Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Cannibalizing el-cheapo 2-channel helis!
drewdane
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 4:04 pm

Hobby grade

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 2:48 pm

I didn't know there is a difference between toy grade and whatever Syma's are. What are Syma's called?

CPD
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 1:37 pm

oooo... k

That makes more sense.

drewdane
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 1:31 pm

CPD said:

(unless that was a typo, and it was 75 mah. That's alright for if you want fast charge and lightning speeds at the cost of flight time)

Yes, you're right. 75mah. Embarassed

CPD
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 7:16 am

The wire insulation's not a problem. All you need is some electrical tape. The 750MAH battery is HUGE for anything less than a s031g!!! S107's can't even pick up a 500!

(unless that was a typo, and it was 75 mah. That's alright for if you want fast charge and lightning speeds at the cost of flight time)

They're toy grade, right? That's why their glued. They're not meant to be fixable. If you could fix them, you wouldn't buy more.

They have yet to get the formula down for toy-grade helis that don't say Syma for long enough life to have the user be impressed and want more, but not long enough that they never buy any because their first if still flying. (they just say the hack with it, they have your money NOW, and who cares about the long-run. Granted, that's the main problem with the world-nobody's looking out for the future, just "More money NOW!!!")

Old_Iron_Spine
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 3:15 am

What did it break? Lol

drewdane
Guests
January 23, 2012 - 10:12 pm

My ladyfriend brought me a couple of these Hornet 2-channel helis, which were stocking stuffers last year for the ex and the kid. They had long since exhausted any possibility of providing any enjoyment.

Image EnlargerImage EnlargerNeither of them really worked at all, so I did what any one of us would do… Tear them apart, and see what's worth taking!

The first thing that caught my eye was the 3-bladed tail rotor. It looks to be a Picooz-type rotor, with an extra blade. Score! Well, I found that it didn't work as well as I would have liked. I flipped the tail motor, and affixed the new prop. This rotor made the heli turn slightly left as it moved forward. I gave the motor a slight counter-clocwise twist so that it was not quite vertical, and with a little tweaking that seemed to counteract the problem, for the most part. Still, I actually lost a bit forward speed. However, this thing moved like a shot from a cannon in reverse! Surprised The other change was that when I stopped moving in reverse, it would "bounce" back forward a foot or so. Long story short: Mod un-modded.

There is a single main rotor motor, which appears to be usable in a Syma heli, in a pinch. The tail motor also appears to be a close enough match, although the wires are not insulated. There is also a 750mah lipo battery. Confused All of the parts are glued together (including the main motor being glued into the airframe) so it was a bear to harvest the few usable parts.

I'm sure this isn't especially helpful, but it was fun to break some stuff. Laugh

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5

smith: 2