Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Help - Remote won't light up - brand new batteries
Tags: Syma X9
CPD
Guests
January 10, 2013 - 2:24 am

That's an interesting point. I wonder if something went haywire somewhere, and is causing corrosion. They could be using bad metal, they could be using remotes that were damaged but looked ok and were ok for a while before coroding. Who knows what they did that didn't work.

orion4643
Guests
January 9, 2013 - 3:01 pm

GadgetDad said
Ordered from amazon, helicopter charges fine but after adding brand new batteries to the remote nothing happens - it doesn't light up at all.  At this point, we've tried dozens of new batteries.  We even ordered an additional unit and it came from a different vendor and has the exact same problem - no lights nor response from the remote.  Is there anything we are missing or do we just move on and try a different brand?  So frustrating, especially since we are handy and tinker with small electronics often.

Got the exact same problem:  No response from my controller light, or from the properly charged copter.  I replaced the batteries in the controller and still got nothing.  Went to look again, and, sure enough, there was a fair amount of corrosion between the ends of the some of the batteries and the metal contact plates.  (I live near the ocean for part of the year.  Uuuyyy...)

So...  Since I was sure the warrenty was long expired, I took a chance on some emergency surgery.  I pried the affected metal conacts out of the battery compartment of the controller with a set of fine tweezers.  These were the contacts that happen to be in the middle of the battery series (between batts 2 & 3, also the one between 4 & 5), NOT the ones that attach to the wires at the ends, that lead inside the controller.  Prying these out would require soldering them back in, which I was never good at.

Anyway, I stirred up a tiny mixture of water and baking soda, making a thick slurry, then cleaned the metal pieces carefully with an old tooth brush, making sure to clean the springs without breaking them off the plates.  I dried them thoroughly with kleenex and put them back into the battery compartment, reinstalled the batteries, and Bam!  Works fine!  Full response and range of operation!  (Rather proud of myself)

For any long periods of non-use, I plan to store the controller with the batteries removed, sealed into a ziplock bag with a few of those tiny pouches of moisture-absorbing desiccant, the kind you find shipped inside new packages of electronic equipment.  Hopefully this will prevent it from happeneing again.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

CPD
Guests
January 7, 2013 - 1:56 am

You can call up amazon, and they'll replace them. Their website might just have an option for returns, but their customer support can and will replace them. Just make sure to tell them the exact problem.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 6, 2013 - 1:25 pm

Just call who up - Syma?  With Amazon, I've marked them for return and my only option is a refund upon receipt, there is no exchange or anything.  It would mean I would have to risk another third purchase that could be another dud.  It's a gift from a grandparent which dirt her complicates it.  If one of you that has a amazon store that sells them for 25 via amazon prime and if you would be willing to open and test the remote than I would purchase from you.  Please advise, thanks.

CPD
Guests
January 6, 2013 - 12:52 am

You're not going to find a better heli. There's other good ones, but nothing nearly as good. Just call them up, explain the problem, explain what you've done to try to correct the issue, and then they should exchange them for ones with good remotes. (or at least swap remotes) There's a number of them with bad remotes hitting the forum, so it's just a bad batch, and if you talk to them, they should take them back and exchange them with new ones with no problem.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 5, 2013 - 7:29 am

Unfortunately these are not fakes based on everything I've read on your site - correct packaging, logos, etc.  Even comes from one of your preferred vendors listed "Halley R Us".  I am going to have to send both back at this point, I don't want to open the remote and void the warranty.  Copters worked fine (lit up and charged correctly), just neither remote.

Can you please provide an alternative helicopter that has a good reputation that is also easy to fly so I can get my son something else that will work upon arrival?  Thank you all for your help!

CPD
Guests
January 5, 2013 - 1:27 am

Hmmm... sounds like they're sending blame to Amazon, and it's aparant that corprate syma is definately in china. ;)

Syma Freak
Admin
January 4, 2013 - 6:24 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well got a quick reply back from Syma.... below .Just to consider I feel after some research you might have fake Syma helis -- you can buy just a remote from Amazon-my only problem with that is genuine remote will not bind with a fake heli or vicer versa.I just feel in my water something is wrong here and suspect fakes-guys private message me the sellers on Amazon you bought from as want to check if they are two the same-if you understand? Also Zedorda mentioned bought direct from the Syma factory-you are not able to do that-there are a few websites like symatoystore.com etc that is not Syma..just be aware of that.

Hello John ,

Happy New Year !

Tks your comment and support SYMA heli for so many years.

I think you may complain with Amazon for the faulty ,then Amazone may help you sove the issues .

Any questions pls feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Linda
Syma Toys Industrial Co., Ltd
Add: # 2Road West Xingye Laimei Industrial Park Chenghai Shantou Guangdong
Tel: 86-754-86381562
P.H. 86-134 3388 5075
Fax: 86-754-86395098

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

Syma Freak
Admin
January 3, 2013 - 4:39 pm

Ok,I just sent email to the Syma company to see if they can put some views on remotes and if they are aware of any problems-Might take a few days for reply. SF

Syma Freak
Admin
January 3, 2013 - 4:21 pm

GadgetDad said
Ok, well it sounds like best decision is to return this one too.  Honestly, at this point, I'm hesitant to order another from Syma.  Is there another helicopter manufacturer sold on Amazon that is a good alternative?

Now I have bought from other sellers not on Amazon, like Lightake and Focalprice both free shipping- also All-Battery.com all been genuine helis, as for some reason Amazon will not send from some sellers to Australia. Return to Amazon and explain your frustration and sellers you bought from-even on Amazon there are some dodgy sellers that reopen selling with a different name- Makes me wonder what happens to returned products,are they just resold again-bought 2 keychain cameras from a seller,none worked,got my money back and seller disappeared. As a rule tho Amazon is te safest place to buy--SF

Syma Freak
Admin
January 3, 2013 - 4:08 pm

Halley R Us I think are also battery super store on Amazon and seem to sell genuine helis. Yes you could send Syma an email direct to Syma http://www.symatoys.com/conten.....ntact.html found them a bit slow in replys- however I know they watch this forum-nothing ventured nothing gained..I will also send them an email to this link on forum. Have you tried changing channel on remote controller.I am rather baffled as these remotes are used with other helis and just re badged but work ok.Have to say a bit stumped on 3 remotes faulty,from 3 different sellers..we need to get to the bottom of this problem.Let us know how you go with Syma direct.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 4:01 pm

Ok, well it sounds like best decision is to return this one too.  Honestly, at this point, I'm hesitant to order another from Syma.  Is there another helicopter manufacturer sold on Amazon that is a good alternative?

zedorda
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 3:30 pm

I ordered my first S800G direct from Syma and it took about 3 weeks to arrive. It didn't come in a full retail box but a styrofoam box. It was all genuine but the landing struts and rear prop was damaged. It was just cosmetic and the heli worked fine. I emailed them and never got a reply. I now only order my Syma helicopters from Halley R us through Amazon.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 2:18 pm

Has anyone had any luck from Syma itself?  Honestly I have no confidence if I send it back to Amazon that the same thing won't happen - these were 2 different styles from 2 different vendors, so it seems fairly widespread.  I just wonder if it's possible to work with Syma directly or if there's no hope there.  

CPD
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 9:02 am

Sounds like a bad batch of remotes to me. If there's 3 that quick, there's probably a lot more out there. If you can, I'd say it's probably best to just send it back for a new one.

BirthdayBoy
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 7:19 am

Exact same problem.  All new batteries in brand new control.  No led indicator on on control.  All new batteries again, triple check battery installation .  Still no sign of life from the controller.  I have charged the copter with a wall plug converter purchased separately.  Copter looks fine.  I'm discouraged that a replacement controller has the same problem.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 3, 2013 - 1:17 am

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying which is why it's so odd.  I've checked the connections in the remote over and over, tried to gently extend the springs to ensure the batteries are very tight and making constant contact.  There is no letting it down to cool or recharge, I haven't been able to fly it yet - the remote simply won't turn on.

The original model from amazon was a S107G - I set it for return and purchased another under the exact same listing, it ended up being a different vendor that fulfilled who offered Amazon Prime delivery and ended up being a S107.  The units both look exactly the same and both say gyroscope but I'm not sure what the difference is.  Anyway, both have the exact same issue - the remote simply won't power up.  So frustrating.

Syma Freak
Admin
January 2, 2013 - 6:36 pm

So you have two remotes and two helis and both remotes faulty,that seems really strange,Check the connections in the remote are contacting with the batteries ok..let heli battery cool down before recharge,Try recharging heli with usb cable supplied.If charging from remote to heli remote must be switched on to charge.

GadgetDad
Guests
January 2, 2013 - 2:18 pm

Ordered from amazon, helicopter charges fine but after adding brand new batteries to the remote nothing happens - it doesn't light up at all.  At this point, we've tried dozens of new batteries.  We even ordered an additional unit and it came from a different vendor and has the exact same problem - no lights nor response from the remote.  Is there anything we are missing or do we just move on and try a different brand?  So frustrating, especially since we are handy and tinker with small electronics often.

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2