Welcome to our Syma Forum - Please click on topics to view comments.You have to be a member to post-Free to join. Enter correct email as password will be emailed to you- All Syma Helicopter help and advice here. NEW- you can now change color of forum, bottom of page!

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Battery swaps
Tags: Syma X9
JMBishop
Guests
December 21, 2011 - 4:55 pm

Wingnut79 said:

.........I'm debating on if this will work-- doubling up two stock batteries in parallel. I think this will work..... lay the two batteries on their side instead of standing up, bind them down to the stock battery holder, and remove the nose weight. It will probably still be a bit nose heavy even if the batteries are pushed all the way back to the frame but this SHOULD almost double the flight time. I've cut my flybar weights down quite a bit which might help balance out the added wieght of a second battery, at least a little bit anyways........

Two stock batteries would be 260mah, I recommend not doubling up the batteries because it adds more weight than necessary compared to going with just one bigger battery.

JMBishop
Guests
December 21, 2011 - 4:48 pm

It would be easier to swiss cheese/trim the original parts but composite isn't complicated either.

Get some clear epoxy Resin off ebay and a piece of carbon fiber cloth. Then find yourself two pieces of glass. First clean your glass with a streak free glass cleaner Mix your resin and spread a thin layer on one of the pieces of glass in a area large enough to cut your finished pieces out of, cut a piece of carbon fiber cloth the same size and lay it on the resin, using a paint brush or whatever you find work best for you start to saturate the cloth with resin and work any air bubbles out at the same time, give it another thin layer of resin the apply the other piece of glass to the sandwich. Keep it on a level surface on something that is ok to get a little resin on. Apply a few lbs of weight, make sure it can't slide around and let the resin harden. No mold release will be require and you will have a quality sheet of corbon fiber to work with, you may have a few bubbles because you don't have a vacuum chamber................ Or just swiss cheese your original parts because they will fit better and you won't end up spending more than you did on the helicopter.

I could do fiberglass parts right now because I have the stuff laying around, but it wouldn't be worth it when so much can be taken off the metal parts just by setting down at a bench with a dremal.

Wingnut79
Guests
December 21, 2011 - 6:22 am

carbon/kevlar frame sets would be awesome! I want one...... Titanium would be interesting too actually.

Supernova
Guests
December 21, 2011 - 6:03 am

Hay Wingnut I love the idea ! 

I was thinking of using carbon kevlar to replace all the metal parts on one of my Copters and using the original parts as templates.

This will reduce the weight tremendously.

And I have the means.

If it works then the next bits will be the plastic parts that hold the blades.

With all this It should be able to lift a 500 mah whoopeee !!!

Needs must be answered.

Wingnut79
Guests
December 20, 2011 - 3:12 pm

I was wondering about the weight issue myself, honestly. I found that even taping just a small coin to the nose for speed runs drastically reduces the heli's ability to stay off the ground. I guess along with the durability of having a metal frame comes the reduction in carrying capacity. 

Is there any risk of damaging the heli when charging the 250 mAh batteries if they're sodiered directly to the board or is it recommended to use connectors and charge off board? 

At the moment I'm debating on if this will work-- doubling up two stock batteries in parallel. I think this will work..... lay the two batteries on their side instead of standing up, bind them down to the stock battery holder, and remove the nose weight. It will probably still be a bit nose heavy even if the batteries are pushed all the way back to the frame but this SHOULD almost double the flight time. I've cut my flybar weights down quite a bit which might help balance out the added wieght of a second battery, at least a little bit anyways. 

CPD
Guests
December 20, 2011 - 12:25 am

I know JMBishop has a large topic on everything he's done with this. He said that the range is somewhere between 250 and 350 for the best results- anything more is self-defeating, since they just weigh too much.

He tried a 450, and it would barely get off the ground.

Syma Freak
Admin
December 19, 2011 - 3:49 pm
Forum Posts: 1452
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

warchild00 said:

Have you found a range (mAh, say 200-300) that has worked best for weight, flight time, and durability? I would love to push the envelope, maybe even 500 mAh.

I'm sending you pics of the battery mod and the tail rotor, if I can find your e-mail on here Confused

Sorry mate bit late getting back to you email john@syma107.com

"Fly like a butterfly sting like a Syma" http://syma107.com

E dave
Guests
December 18, 2011 - 2:48 pm

I'm running eflite's 250 mah lipo and and haven't seen any heat problems. I have trimmed some weight from the stock setup.

warchild00
Guests
October 16, 2011 - 3:05 am

Have you found a range (mAh, say 200-300) that has worked best for weight, flight time, and durability? I would love to push the envelope, maybe even 500 mAh.

I'm sending you pics of the battery mod and the tail rotor, if I can find your e-mail on here Confused

Syma Freak
Admin
October 15, 2011 - 2:58 pm

@warchild00 have changed most of my Syma S107 to Dales Mod and have bought some really cheap batteries for this mod from HobbyKing and Amazon you have to charge these batteries in a different way,I use a usb connection or you can buy a charger to do a few at a time-link shop around to find a good charger-hope that helps SF

warchild00
Guests
October 15, 2011 - 2:03 am

I am testing the Hyperion 240mAh single cell Li-Po batteries now in my 107 and in my Chinook. I have chosen to retain the stock battery location and have soldered the batteries in (lack the expertise to solder to the quick connectors). I recommend using the liquid electrical tape (or similar), as it is very easy to deal with.

tag=syma107heli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B00176FG0A

@Syma Freak- I was wondering if you had  a list of batteries, and whether or not they had been tried successfully or failed. I would love to increase flight time, but also limit the damage in testing.

Syma Freak
Admin
August 19, 2011 - 8:13 pm

@sgs-yes keep us all posted-interested in your pcb overheating as have blown a few with some silly mods in the early days-

sgs
Guests
August 18, 2011 - 9:05 am

Syma Freak I under stand that. I wouldn't think that greater AH would effect the pcb.  My idea would be a remote charging system and removable batteries. I see where on board recharging could effect the pcb by over heating it. Another concern I have is can the flight motors take the extended flight time. I'm waiting on feed-back from some of my R/C car racers on the battery issue. As soon as I can find a test copter and get the batteries together we can play.

Syma Freak
Admin
August 17, 2011 - 7:04 pm

Guys just a point to mention on lipo batteries

You only get a few chances to run a lipo 'dead'.

Not the same as NiCads, you basically keep a lipo topped up, do not fly tell the death-In other words, the charge it comes with is about 60% usable, at the most. If you run a lipo down all the way, just once it can be done for ever-so if heli losing flight stop wait 10 minutes- recharge

Two screws take off canopy-does you battery look puffy or weeping-if so-done and dusted Yell

Syma Freak
Admin
August 17, 2011 - 6:42 pm

@sgs you can try lots of batteries-however remember what the pcb board can take-Dale shows a neat way of battery mod-bear in mind if you do mods on your Syma S107 there goes your ability to send back to seller-just a point.

sgs
Guests
August 16, 2011 - 5:09 am

Just wondering has anyone tried one of the higher AH battery's and if so is it worth the effort? I did see a 3.7V with 500 AH, it weighs 20G. just a little number crunching by removing the body and the existing battery you loose 18G's. By also removing the tail decorations (fins) this should make up the difference and give a slight nose heavy copter, just waiting on getting a wounded 107 to play with.

SGS

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 211

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

MikeK: 178

SymaGuru: 32

justdon: 9

nope: 5