passion and content information like this one now gets over 60,000 views a month,to me that that has been a huge learning curve to progress.Other blog in the wings is about Nine Eagle planes as own all of them.Just some times perusing a passion dream can open up many ways of making dollars,rather than chasing the dollar and creating a site just for cash-does that make sense?

I talk to much,but maybe you see where I am coming from.I feel this blog has created so many contacts for me around the world,like Dale in the early days giving me his mods,Supernova that does videos for zero money,just his time and I could mention all you guys that post,sure you get my message of thanks to you all.

Hope have not bored you all

SF EmbarassedWink

CPD
Guests
February 14, 2012 - 10:26 am

drewdane said:

Syma Freak said:

...I get approached often by companies willing to pay up to $200 a month to show their banners on the blog and forum-I decided not to go that way on this blog...

You're high. I'd have taken the money and run. Everyone is used to ignoring ads by now, and as long as they're not too intrusive, I wouldn't mind. You created something that provides value to its users, why shouldn't you make a couple of bucks off of this site. (Just my $.02)

I'm gonna have to agree on a logical side of things-we have the sides open already, and we ignore them anyway. From a moral standpoint, I see where you're comming from though. This is a free site, and is not intended to have any reward other than the helis. I would personally, if I was in SF's position of absolute power, put just a few ads in places like the sides, just enough to pay for web hosting fees and help pay for upkeep and whatnot.

From a legal standpoint, I think it's a grey area though. Syma would possably have an issue with SF making money from their product without selling their product expressly, and might not be happy (as corperations get when they get too big and greedy) that we're telling people how to keep their helis flying forever instead of buying more of their helis for a profit. Thus, they would find something to sue about and get the site shut down, and reduce their own buisness by the entire community here, plus the people we recruit.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5